Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so as I understand it, back on 1 April 2017 the UK Government introduced a luxury car tax where the owner of a vehicle registered after this date had to pay an annual luxury car tax of £325 if the car was £40k or more. This was paid for 5 years starting from the 1st year after the registration date. The fact the vehicle was an EV made no difference.

I've just learnt that from 1 April 2020 the rules have changed again and now all EVs will be exempt from the luxury car tax (hurray!!). But my questions are:
1. What happens to EVs that were registered between 1 April 2017 and 1 April 2020? Do they carry on paying the luxury tax?
2. If the answer above is no, do they have an option to get back the money paid to date for the luxury car tax?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,290 Posts
Yes, pure EVs registered since April 17 no longer have to pay the additional tax.

There may be an issue with DVLA systems, which will continue to take the money for the additional tax until the renewal date.

In my case I SORN’d the car and then taxed it 5 days later.

If you’ve paid up front for the year (for instance in January), then you may have to SORN the car to get a refund. Then re-tax it at the new zero rate.

HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts