Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For EV drivers who are planning to travel via London's Congestion Charge Zone. Please be aware that many EV drivers have received Congestion Charge Penalty. They were advised that there is no congestion charge for EV's but they were not informed that the electric cars have to be registered on TFL website first. The registration fee is £10 and has to be renewed every year. Make sure you register your electric vehicle to avoid the penalty. The penalty is £65 if paid in two weeks then £195.

More details here: Discounts & exemptions

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
note that this comment, in the government websites, is proving a nightmare to obtain

Petrol hybrid vehicles only

You must also submit a photocopy of the conformity certificate as provided by the vehicle dealership.

Quite why the v5c detail, or indeed just the reg number, isn't sufficient is beyond me.
Shurely the cameras read the reg, and to send you a fine they have to get dvla detail, which are the people who own the v5c.........

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
Even though the Dartford Crossing is labelled a Congestion Charge with the same logo, there are no exemptions there!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was OK on reg & V5 doc for my Leaf. I read somewhere that they intend to start congestion charging for most PHEVs under a certain pure electric range, while pure BEVs will remain exempt. Some PHEVs will still qualify for a reduced rate, but many current PHEVs won't be exempt. The nature & ("official") EV range of PHEVs is a rather muddy affair which is why they need to see the conformity for your particular version of your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
From name, logo and web site I assume you are a business? If so a mod will be along soon to ask you to add your business details to your signature...

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
I was OK on reg & V5 doc for my Leaf
That will be because it is a BEV not a PHEV ;)

I didn't bother registering my second Ampera as always park at Westfield and get tube. Sounds a pain for plugins though...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Petrol hybrid vehicles only

You must also submit a photocopy of the conformity certificate as provided by the vehicle dealership.
You only need the certificate if the car isn't UK registered. The wording on the site is confusing.

I signed up successfully a couple of weeks ago with just the v5.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For EV drivers who are planning to travel via London's Congestion Charge Zone. Please be aware that many EV drivers have received Congestion Charge Penalty. They were advised that there is no congestion charge for EV's but they were not informed that the electric cars have to be registered on TFL website first. The registration fee is £10 and has to be renewed every year. Make sure you register your electric vehicle to avoid the penalty. The penalty is £65 if paid in two weeks then £195.

More details here: Discounts & exemptions
If you read the TFL website it is quite unambiguous. The only issue occurs where people make ill dounded 'assumptions' ... if you can't be bothered to check then you ought not be surprised when you get fined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts