Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone – this is my first post as I'm only 2000 miles into ownership of a GTE. Generally enjoying the experience but I find the manual really difficult to read and understand. So hopefully this forum will help! One problem that I'm currently experiencing is that when I connect my iPhone by cable the media system does not always recognise it and go into the app Connect/Car play mode. The only fix I have found so far is to turn off the ignition, wait and then start again. But today not even this will fix it. Is this a common problem? Or is there just a standard routine to go through to make this work reliably? Many thanks in advance for any advice – much appreciated. ( I will wait on the response to this question before bombarding you with my list!)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi @thirdspace welcome!

Firstly the infotainment system is a little temperamental as I'm sure you'll learn. I'm an Android user so can't give you much help BUT I did have issues with cheap cables - one wouldn't connect at all and one work for a bit but then started having connection issues. It's worth trying a few different cables before you go too much further.

Just for your info though - rather than turning the ignition off, hold the power button on the system down for 10 seconds. This reboots the whole unit which might help you

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you using a genuine Apple Lightning cable? How long is it? I found a 3ft non Apple (though certified MFi) cable I used normally only to charge didn't work but the lightning cable I got with my iPhone did.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Generally the Car Play integration is good but I have seen issues with the volume control not being released properly and the connection not starting as you state. There is a setting on your iPhone that allows Car Play whilst locked, have you looked at this? Also when you can't connect you can find the "App Connect" under the car menu, you should be able to force it to find your phone if previously connected. I believe you can (on some systems) connect via wireless therefore this would be the only way to initiate the functionality.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its worth making sure your phone is on the latest iOS release. CarPlay is all driven from your iOS device, bugs will be squashed (or introduced) with iOS updates. Wireless CarPlay is not supported by any VW infotainment system as yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone - thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Here are my responses:

Cables - I have tried a few different all genuine Apple cables
Great share re restarting the infotainment system, thanks for that as I would never have found that in the manual - but it didn't help in this case
CarPlay settings in iPhone - the iPhone settings shows a spinning cog and can't see the car at all. It did show the car and was connected but I thought I would try 'Forget this car' and reconnect to see if it resolved the issue, but it resulted in this state! The 'background' setting is therefore not available as an option. Wireless connection is not available on Golfs as I understand it.
iPhone iOS is up to date.

Other issues with the infotainment system include not connecting easily to a known hotspot and audio disappearing mysteriously (for example when selecting Radio). It may be that I don't know how to use it but at the moment I'm thinking that if this was a standalone using I would already have taken it back for a refund!

Any other suggestions on this issue gratefully received!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Might be worth posting what software version the infotainment system is - could be it's on an old version. Mines going in for a service on Tuesday, I'll see what version it comes back with

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks. Re software version, in my innocence I am just assuming its the latest as the car is only weeks old but will post version - how do I find out? And can I upgrade it myself?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey everyone - thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Here are my responses:

CarPlay settings in iPhone - the iPhone settings shows a spinning cog and can't see the car at all. It did show the car and was connected but I thought I would try 'Forget this car' and reconnect to see if it resolved the issue, but it resulted in this state! The 'background' setting is therefore not available as an option.
When you go into Car Play you should see Volkswagen under My Car press this and the option is in the next screen. Note this is my phone not connected to my car.

IMG_8711.PNG

IMG_8712.PNG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pic - my phone does not see Volkswagen as an entry. It used to and was connected, but I tried 'Forget...' and reconnect to see if that fixed the issue, but now have this issue!

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have you tried forcing it to connect by going in to the App connect part of the infotainment system or are you just waiting for it to connect. The quickest way to get there is just pressing menu and then the right knob. You should from here be able to click on your phone to connect or disconnect it and change settings on the unit. This should also avoid the need to having to switch the ignition off to sort it out.

I found that phone version seems to make a big difference. I use Android but App connect was really unreliable at connecting for me on Android 5.1 Lollipop. Now that I have upgraded to Android 6.1 Marshmallow the connection is perfectly reliable. Is your iPhone upgraded to the latest software version?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting reading, baring breaking the whole system in the first week it has been working perfectly well for the past 10 months enough that I have gifted my TomTom to hubby's car and purely rely on apple maps and app connect. But 3 times now in the past couple of weeks it has refused to connect, most recently when I was in Solihull trying to escape the office at 16:00 to drive back down to Portsmouth- not a trip I want to really make without some navigation assistance to avoid traffic. After sitting in the car park for 25 mins it eventually connected.
Thinking the TomTom will be back in my car soon as a back up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts