Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the 1st April later this week, and I thought the extra VED surcharge was being eliminated for EVs, as per:

However the latest publication from the DVLA states it is still payable:

Looking around it's a bit unclear what's going on. The DVLA tax checker thinks I still owe them £320 per year.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Have you actually had a renewal notice from DVLA yet ?

Some of the references to "alternative fuel cars" in the table quoted seem to refer to plug hybrid vehicles rather than BEVs.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,367 Posts
Yes. But they made a point of staying it from several sources.
Sorry, but I don't understand. Which car have you got and when was it registered?

I'm reading £320/year for a car registered on or after 2001 with a CO2 level of 201 - 225. That's quite some level of CO2.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2 Posts
The following Government website clearly states:

Who is likely to be affected
This will affect owners of zero-emission cars first registered from 1 April 2017.
General description of the measure
This measure will exempt all registered zero-emission light passenger vehicles registered from 1 April 2017 until 31 March 2025 from the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) supplement for light passenger vehicles with a list price exceeding £40,000, starting from April 2020.
Policy objective
This measure will incentivise the uptake of zero-emission light passenger vehicles by reducing their VED liabilities. This will support the government’s ambition to increase zero-emission vehicle uptake.
Background to the measure
This measure was announced at Budget 2020 and will be legislated for in Finance Bill 2020.
Detailed proposal
Operative date
The change in the law will apply from 1 April 2020. This change will apply to all zero-emission vehicles registered from 1 April 2017 until 31 March 2025.
Current law
Section 1 of the Vehicle and Registration Act (VERA) 1994 provides for the charging of VED. Section 2 of VERA provides that VED in respect of a vehicle of any description is chargeable by reference to the applicable rate specified in Schedule 1 of VERA.
Proposed revisions
S1GE of Part 1AA, Schedule 1 to VERA will be amended to exclude vehicles which are zero-emission.

Policy paper Vehicle Excise Duty rates for zero-emission vehicles Published 11 March 2020

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
I would guess it's a matter of slowness to update systems etc during this crisis.

I had a new PAYE coding notice through yesterday for 20/21 which zero'd my BiK as per the latest budget. IMO they published this all so close to the new tax year it's going to take some time to filter through.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it should all revert when I check it on the 1st April?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now confirmed - DVLA website has been updated to reflect the changes and now quotes me £0.00 to renew the road tax on the Model X for the year.

If you are paying the additional charge currently, worth going in and getting a refund and then re-applying for tax.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
To clarify, declare your car SORN to gain the refund then apply for 12 months at the new rate. Because of the delay you will have lost the month of April and it is worth checking whether there is an admin fee - there should not be.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To clarify, declare your car SORN to gain the refund then apply for 12 months at the new rate. Because of the delay you will have lost the month of April and it is worth checking whether there is an admin fee - there should not be.
This is what I did, I don't think the DVLA are nice enough to automatically give you your money back for the rest of the year or cancel your direct debit.

Note, if you SORN your car, you can't tax it online for 5 days. Which is fine if like me you're not using it.

There was no admin fee and I cancelled in March to avoid the charge for April. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts