Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Had my ZS EV for a few days and now need to charge it. I have a QUBEV charger and the instructions tell me to connect to the car first. However the car instructions say to connect the charger first. Any advice most welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can plug in either end first..however when unplugging, be sure to unplug the car end first and then the other end (charger end)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Its a 50 / 50 chance you get it wrong, and remember that if you do, your car will go bang, and thats all you rmoney lost.

Just joking, plug the charger into the mains first and switch it on, and then plug it into the car. Even if you get it wrong, nothing bad will happen, other than it won't charge. And then as said, unplug tha car first, switch off and unplug the charger - and get really excited about getting a fixed wall charger and not having to do all that over and over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really don't think it matters. There are two pins which signal the connectivity. Only once these are connected will the car and charger negotiate the connection. You will hear the relays on the car during this. This signalling is only 12v. Takes a couple of seconds for them to agree and charging to start. Sometimes, either end can get confused. I periodically have to power cycle my Podpoint or start/stop the car.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Either or. It’s Zoe that’s fussy.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for all the replies-most reassuring. Have plugged in the charger first then the car and got a green light on the charger and MG’s wonderfully named ‘breathing light’ started to breathe, ie the badge light over the charging port slowly gets brighter and darker. Think that’s it and will see what the charge is in the morning.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,126 Posts
I would suggest the habit of wallbox first then car. That’s what Ohme recommend. I think that’s what you do with Pod-Point as well, plus when disconnecting take out of the car first as soon as you have unlocked-within 30 seconds or it locks it back in place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I seem to break the rules.

I connect the plug to the car first then the charger plug. When disconnecting I remove the plug from the charger first and then the plug from the car. Only once you are all connected do you hear the relays click and the charge start. Again when you open the door the relays click charging stops and you can disconnect. I really don't think the sequence matters as there are safety features built in to the handshake procedures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Range was 139 miles after a charge from 33 miles when the warning came up. Don’t know how to check the voltage but the range is well short of the manufacture’s figure which I think was 163 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We don't get ours until Thursday so I'm not certain how to get it on myself but from what I've read Volts is a better indicator rather than range as that varies due to driving mode and style, weather, things running in background etc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m not sure about this but I think it gets to know your driving and as you say it depends on driving mode, have only driven it in ‘normal’ mode and KERS on setting 2. Also lots of demisting / defrosting since it arrived on Wednesday and had to try the heated seats.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,986 Posts
Don’t know how to check the voltage
Hi, John

Once the car is fully started and ready and you can see the speed showing 0 mph. Use the arrow keys on the right hand side of the steering wheel to press down 3 times (first press shows journey efficiency, second show average efficiency and last shows power usage/ charging speed). On that screen you'll see a number for volts and amps. Full charge should show somewhere near to 455 volts. Mines showing around 454 at the moment with the cold mornings. I expect thet to improve as it warms up.

BTW if you get to this screen whilst charging (you need to 'start' the car, but it should be incapable of going into Drive or Reverse) you'll see the volts and amps figures again, but the amps will be negative (means power coming in as opposed to out). If you multiply the volts x amps you'll get the kW figures. So typically at a Geniepoint charger I'd see 395 x 12 which gives a charging speed around 47 kW.

Reactions: Bombuzal and lukemo

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Neilew's car must be running an older BMS. For a new car, once fully charged and with heating/air con off I'd expect to see 449V. This will drop as battery is used.

The range remaining display is known as the Guess - o - Meter or GoM. It is only a guide and will change depending on drive mode (E, N or S), ambient temperature, which accessories are used (especially heating and air con), how the car was previously driven etc. In my experience, true range can be anything from 100 miles of high speed driving in winter to nearly 200 miles when pootling around in summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts