Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My i3S is now 3 years old and the "complimentary" Connected Drive services are about to expire. BMW sent me an email with a link to extend the service. When I follow the link, there are about 8 services with apparently overlapping coverage. All I really want is the continuation of live traffic reporting, and it is not clear which bundle includes it.
So my questions:
  • Have others extended their Connected Drive subscription?
  • If so, which ones have you found useful to continue?
  • Which bundle(s) include live traffic updates?
  • Any other experiences/suggestions - I am mindful BMW software does not always work reliably, so not sure about paying a subscription fee for a service that does not work properly.
Thanks in advance.

Robert

PS now I have a Tesla M3 as well, and love it, but I still love the i3. So much fun to drive and so spacious inside compared to the tiny exterior dimensions. A shame BMW did not develop a next generation variant and has gone instead with clunky SUV tanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My i3S is now 3 years old and the "complimentary" Connected Drive services are about to expire. BMW sent me an email with a link to extend the service. When I follow the link, there are about 8 services with apparently overlapping coverage. All I really want is the continuation of live traffic reporting, and it is not clear which bundle includes it.
So my questions:
  • Have others extended their Connected Drive subscription?
  • If so, which ones have you found useful to continue?
  • Which bundle(s) include live traffic updates?
  • Any other experiences/suggestions - I am mindful BMW software does not always work reliably, so not sure about paying a subscription fee for a service that does not work properly.
Thanks in advance.

Robert

PS now I have a Tesla M3 as well, and love it, but I still love the i3. So much fun to drive and so spacious inside compared to the tiny exterior dimensions. A shame BMW did not develop a next generation variant and has gone instead with clunky SUV tanks.
i just use the basic free version and have traffic updates on the sat nav, im not flash enough to have a new car so i've never had the connected services beyond "free"

if i'm supposed to have traffic updates or not i have no idea, it just works. (66 plate)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just use the basic free version and have traffic updates on the sat nav
Does that mean traffic updates continue, even without a subscription? I'm in no hurry to pay for a subscription, not at all, I despise the idea. But I do find traffic updates important to have in many situations.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
662 Posts
Traffic updates can be provided over FM/DAB radio services, but I don't know if the iDrive pulls them that way or uses some other service which may have more complete data. Traditional sat navs use FM/DAB receivers to pull the data. All I would want from the extended services would be the app to keep working for remote commands and readings of the car status, and perhaps I might consent to purchase the odd map update if it was a reasonable price .. (I remember when a "map update" was £7.99 from the motorway services. They were easier to search, too..)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I would want from the extended services would be the app to keep working for remote commands and readings of the car status
Well, deciphering the page BMW linked, it appears the app keeps working without any Connected Services subscription. But it was quite difficult to follow what is and is not in the different packages.

So I am wondering if any on the forum who have gone past the magic 3 year limit can confirm what still works and what disappears.

·
Registered
i3REx 66 reg (2017) Protonic Blue, Prof Media pkge, 19" Turbine wheels, LED lights, 5yr Service Pkge
45 Posts
So I am wondering if any on the forum who have gone past the magic 3 year limit can confirm what still works and what disappears.
[/QUOTE]
I went passed the magic three year limit in January 2020. For some reason BMW showed that the Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) continued on my car until 2nd March 2020. This was the only service I wanted to renew, because it is useful to know beforehand whether there is a traffic hold up on the New Bridge into Hereford or not. With that knowledge I can then go into Hereford, the longer way round and avoid the one hour plus queues on the New Bridge.

So, I paid £45-ish for a further year of this service. Unfortunately, it didn't profit me at all, because then of course COVID-19 struck and I only did 2,000 miles in the year and mostly on empty roads in and out of Hereford.

Incidentally, around Black Friday, BMW often make offers for RTTI and/or Service Packs etc, at discounted rates, so remember to keep a look out on the BMW website, to see what offers if any they are offering you.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
268 Posts
My 6+ year old i3 has these items as "Unlimited Duration":

1. BMW i ConnectedDrive Services
  2. ConnectedDrive Services
  3. Intelligent Emergency Call
  4. Remote Services
  5. Teleservices

You can add for a fee:

1. BMW Online
  2. Concierge Services
  3. RTTI
  4. Map updates (seemingly free for me at the moment)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. It is still a bit confusing whether RTTI continues or must be paid for. Guess I will wait and see!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does that mean traffic updates continue, even without a subscription? I'm in no hurry to pay for a subscription, not at all, I despise the idea. But I do find traffic updates important to have in many situations.
all i know is i dont pay for a subscription and if there is traffic up ahead / road closure etc. the sat nav tells me and offers a diversion.

the other day it came up with accident up ahead while driving, so it's certainly live as the radio announced it shortly afterwards, but as others have said maybe its pulling it through the radio? who knows, but it works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, the traffic updates don't continue without the subscription. Like you, I find them useful, but my subscription for real-time traffic information (RTTI) expired in March 2020 when my car turned three years old. As this was at the beginning of first lockdown, I didn't bother renewing until the summer when I could travel around again. From memory it cost around £45 to renew the RTTI subscription and I didn't have to renew anything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts