Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've never had an EV before, I am considering purchasing a vauxhall corsa e 2021 model.

How much do these cars cost to charge? In uk total pounds, roughly. For example my current diesel car costs average of £60 to fill, from quarter to full, how much for an electric car at home using a wall box and how much at a charging point say in a supermarket? So total money not per kwh. Hope that makes sense.

Also are they quick and easy to charge, do you have to wait long at charging points when charging?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
327 Posts
I don't know what the Cosa e specifications are but to fill my old Mercedes from 1/4 which was 10 gallons cost around £56 the equivalent amount of energy into my Kia E Niro is £18, and that is at my standard rate tariff,, when I change to an off peak shortly that will drop to about £6. To charge from 20% to 80% (80% recommended on a Rapid charger) should take about an hour. Using the granny charger (3 pin plug) it took a total of 20hrs to go from 26%, what I had left after collecting the car from Norfolk (186 miles) to get it to 80%

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,135 Posts
A lot less than £60! It's more like £8 on a standard tariff and half or less on the cheap rates. That will get you about 150 miles. That is assuming dead empty to full and a bit for charging losses so 50kwh a time.

I charge at home so I don't waste time charging as it's 10 seconds to plug it in.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
799 Posts
Apart from the occasional long trip from Suffolk to Liverpool when I have to use rapid charging en-route, all my charging for my Corsa-e is done at home or, very occasionally, on free supermarket chargers. At home, I'm on Octopus Go-Faster tariff which is 5.5p/kWh between 8:30pm and 1:30am. For example, last week I used 73.5kWh for just under 300 miles of local driving (school runs, dropping off and picking kids up from frends and activities and some running around for shopping). Total cost? £3.97. That works out to 1.3p/mile.

So, cost to charge depends on your electricity tariff for home charging and the going rate for rapid charging depends on which brand you decide to use. Rapid charging can be anything from 25p/kWh to 69p/kWh. The usable battery capacity on the Corsa-e is 47kWh out of a total capcity of 50kWh. You will never charge from 0%.

Typical motorway charging for me is from ~15% to ~85% which is about 35kWh. I tend to use Ecotricity (30p/kWh) and Instavolt (35p/kWh) so typically ~£10.50 to ~£12.25 for around 125-130 miles of range which is about 8.5p/mile-9p/mile.

It's not about how much it costs to fill but how much/mile it cost in fuel/electricity. No idea what your diesel car is but say you have a range of 600 miles on a full tank, to fill from 25% to 100% costs you £60 that's about 13.5p/mile. If you only use home or free public charging, you will immediately see a saving. Add to that the much lower servicing costs and no vehicle excise duty, you will see significant savings.

So, apart from some issues with the app, the Corsa-e is a great car, fun to drive and very reasonable running costs.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
This commonplace obsession with "the cost of a tank of petrol" is weird as it doesn't really help people compare costs. If I sold a petrol car with a tiny tank that only cost £10 to fill, does that make it a cheaper car to run? We clearly don't know unless I tell you the size of the tank and the real MPG.

To understand how much a BEV will save you, do not use some mythical MPG figure you get once a year on a slow, long drive! Instead, work out how much you actually spend on fuel in a month and how many miles you did. At present many people are doing short drives with cold engines, for example a friend of mine did 500 miles last month and it cost him £72. He drives a Polo DSG.

That friend asked me how much my Zoe would save him. To cover 500 miles on mainly short, urban journeys he would use around 150kWh of electric a month including charging loses. At typical electric single tariff rates of 15p that would be around £22 a month, so a saving of £50. Of course, if he used Octopus Go at 5p kWh overnight, the savings would rise to almost £65.

My friend is mulling it over, but he does just 500 miles a month. If he was doing 1000 miles a month he could potentially save £130, which makes the argument much stronger, especially will some excellent lease rates on the Zoe.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what the Cosa e specifications are but to fill my old Mercedes from 1/4 which was 10 gallons cost around £56 the equivalent amount of energy into my Kia E Niro is £18, and that is at my standard rate tariff,, when I change to an off peak shortly that will drop to about £6. To charge from 20% to 80% (80% recommended on a Rapid charger) should take about an hour. Using the granny charger (3 pin plug) it took a total of 20hrs to go from 26%, what I had left after collecting the car from Norfolk (186 miles) to get it to 80%
Thank you, do you have to have a smart meter at home? Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This commonplace obsession with "the cost of a tank of petrol" is weird as it doesn't really help people compare costs. If I sold a petrol car with a tiny tank that only cost £10 to fill, does that make it a cheaper car to run? We clearly don't know unless I tell you the size of the tank and the real MPG.

To understand how much a BEV will save you, do not use some mythical MPG figure you get once a year on a slow, long drive! Instead, work out how much you actually spend on fuel in a month and how many miles you did. At present many people are doing short drives with cold engines, for example a friend of mine did 500 miles last month and it cost him £72. He drives a Polo DSG.

That friend asked me how much my Zoe would save him. To cover 500 miles on mainly short, urban journeys he would use around 150kWh of electric a month including charging loses. At typical electric single tariff rates of 15p that would be around £22 a month, so a saving of £50. Of course, if he used Octopus Go at 5p kWh overnight, the savings would rise to almost £65.

My friend is mulling it over, but he does just 500 miles a month. If he was doing 1000 miles a month he could potentially save £130, which makes the argument much stronger, especially will some excellent lease rates on the Zoe.
Thank you for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts