Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting fed up with my We Connect app not communicating with the car. I wondered if this was due to bad mobile coverage.
So the idea is to have the car connected to the home wi-fi (it sits on the drive outside the house) and see if that makes any difference.
Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep. Mine is on the drive and hooks up to the WiFi. We connect is still v slow. I think the best possible solution would be to leave an old phone on a cheap data tarrif as a hotspot in the car itself. You can connect to it anywhere then. If I decide to keep the app running I'll likely do this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's possible it uses both. I was away from home the other day and any the command to preheat. Never happened. Could have not waited long enough but it was definitely not turned on when I got in the car.

Is there a web portal that you can use if not able to get to your phone?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is there a web portal that you can use if not able to get to your phone?
Funny you should ask that as just got an Email yesterday from VW "We are starting spring with some key changes we want to update you on: the We Connect web portal will say goodbye on 27.04.2021. You can of course continue to use your mobile online services"

·
Registered
306 Posts
The issue with most of these telemetry systems is that the designers want the standby power draw to be negligible. It's lower power draw to leave a GSM module connected and idle, waiting for an SMS to wake it up, when it actually fires up the data connection, than it is to maintain an always-on 2G/3G/4G internet connection. The VW central mothership, just like the Nissan Connect stuff, will see an incoming request for a particular vehicle, look up the private SMS number for it, and send a wake up call SMS, and get the vehicle to call home.
Tesla seem to leave the cars telemetry systems online, which is why their traction batteries drain a lot quicker than others when parked up and idle, at the expense of a more responsive remote control experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh dear VW. Must have not had enough users. I doubt I'll be paying for continued if the app then. I just don't use it enough. I think I've used it twice in anger since getting the car in December. Preset charge/heat I use all the time and will happily program that in the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Really not surprised they've no users, We Connect is awful and there's no way I would have rented it when it expired 5 months ago. The only thing I miss is the live traffic on the nav.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pretty sure I read we-connect for the GTE's uses text messages(!) to communicate, so I don't think connecting to wifi is the answer.

Happy to be wrong..
I was also told this by VW UK during one of my many complaints to them about it not working. It did work sometimes but was too unreliable for me to continue the subscription. With being stuck at home for the last year, I've not really missed it!

Also, the car will only connect to WiFi when ignition is on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts