Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting my dash back and when I came to put back the MFD touch display I seem to have a connector missing. I cannot even remember if it was there to start off with when I took it out. Anyone know what this connection does because the radio is all starting up and working OK with it not connected .... but I am curious.
Thanks.

Car is ZE20 22kw - radio is r-link1

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Are those really just USB Mini connectors?

Indeed it might be that your car doesn't have a reversing camera?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car has reverse camera and (only) rear parking sensors - maybe front parking sensors hook up to it , could be - I am missing front parking sensors on my Zoe -- any other ideas anyone apart from that?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
my car has reverse camera and (only) rear parking sensors - maybe front parking sensors hook up to it , could be - I am missing front parking sensors on my Zoe -- any other ideas anyone apart from that?
Original Zoe never came with front sensors. I'm also guessing you don't have DAB, it was an add on to the early Zoes so this could be where it connects.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your answers - I just found this wiring diagram this evening. Looks like it supposed to go to radio ? still dunno what it does though and why the cable is missing on mine!

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
From the document you've linked to, it looks as though USB2 is an optional connection to a radio. There's also a CAN connection and I guess that in the ZOE all data exchange with the radio are done over CANbus and the USB connection is not used. It's not shown in 3.1.1 but is there, as a connector only, in 3.1.2.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the document you've linked to, it looks as though USB2 is an optional connection to a radio. There's also a CAN connection and I guess that in the ZOE all data exchange with the radio are done over CANbus and the USB connection is not used. It's not shown in 3.1.1 but is there, as a connector only, in 3.1.2.
so I wonder what this actual USB to the radio is actually for? - it wouldnt be for the RS features (if it was fitted to another renault model car) because I have tried enabling RS in DDT4all and it does not stay and just goes back to 'not activated' every time. maybe this extra USB is for that ? is it a possibility?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think it's for anything on the ZOE. The TomTom documentation implies they have designed the unit so that it can be used by any car manufacturer. It looks as though the USB might be used in another implementation, possibly with a different radio head.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,508 Posts
Spoiler alert: no help at all.
The schematics have that connector unoccupied too. USB1 (black) goes to the SD card, USB3 (brown) to the TCU. The USB connector in the console wires directly to the headless radio unit, and if you have a camera, it is wired to that bulky connector on the right. The microphone is wired on that one too.

I have no idea if the 3 connectors on the R-Link are actually simply a single USB hub.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have no idea if the 3 connectors on the R-Link are actually simply a single USB hub.
The document that @Andy-Zoé-User linked to shows three separate USB interfaces directly from an OMAP 3630 (rather than a hub), which is a TI system on chip with an ARM Cortex A8: TI OMAP series. It has 4 USB2 ports, of which TomTom look to be using 3. The third seems to be available for optional use. The TI document shows one USB being used to connect to a 3G/4G modem, so this could be the one marked RADIO. I assume that the GSM radio is connected somewhere else in the ZOE?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts