Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I wonder if any of you guys know whether there is a problem connecting a calibrated taxi meter to the Kia Soul or indeed any EV ?
Usually a " pulse " is taken from the gearbox of the car to get a signal to the meter which in turn is calibrated to the local authority rate. As an EV doesn't have a conventional gearbox I'm curious as to whether a pulse is present or can be detected ?
The other worry is that fitting a meter could in some way nullify the warranty ?
I appreciate that EV's are being used as cabs but concerned that they may be using "fare calculators " rather than a traditional meter.
I'm going to call the local dealer tomorrow to try and get some answers but am feeling a bit anxious.
I have my heart set on the Soul and with overnight parking and charging now sorted I'm ready to commit to a nearly new on on HP rather than a lease deal.
Many thanks in advance. ...Tony.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I would imagine Nissan would be the best ones to ask as lots of those have been used as taxis. Actually I think most if not all are being run as private hire vehicles. Do private hire require a meter?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Private hire in Brighton are required to use a meter by the council.
The 3 companies all run mixed fleets of Hackney carriage and P/H.
I will maybe give Premier cabs in Blackpool a ring later and ask if they use a meter .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a Soul EV on a 4 hour test drive on Tuesday. It done everything I wanted and more. What a fabulous vehicle. Up hills (extremely steep ones) with 4 passengers with no issues. Have had it confirmed that fitting a meter is not a problem and the nod from the council that the vehicle is suitable for licensing.
Now I just need to decide which one to get but am leaning towards the 2018 30kw.
Will update as and when I do.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
For reference you can count on 90ish miles in winter use. Around 110 in milder weather on a mix of A and B roads with a 27kw Soul. So the 30kw should give you about 10 miles extra. Glad you liked it so much.

·
Blackpool's First and only Electric Taxi Company!
135 Posts
Had a Soul EV on a 4 hour test drive on Tuesday. It done everything I wanted and more. What a fabulous vehicle. Up hills (extremely steep ones) with 4 passengers with no issues. Have had it confirmed that fitting a meter is not a problem and the nod from the council that the vehicle is suitable for licensing.
Now I just need to decide which one to get but am leaning towards the 2018 30kw.
Will update as and when I do.
Just hang fire for the moment ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi cabby7. I’ve been searching for many hours for a solution to the same problem you came upon a few years ago. My dad owns a cab company in Maryland and all fares have to be ran on the meter which reads time and distance from pulses. The problem occurring is that I fell in love with this Tesla model 3, but I’m running into the problem of not finding any answers anywhere of how to hook up a taxi meter to an electric car that likely doesn’t have a pulse reading/ transducer. I would sincerely appreciate it, if you could enlighten me with any solution you came acrossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I came across this discussion while googling model 3's. I supply and fit taxi meters for a living, fitting EV's isn't really any different from diesel/petrol vehicles. Its getting rarer and rare to find a traditional pulse in any vehicle. A lot of the time a Canbus interface is required. I've done various Nissan Leaf models, a couple of Tesla Model s and a load of hybrids. An experienced taximeter fitter should be able to source interfaces and work out where they need to be wired to.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi I came across this discussion while googling model 3's. I supply and fit taxi meters for a living, fitting EV's isn't really any different from diesel/petrol vehicles. Its getting rarer and rare to find a traditional pulse in any vehicle. A lot of the time a Canbus interface is required. I've done various Nissan Leaf models, a couple of Tesla Model s and a load of hybrids. An experienced taximeter fitter should be able to source interfaces and work out where they need to be wired to.
In the end the Soul didn't need a canbus interface.
The guys at radio relay tried several different ones , none of which worked and connected direct to the speedo .

·
Registered
590 Posts
Obviously hooking a meter to the car risks invalidating the warranty because it likely excludes use for hire. Whether the battery is excluded as well, I don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts