Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
777 Posts
Sounds good but it says they won't be allocated as EV only spaces which means they will be mostly iced when people get home after work & need a charge :cry:

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,212 Posts
Yes, this the problem with well meaning organisations making bids to local council who don't really understand the problem and don't have the ability to properly scrutinise bids. As long as they can report, we spent X on EV charging, everyone is happy. Well the council are.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this the problem with well meaning organisations making bids to local council who don't really understand the problem and don't have the ability to properly scrutinise bids. As long as they can report, we spent X on EV charging, everyone is happy. Well the council are.
To be fair, Bedford are pretty good at EV charging. They had (Source East?) posts from the early days, a few years ago added car park rapids, and now these for residents. The article (or on the council website, I forget) does say marking the spaces will be kept under review. I can see why they might not want to mark them (streets clogged with parked cars won't take kindly to losing spaces to EVs they don't own), but also see why they ought to be (EV owners unable to use the chargers because they are permanently ICEd) - so it's a tricky thing to get right.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
317 Posts
To be fair, Bedford are pretty good at EV charging. They had (Source East?) posts from the early days, a few years ago added car park rapids, and now these for residents. The article (or on the council website, I forget) does say marking the spaces will be kept under review. I can see why they might not want to mark them (streets clogged with parked cars won't take kindly to losing spaces to EVs they don't own), but also see why they ought to be (EV owners unable to use the chargers because they are permanently ICEd) - so it's a tricky thing to get right.
The roads they are installing them in to are all very busy with cars parked on both sides of the road pretty much 24/7, so these are likely to all be blocked fairly constantly unfortunately without any restrictions. It won't get people interested in switching to an EV if they see they're always blocked.

I had been speaking to the council recently about different issues with EV Spaces here in Bedford, and I've emailed them again today regarding this as well. Connected Kerb lets you apparently reserve a charger, but not much use sadly if you can't park anywhere near it.

The only thing letting Bedford down at the moment is the restrictions on parking and their inaccurate data. Nobody seemed to know how long you could park in certain locations for, if you have to pay to park while charging (turns out you do), plus there's a three-hour time limit for EV Charging in the Railway Station car park - designed for people who need to park there all day to get the train to London - so slightly pointless... and it's £8 a day (again, not free if you're charging).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The roads they are installing them in to are all very busy with cars parked on both sides of the road pretty much 24/7, so these are likely to all be blocked fairly constantly unfortunately without any restrictions. It won't get people interested in switching to an EV if they see they're always blocked.

I had been speaking to the council recently about different issues with EV Spaces here in Bedford, and I've emailed them again today regarding this as well. Connected Kerb lets you apparently reserve a charger, but not much use sadly if you can't park anywhere near it.
I wasn't familiar with the roads in question, but figured they would likely be busy if nobody has off-street parking. As I said above, if the council marked the spaces the non-EV owners would complain, and if they didn't the EV owners would complain! Not sure how they can win, so them monitoring and getting comments will probably mean at least some get marked up - and they can point to this if anybody complains about them being marked.

there's a three-hour time limit for EV Charging in the Railway Station car park - designed for people who need to park there all day to get the train to London - so slightly pointless... and it's £8 a day (again, not free if you're charging).
That's crazy, but checking Zap-Map I think they are in the council car park near the station (which I would agree is mostly a station overflow), not actually in the station car park - so they probably don't want people using them all day.
May be worth campaigning Thameslink to add chargers to the station car park.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wasn't familiar with the roads in question, but figured they would likely be busy if nobody has off-street parking. As I said above, if the council marked the spaces the non-EV owners would complain, and if they didn't the EV owners would complain! Not sure how they can win, so them monitoring and getting comments will probably mean at least some get marked up - and they can point to this if anybody complains about them being marked.

That's crazy, but checking Zap-Map I think they are in the council car park near the station (which I would agree is mostly a station overflow), not actually in the station car park - so they probably don't want people using them all day.
May be worth campaigning Thameslink to add chargers to the station car park.
Yeah the Station chargers are the Council car park, but it's an £8 fee for all day parking for most of the day, it's designed as a Station Car Park, just owned by the Council. It works out slightly cheaper per day than the proper station car park, and, especially pre-pandemic, they were both completely full by 7am. I wonder if they'd be better removing the time limit and sticking some 3kW in there instead. It's a weird installation, I can't work out who would pay £8 to charge for three hours. Ok granted it's about half the price after 10am and at weekends but still, a bit strange.

I think with the roads they've chosen, and specifically their wording, they wanted people to have "convenient access" to the chargers, yet if they just let them get blocked all the time then they're proving how inconvenient they are - if that makes sense.

Either way, it doesn't bother me, they're the wrong side of town for me and I have a BP Pulse subscription, so they're not aimed for people like me anyway. Just struck me as odd that they want to add these chargers for people to use to get more into EVs, yet don't want to make the charging as easy as possible for them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Got a response from the Council already - basically "we'll monitor the roads, if we can't find EVs can't charge, we'll put in parking restrictions".

Not sure how they'll tell if EVs can't charge if nobody bothers to try because they're blocked by ICE cars, but there we go. I tried.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Got a response from the Council already - basically "we'll monitor the roads, if we can't find EVs can't charge, we'll put in parking restrictions".

Not sure how they'll tell if EVs can't charge if nobody bothers to try because they're blocked by ICE cars, but there we go. I tried.
Yep that's the crazy world of EV charging & is a problem that should of been sorted by now, maybe partly down to non EV driving council officials not knowing what it's like running an EV in the real world.. Bedford should know better, Iceing used to be a major issue at all the early Source East points, I kept emailing the council to try & get them to understand the issue, unfortunately it fell on deaf ears so I gave up.. Things only changed when Polar took over the charge points yrs later & organised marking out the spaces for EV charging only, oh & to mark 2 spaces per charger instead of 1... All the charge points were capable of charging 2 vehicles but only one space allocated originally ( nuts )
I doubt many will bother getting in touch with the council if the spaces are iced & they will be blissfully unaware of how many people really would use them if they could, In the early days I heard that some places removed charging points because no one used them, when the lack of use was because no one could get near them thanks to icing...
The idea of dedicated spaces is one thing that could entice people to get an EV...

·
Registered
317 Posts
The idea of dedicated spaces is one thing that could entice people to get an EV...
This is pretty much what I told them. Some of the chargers are near a park we go to sometimes so I'm tempted to take photos of them if we're nearby. It looks like the connectors will be on lampposts, so I wonder how they'll take it if I can only park two cars away but my lead will stretch across the blocking car. Again, these posts aren't useful to me, but wonder if it'll help prove a point.

I've also spoken to them about it before, for example they have a car park near me with a 7 and 3kW Post, but only one bay is EV Only, which gives you a three hour limit. The other unmarked bay is therefore only one hour only, which seems a bit stupid. Not that it matters because the post has been out of service "Pending Removal" for about four months now.

I also don't understand why the Rapid Chargers aren't free to park at. Most people use them for what, an hour? Anything over 90 minutes is a £10 "fine" to BP Pulse anyway. Which I've also explained. Also nothing. Which again is odd, they want people to come back in to town to shop, and this would be perfect win-win. Alas.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is pretty much what I told them. Some of the chargers are near a park we go to sometimes so I'm tempted to take photos of them if we're nearby. It looks like the connectors will be on lampposts, so I wonder how they'll take it if I can only park two cars away but my lead will stretch across the blocking car. Again, these posts aren't useful to me, but wonder if it'll help prove a point.

I've also spoken to them about it before, for example they have a car park near me with a 7 and 3kW Post, but only one bay is EV Only, which gives you a three hour limit. The other unmarked bay is therefore only one hour only, which seems a bit stupid. Not that it matters because the post has been out of service "Pending Removal" for about four months now.

I also don't understand why the Rapid Chargers aren't free to park at. Most people use them for what, an hour? Anything over 90 minutes is a £10 "fine" to BP Pulse anyway. Which I've also explained. Also nothing. Which again is odd, they want people to come back in to town to shop, and this would be perfect win-win. Alas.
I'm pretty sure they work on the theory that if they don't reply most of us don't have the time or the energy to continue to push or know how to make them take the issue seriously..
I'm lucky that I can do my charging at home but It would still tempt me into Bedford to shop if Charging was free & easy ( Tesco Wellingborough & Rushden Lakes pod point is my go to place for shopping these days :) )
The lack of clear guidance or joined up thinking on parking & charging in Bedford is nuts, even the parking wardens aren't sure, one had to call the office when I wanted clarification & even then they struggled to get a clear answer, some are free to park but pay to charge, some are free to park & charge & others you have to pay to park & charge but working out which is which isn't easy...
Three Counties Radio seems to get the council to reply when locals have been ignored, maybe local radio would get a better response & at least get them to explain why they have ignored actual EV owners suggestions..

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm pretty sure they work on the theory that if they don't reply most of us don't have the time or the energy to continue to push or know how to make them take the issue seriously..
I'm lucky that I can do my charging at home but It would still tempt me into Bedford to shop if Charging was free & easy ( Tesco Wellingborough & Rushden Lakes pod point is my go to place for shopping these days :) )
The lack of clear guidance or joined up thinking on parking & charging in Bedford is nuts, even the parking wardens aren't sure, one had to call the office when I wanted clarification & even then they struggled to get a clear answer, some are free to park but pay to charge, some are free to park & charge & others you have to pay to park & charge but working out which is which isn't easy...
Three Counties Radio seems to get the council to reply when locals have been ignored, maybe local radio would get a better response & at least get them to explain why they have ignored actual EV owners suggestions..
I know someone who used to work for and still has connections at the local paper so that's another potential idea. I could be one of those Angry People in Local Newspapers :D.

I even tried to explain what it was like to not get a charger because it's blocked by an ICE by comparing it to Petrol Stations allowing people to park there all day and block pumps, like trying to make a direct comparison.

Yeah, the Parking Wardens had no idea about the parking costs while charging. I ended up paying each time as I wasn't sure. But I had it direct from the Mayor/Council that if the Charger is in a pay for parking car park, you need to pay for parking. I asked them to update the guidance to make it crystal clear, but nothing.

I get it with the 7kW Chargers as people would just park there all day and stick the car on charge to save a few quid charging. But the Rapids I don't get, they should be the exception, not just here but everywhere.

It's a shame, Milton Keynes is only 20 minutes away, and that's free parking while charging (or free parking if you have a (free) EV Permit) so people are still going to be tempted to go that way, myself included. I agree, it's nuts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Spotted these this morning, they are on Victoria Road (at the Ampthill Road end). Not powered yet, they seem to still be doing some works just behind where I took the photo from to connect it to mains power.

Also spoke to Elmo about Connected Kerb doing some sort of subscription, apparently it’s on the road map.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hopefullly I'm wrong but they look just the right height to not be seen & get knocked by drivers who bounce up the curb when reversing..
I see lots of concrete bollards at that sort of hight with scars on from motorists because they're below the window line...
Surprised there's no protection cage round them like other charge posts have..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hopefullly I'm wrong but they look just the right height to not be seen & get knocked by drivers who bounce up the curb when reversing..
I see lots of concrete bollards at that sort of hight with scars on from motorists because they're below the window line...
Surprised there's no protection cage round them like other charge posts have..
I thought this too, they are set back enough for drivers not to ding them when parking up normally, but yes I agree they are just the right height for someone who mounts the kerb for them to line up with a bumper!

Can't see why they won't be able to go live within a week or so, I'll investigate once they're powered up. I might go hunting for the other ones as well.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I emailed my usual contacts and got a rather confusing response that there was 'lots of parking' on these roads, which doesn't really deal with the issue.

I responded pointing out how they'd feel if we parked on petrol pumps making them inaccessible. They've said that they're monitoring the situation and have already issued some flyers to residents telling them that they don't intend to impose parking restrictions. So I think that the residents are the issue.

If they need to, they'll introduce "EV only" restrictions, but no time restrictions. I've pointed out that any sensible owner will plug in and leave their car on the charger until they want to go somewhere - there's only a per kWh charge. Apparently, they'll "bear this in mind" if and when they apply for the traffic order.

All I can do is point out how it is going to fail - I've said that they'll have to do it, it is only a question of when, so better do it right to start with.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If they need to, they'll introduce "EV only" restrictions, but no time restrictions. I've pointed out that any sensible owner will plug in and leave their car on the charger until they want to go somewhere - there's only a per kWh charge. Apparently, they'll "bear this in mind" if and when they apply for the traffic order.
Even then I guess all they can do is impose it as "EV Only While Charging" but it won't have any bearing on people plugging it in and leaving it after it's charged, as I guess the council will have no way of knowing if the car is fully charged or not

·
Registered
317 Posts
Still don't think these are commissioned yet, I'll take a look again in the morning. They certainly don't appear on the Connected Kerb app. Though there are some in Windsor that are listed as "Type 2 - 13000kW AC" so I'd certainly like to try those out...!

Also I mentioned to Connected Kerb via Elmo about the possibility of Connected Kerb offering a subscription (a la BP Pulse etc) and they said it was on the roadmap.

·
Registered
826 Posts
yes and the way they are angled means that the business end is going to get smashed first. My assumption is the £96k grant funding is for the Capex of the kit, civils work, and cloud setup. Happy to be proved wrong. What about funding for the ongoing maintenance, repair, replacement? Isn't that the reason that many assets installed via 100% grants ends up being damaged, then abandoned.

@ajtaylor, it'd be great if you can keep this thread updated with how the units are holding up over the coming years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about funding for the ongoing maintenance, repair, replacement? Isn't that the reason that many assets installed via 100% grants ends up being damaged, then abandoned.
I think the problem with the old grant funded chargers is that the grant was used to provide a charger and maintenance for x years. Once that expired the councils had no funds to repair them, probably largely because they were all set to free vend. A lot of these old broken units now seem to have been taken over by other companies that do charge for charging, and are being looked after again. There is definitely more incentive to repair a charger which doesn't earn money whilst it is broken! As the Connected Kerb points aren't free I would expect they are set up so CK do all the maintenance and support with no involvement from the council at all, with this included in the kWh cost.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts