Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the connected services in the ID3 use data from a mobile hotspot on your phone. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much data internet connected cars are likely to use? The VW ID3 1st price list suggests you should go for a flat rate plan to avoid excess charges and doesn't give an estimate of the data used.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sounds like VW are cheaping out.

If Hyundai can do an integrated SiM with 5 years of BlueLink live connectivity for a £30K Ioniq, I’m sure VW could have stretched to 3 years on a £35K ID3.

“Electric mobility for all”...

On your question - it will be really hard to quantify as it will likely be down to how much use you make of the integrated services. Almost like asking how much data you’ll use on your home broadband connection...

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
You sure there isn’t an onboard Sim?

The e-Golf has one, and is a pre-requisite if it has automatic emergency services notification or an SOS button, in case you don’t have a phone with you in the cabin.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
You sure there isn’t an onboard Sim?

The e-Golf has one, and is a pre-requisite if it has automatic emergency services notification or an SOS button, in case you don’t have a phone with you in the cabin.
almost 100% certain that it has an on-board SIM, OTA updates and all.

PS: recently saw in a YouTube video that the Kia SIM comes with 30GB of data included, so I doubt VW will have a worse deal...

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps I've miss read the 1st edition brochure, it talks of using the We Connect app, see below. It'll be interesting to see how much data it does use.

1 To use the free We Connect app you will need a smartphone with iOS or Android operating system and a SIM-card with a data option. Depending on your mobile tariff,
sending and receiving data online may incur additional charges (e.g. roaming charges), particularly if you are using We Connect abroad. For more information on We
Connect services, go to www.portal.volkswagen-we.com or contact your Volkswagen retailer.
2 We Connect services are accessed via a compatible mobile device. Please see www.portal.volkswagen-we.com for more information. The use of We Connect entails
exchanging large volumes of data. As such, we strongly recommend that you sign-up for a flat rate data plan with your mobile network provider. Information on the
duration of We Connect services can be obtained once a user account has been registered on the We Connect web portal.
The specifications listed are for information purposes only as our products are continually updated and changes may be made to the specifications at any time. If you
require any specific feature, please consult your authorised Volkswagen retailer who is regularly updated with any change in specification. Specifications are subject to
change without notice.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
WeConnect is the user side of things, on your mobile. That is why VW need to be safe and tell you all the bad things that will happen when/if you install it.

But WeConnect has nothing to do with the car connectivity. It is completely separate but you can use the app WeConnect to access the car's functions and data.

That is the way I see it, but maybe I'm wrong...

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
547 Posts
WeConnect is the user side of things, on your mobile. That is why VW need to be safe and tell you all the bad things that will happen when/if you install it.

But WeConnect has nothing to do with the car connectivity. It is completely separate but you can use the app WeConnect to access the car's functions and data.

That is the way I see it, but maybe I'm wrong...
That is how I am reading it too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is this different from the We Connect Go app I use through a VW-supplied connector on my 2013 Golf GTi? I thought this only uses Bluetooth between my phone and the car...although thinking about it...I do see routes taken by the car in the app - presumably using the phone GPS. I have always assumed this mapped data was reconciled to a graphical map when I am at home and using WiFi. I am wrong?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is this different from the We Connect Go app I use through a VW-supplied connector on my 2013 Golf GTi? I thought this only uses Bluetooth between my phone and the car...although thinking about it...I do see routes taken by the car in the app - presumably using the phone GPS. I have always assumed this mapped data was reconciled to a graphical map when I am at home and using WiFi. I am wrong?
We Connect Go is the app that links to your car diagnostics port.
We Connect is the app that links to your car via t'internet to give you control of charging, setup departure times, etc

·
Registered
110 Posts
We Connect Go is the app that links to your car diagnostics port.
We Connect is the app that links to your car via t'internet to give you control of charging, setup departure times, etc
Thanks for the clarification. I guess WeConnect is an iteration of the CarNet (???) connected service offered in 2013...which I didn't buy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I used to be able to log in to WeConnect with my VW ID. Not any more....
It generally works ok for me. Biggest problem I think is the lack of mobile signal where I usually park, so when I login to the app the car data is out of date. When I park in a location with mobile signal it is fine.

I have difficulties logging in to the app maybe once every couple of months. Login fails when I try for a couple of days, then works again. I suspect the VW servers are going offline either for maintenance or due to faults.

VW definitely need to do some work to improve things (as it seems do most of the other car manufacturers offering apps).

·
Registered
39 Posts
It generally works ok for me. Biggest problem I think is the lack of mobile signal where I usually park, so when I login to the app the car data is out of date. When I park in a location with mobile signal it is fine.

I have difficulties logging in to the app maybe once every couple of months. Login fails when I try for a couple of days, then works again. I suspect the VW servers are going offline either for maintenance or due to faults.

VW definitely need to do some work to improve things (as it seems do most of the other car manufacturers offering apps).
I uninstalled the app then reinstalled. Working again. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I totally agree the App offerings from car manufacturers tend to be very underwhelming.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts

I live smack bang in the middle of an all networks mobile signal deadzone, or at least very intermittent.

That my car manages to get info to We Connect at all is a minor miracle. Like you though, in a good mobile coverage area, it’s generally fine.

I’m a creature of habit, my departure times are set in the car and I only use the We Connect App if I want to change them.

I rarely use it to be honest, it’s all a bit of a gimmick for me. I used it a bit in the winter to pre-heat the car before going home from work, it was nice to see a frost free windscreen as I trudged towards it across the airfield.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Along with the release of the ID.3 there will be a new version, the We Connect ID app, which may replace the We Connect app. There is some information in Germany about it. But from those articles, it seems very clear that VW have fundamentally changed the app communication methods. So I'm hoping that this new app will be released in September in the UK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Along with the release of the ID.3 there will be a new version, the We Connect ID app, which may replace the We Connect app. There is some information in Germany about it. But from those articles, it seems very clear that VW have fundamentally changed the app communication methods. So I'm hoping that this new app will be released in September in the UK.
I have just downloaded the new We Connect ID app from the UK Apple App Store - there is indeed much more functionality on it including access to the charging process and mobile data.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts