Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been on holiday for a week. I’d like to check the charge status of the car while it’s parked at the airport, but the status hasnt updated since we left. Tried sending a few commands but still no update. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1. It's in a concrete box with no phone signal?
2. It's been there so long the 12v has died?
3. It's just the usual rubbish app operation?

Suggestion, try online via www site and see if that works

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car parked outdoors for one week, hv battery was 95%

Website gives same result so it’s not an app problem.

Remote commands and (re)enabling remote services appears to work but doesn’t update vehicle status

Just intetested to see how the charge is holding up and monitor doors n windows. Yes I know I should just enjoy my holiday!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Maybe an issue with the local cell tower or no reception in the (assuming) multi-storey or underground carpark?

Edit: enjoy your holiday.

Oh, and the more times you try the more times the car will be waking up (if it gets a signal) to check the status of the battery, and the more 12v power will be used doing it, so potentially flattening your 12v battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So no idea why but after several days of checking it’s just randomly updated. Charge still the same after a whole week so no worries on that front. I had understood it lost a percent or so per day.

·
Registered
923 Posts
FWIW I've had problems getting Connected Drive to talk to my car this afternoon. I tried to set up an overnight off-peak charge and set the destination time for the morning but for whatever reason the app just sat trying to send without the car responding. My best guess is that the bad weather may be disrupting things.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It won’t update as it has nothing to report. It will update if it’s locked/unlocked/charge starts/charge stops. So something you sent prompted an update (did you unlock it?) Otherwise, you can leave it for weeks and the last update time will be when it was locked.

That’s normal behaviour when it’s working anyway. It’s regularly down/broken.

It won’t lose any charge. There’s no vampire drain on i3s. It won’t remeasure properly until it’s next started anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d previously tried sending climate and charge commands which succeeded but didn’t trigger an update. The update happened some time after I tried a headlight flash so perhaps that works differently.

Plenty of posts here re battery drain when parked, I guess I will see for sure in a few days. Interesting to note your comment that it doesn’t recalculate SOC while parked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My i3 doesn’t refresh it’s SOC over the app. One measure only until you return to vehicle. It all has no vampire drain unlike the Tesla’s. You would think Tesla would have sorted that by now!
That is another great thing I love about my i3 you can leave it for weeks without concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My i3 doesn’t refresh it’s SOC over the app. One measure only until you return to vehicle. It all has no vampire drain unlike the Tesla’s. You would think Tesla would have sorted that by now!
That is another great thing I love about my i3 you can leave it for weeks without concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does refresh SOC if the vehicle is recharging.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Yes, and no.

What I was referring to is when the car is parked up and not plugged in. In this situation it won't refresh as there's nothing to update.

When the car is charging it sends one update to the BMW server with the charging speed and state of charge. The server then estimates the charging curve from this point on and this is what you see in the app - when it says "updated *insert current time here*" all it means is that it's refreshed the estimated charge level from the BMW server it hasn't contacted the car again.

The car also knows what the estimate is and tracks this offline. It'll reconnect and refresh the true state of charge if the state of charge is c.5% different to the estimate or if it's interrupted/the car is unlocked etc. Basically something changes. You can see if this if there's an external factor impacting charge speed - the best way to see it is to plug into a rapid charger with a cold battery. The charge rate will slowly increase above the estimate and if you're sat in the car with the app open you can see the app lag behind by up to 5% to the dash (despite saying updated now) and then it'll jump to catch up. Or it'll catch up when you lock/unlock or there's any other event which triggers an update.

The i3 isn't always connected and it keeps internet traffic to an absolute minimum.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
794 Posts
Just recently my Connected Drive iPhone app has stopped updating the displayed SOC and won't update the car details no matter what I do... unless I go and unlock / lock the car. So not much use really.

It's now 10pm and it is still saying "Last updated: Today , 18:33" and SOC 12%

If I look at the Connected Drive app which I also have installed on old Android phone it says "Vehicle status updated Today, 21:58" and SOC 31% - (It's charging over the 3pin)

The desktop version of the Connected Drive website will also tell me the correct, up-to-date information.

But, annoyingly, the mobile version of the website (which is all I can get to display on either phone) will not show the SOC at all.

I can't understand how BMW manage to mess this up so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BMW seem to have added a new negative value feature - for the last week or so it will show the correct SOC but only for a few seconds and then revert back to the previous SOC where normally it's the other way round where you see the old SOC for a few seconds and then the updated (correct one).
I'm interested to see how else BMW can make the app go wrong as there must be a limit on the different ways they can screw it up.

·
794 Posts
This was my latest email to Graeme Grieve, Harald Krueger, Peter Schwarzenbauer and others

Dear Mr Grieve,
I unfortunately find myself in the position of feeling it necessary to contact you again, further to my email below from April, in relation to the woeful BMW Connected services.
The past two months have seen very little progress in relation to the reliability and robustness of the BMW Connected services. If you haven’t already, I invite you once again to personally read through the reviews of the BMW Connected app on both the Apple and Google app stores:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bmw-connected/id1099848339?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bmw.connected&hl=en_GB
I’d like to provide a brief run down of the current issues I am experiencing. Please do note that these are by no means unique to me.
1. I have the BMW Connected app on my iPhone with my BMW i3 set up in my account. The primary function and most useful feature offered by the app is the ability to check the state of charge at any time, and to monitor the changing state of charge whilst the car is charing. For some unknown reason, the iPhone version of the app will not update the car details, including the state of charge, whilst charging, or unless some event has occurred (eg the car is locked / unlocked). I also have the BMW Connected app installed on an old Android device - for some unknown reason, the Android version of the app will update the car details at any time. Please, for the love of god, can you make the iPhone version work properly.
2. As a work-around to the broken iPhone app, and to try and find out the state of charge from my iPhone (without having to carry an old Android phone around with me), I have tried to use the mobile version of the BMW Connected website. Incredibly frustratingly, the mobile website works perfectly - except for one aspect - for some unknown reason it will not display the state of charge!! The desktop version of the website will, but I can’t view the desktop version on my iPhone!! Please, for the love of god, can you make the mobile version of the Connected website work properly.
3. As a work-around to the broken iPhone app and the broken mobile website, I have tried to use the Google Assistant feature to find out the state of charge when charging. This worked well and I could now check the state of charge on my phone using the Google Assistant app!…. It worked for a few weeks….then… for some unknown reason, the Google Assistant feature is now completely broken and completely unusable. Please, for the love of god, can you fix the Google Assistant feature.
4. As a work-around to the broken iPhone app, the broken mobile website, and the broken Google Assistant feature, I have tried to use the Alexa feature to find out the state of charge when charging. This worked well and I could now check the state of charge on my phone using the Alexa app!…. It worked for a few days….then… for some unknown reason, the Alexa feature is now completely broken and completely unusable. Please, for the love of god, can you fix the Alexa feature.
Your sincerely,

To be fair to them, Alexa is now working again - but I suspect that's just a fluke TBH.

·
794 Posts
Hallelujah! The iPhone app has now started updating the SoC properly! (Although, for some reason, it doesn’t change the time at which it says the last update took place...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've noticed that the State of Charge (SOC) on the app is no longer updating when our car is charging - I first observed this a few days ago (17/10/2019). It updates immediately when I unlock the car, but no longer in between locking and unlocking.

I've contacted BMW and they advised me to update Connected Drive from the car and re-install the app after 24 hours.

I'll post an update tomorrow following re-installation of the app; just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts