Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DECEMBER 8TH CONFIRMED FOR GREEN PLATES GO-LIVE
The Department for Transport and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles have now confirmed that number plates with the green flash are permitted on Zero Emission Vehicles from December 8th.

EXISTING ZEVS PERMITTED TO SHOW GREEN PLATES
Excitingly, they can be retro-fitted to existing Zero Emission Vehicles, so any vehicle that currently has CO2 emissions of 0g/km.

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2020

“(4A) Subject to paragraph (4B), an eligible vehicle may display a plate or device which is green in colour.

(4B) The plate or other device referred to in paragraph (4A) must be—

(a)made from retroreflective material;

(b)colour Pantone 7481c(3) or a colour match that is as close as possible to this colour;

(c)no less than forty millimetres and no more than fifty millimetres in width.

(4C) No other vehicle may display a plate or other device which is green in colour.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DECEMBER 8TH CONFIRMED FOR GREEN PLATES GO-LIVE
The Department for Transport and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles have now confirmed that number plates with the green flash are permitted on Zero Emission Vehicles from December 8th.

EXISTING ZEVS PERMITTED TO SHOW GREEN PLATES
Excitingly, they can be retro-fitted to existing Zero Emission Vehicles, so any vehicle that currently has CO2 emissions of 0g/km.

Glad to see this is actually happening! I think non-EV drivers will be surprised to see how many BEVs there are already. I spoke to a plate manufacturer this morning who wasn't able to confirm the retail price, but it sounds like you will be able to go to Halfords (or other retailers) with your logbook and some ID to get it done from next week!

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Any benefit to this anywhere other than "look at me im electric?"

Reactions: ohit1 and Chrisb

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the idea is that the benefits to grow and develop once it's in place. One example would be if a council would like to introduce free parking for zero emissions or for EV's to be allowed in bus lanes it doesn't require the traffic warden etc to keep up to date with what models are eligible it will just be obvious to them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Of course not. It’s a ridiculous scheme and I can’t believe it’s actually launching.

Bus lane / parking/ etc benefits will be enforced via the registration of the car (electricity as fuel type), not a green rectangle on the plates!

·
Registered
22 Posts
[/Q
Of course not. It’s a ridiculous scheme and I can’t believe it’s actually launching.

Bus lane / parking/ etc benefits will be enforced via the registration of the car (electricity as fuel type), not a green rectangle on the plates!
On the roads, drivers tend to have a flock mentality - so the green swatch is needed to make sure that if one car heads into the bus lane the whole queue doesn't follow them!

I think only including BEVs makes this scheme game changing, now we just need a few incentives to get EV drivers switching plates....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts

I think it will benefit traffic wardens if/when they're asked to police ICEing.
They won't have to know which cars are EV or not, they won't need to do a DVLA check, just look for the green patch.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I think a couple of strips of electrical insulating tape in green just might be "a colour match that is as close as possible to this colour " to my (cataract-approaching-slowly) eyesight! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think it will benefit traffic wardens if/when they're asked to police ICEing.
They won't have to know which cars are EV or not, they won't need to do a DVLA check, just look for the green patch.
I don’t agree. Given it’s not mandatory or controlled, you’ll have EVs without them and ICE drivers who think they’re being clever by fitting them.

Traffic wardens will be able to look up a VRM in a second or two from their handheld device which can read the plate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On the roads, drivers tend to have a flock mentality - so the green swatch is needed to make sure that if one car heads into the bus lane the whole queue doesn't follow them!

I think only including BEVs makes this scheme game changing, now we just need a few incentives to get EV drivers switching plates....
That’s what the enforcement cameras are for surely, you’ll only get a bus lane fine once by blindly following someone unless you’re terminally stupid.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
360 Posts
I don't see too much wrong with that message depending on the signal received.

However I remember when we first got our hybrid Prius many years ago the running joke was that the car emitted clouds of smug. And there will be a bit of that I believe, but why not be proud of being an early adopter, eco pioneer or however you may want to think of it.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I think the idea is that the benefits to grow and develop once it's in place. One example would be if a council would like to introduce free parking for zero emissions or for EV's to be allowed in bus lanes it doesn't require the traffic warden etc to keep up to date with what models are eligible it will just be obvious to them.
No. The regulations don't allow the green plate to be used for that, it has to be a permit, ANPR or similar. They are optional and those who do not have should not be penalised.

Personally I think wishful thinking that cash strapped councils are going to introduce free parking and I can see those that do stopping. As numbers are growing, allowing in most bus lanes would also defeat purpose, so again I think unlikely. We will see...

Originally I thought Green plates was a waste of time and effort but with many EVs almost identical to ICE versions hopefully it will raise awareness.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and ICE drivers who think they’re being clever by fitting them.
Although that would be against the law to fit them to a non “eligible vehicle” - the law says that "means a vehicle to which these regulations apply and which cannot produce any tailpipe emissions"

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would’ve definitely supported this more if it was a green tax disc (and we still had those obviously)

Still pointless virtue signalling but the fact it would be issued in a regulated, controlled manner and every eligible vehicle would be given one would increase the effectiveness.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although that would be against the law to fit them to a non “eligible vehicle” - the law says that "means a vehicle to which these regulations apply and which cannot produce any tailpipe emissions"

Yeah because the law makes a huge difference to the number of dodgy number plates around (mis spacing, dodgy fonts, images in place of country flags,tiny font rear plates on motorbikes, etc etc etc)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
traffic wardens if/when they're asked to police ICEing
That will never happen.
In Hereford there are some Fast charge points where the parking is for "EVs only while charging". I happened to come to collect my car as a "Parking Enforcement Officer" walked past a Defender parked in one space ICE'ing it so I pointed it out. "We've been told not to enforce that" was his response, which when I checked was true. :eek: :mad:

Reactions: TJEV

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. The regulations don't allow the green plate to be used for that, it has to be a permit, ANPR or similar. They are optional and those who do not have should not be penalised.
I think you are confusing the situation now in 2020 with where this is likely heading. These things so often start start optional...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
I would’ve definitely supported this more if it was a green tax disc (and we still had those obviously)
I'd better look for a green beer mat to display then. :devilish:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
I think you are confusing the situation now in 2020 with where this is likely heading. These things so often start start optional...
Cynic. But don't forget once there are a significant number of EVs they will no longer need to incentivise them, and it will be back to BAU of attempting to restrict the growth of traffic and replacement of the lost fuel revenue.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts