Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Norway and i've seen a few Norwegians here so I'd especially appreciate comments regarding Kona in Norway.
But regardless there are so many owners here I want to avoid the pitfalls of buying a car blind.
This will be my first EV.
What should I look for except marks bumps scraps etc?
Must I install a charger or can this car charge from a regular socket overnight?
Any reason to NOT buy a 2018/2017 one?
Is the lane assist function really as bad as it looks in the youtube vids? Seems down right dangerous that it wont stop when your about to crash?
I have also seen a bunch of recalls regarding the Kona, seems like a lot for one model no?

Thank you for any comment or help :)

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
556 Posts
What sort of kms range would expect on a daily basis?

Are there any other EV models available in your price range?

·
Registered
859 Posts
1. Must I install a charger or can this car charge from a regular socket overnight? No you do not have to install a charger, but with a Fast charger at home you will be able to charge at about 7kwh which will give you about 25 miles per hour of charge. From a 13A UK socket (not sure what amperage you have in a house in Norway) you get around 10 miles per hour of charge.

2. Any reason to NOT buy a 2018/2017 one? I thinkThe earlier models are likely to be subject to a recall to replace the main High Voltage battery. This may make them less expensive to buy before they have the new battery and more expensive after the new battery is fitted.
3. Is the lane assist function really as bad as it looks in the youtube vids? Seems down right dangerous that it wont stop when you are about to crash? No! Never had any problems at all with the Lane Assist and had my car since Sept 2018.
4. I have also seen a bunch of recalls regarding the Kona, seems like a lot for one model no? For me it is better that the manufacturers do the recalls and the work instead of ignoring any problems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sort of kms range would expect on a daily basis?

Are there any other EV models available in your price range?
Im aiming for the 64kwh model since on a daily basis max range would be around 150 km but Norway is cold most of the year and since I dont want to install a home charger I'd like to have the option to use the car for a day and then charge it overnight.

There seems to be a few more but I rly like the Kona and the accessory pack that comes with it, other EV cars in the price range don't seem to come with things like Lane assist.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So, you'd have to install a home charger but that's going be the case for any EV if you need that 150 km range.
Any reason to NOT buy a 2018/2017 one?
Other than a pending global recall to replace the battery, no.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Check out your fellow countryman's channel.
. He's done quite a few test on the Kona and is quite taken with it. Talking of recalls, Hyundai don't do over the air updates like Tesla, so you have to take it in, but it's no different to all the updates Tesla do (except for the battery manufacturing fault). If you can get a 2018 Kona which has the original battery, Hyundai are going to replace for free, literally giving you a brand new car. Win, win. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What do you guys think about the differences between the before 2020 and after 2020 models?
It seems like there are some significant differences regarding software and possibilities?

~GadgetGeek - Thanks im watching it now!

·
Registered
287 Posts
The new cars have a bigger, nicer screen for the media unit and link to the bluelink app. Other than that I'm not sure if there is much difference

·
Registered
166 Posts
So, you'd have to install a home charger but that's going be the case for any EV if you need that 150 km range.
Other than a pending global recall to replace the battery, no.
I'm not sure why he'd need a charger. The supplied one provides about 100 miles worth in about 10 hours. That's more than he needs. They have 240V @ 12 Amp supplying double the range than americans having only 110V.

Unless you:

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do you guys think about the differences between the before 2020 and after 2020 models?
It seems like there are some significant differences regarding software and possibilities?

~GadgetGeek - Thanks im watching it now!
I believe the earlier models in the EU didn't have blue link. Other than that it's just cosmetic things.

·
Registered
593 Posts
As for charging at home, I presume you'll be doing it overnight while you are asleep (beats standing out in the rain and snow at a gas station). The emergency "granny" chrager which comes with the car will top up the battery overnight and it will do it gently. I have a 7kW charger which was paid for by Hyundai as part of an offer. As I have solar panels, I tend to use the granny charger most of the time when it's sunny as I can fill the battery for free. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not much sun where i live sadly, but yes i intend to charge overnight (We usually come home at afternoon/evening and stay home) So i honestly have no need for super fast charging and if i do there is a fast charging station 5 minutes from home.
I am actually considering buying a car before they change the battery on it to maybe pay less and get a "new" car after lol
i might be taking some unnecessary trouble but idk.
I also noticed that many of the "cheaper" versions on the market come from import and not through Hyundai Norway and they don't have a battery heater/cooler and no seat warmers/coolers.
Having no seat heating in Norway in winter is simply idiotic so I'm glad i noticed that at least, I was wondering what other things I should look out for when shopping around - I'm sure the seller wont volunteer details about missing accessories.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not much sun where i live sadly, but yes i intend to charge overnight (We usually come home at afternoon/evening and stay home) So i honestly have no need for super fast charging and if i do there is a fast charging station 5 minutes from home.
I am actually considering buying a car before they change the battery on it to maybe pay less and get a "new" car after lol
I also noticed that many of the "cheaper" versions on the market come from import and not through Hyundai Norway and they don't have a battery heater/cooler and no seat warmers/coolers.
Having no seat heating in Norway in winter is simply idiotic so I'm glad i noticed that at least, I was wondering what other things I should look out for when shopping around - I'm sure the seller wont volunteer details about missing accessories.
Make sure the portable charger and charging cable are under the floor of the boot. The car is sold with these as new and so should be included. You might want to look for heated steering wheel. The versions with a heat pump are more energy efficient. There are pictures on line of what to look for to see if it has a heat pump or resistive heater. One other thing to look for normally is battery degredation. Some owners (like Bjorn) hammer their cars and perform deep charge-discharge cycles. If you are going to get a battery replacement however, that won't be a problem.

Anyone else think of anything I've missed?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you gotten to actually fix things on your car that were not included with the guarantee?
I usually fix my own cars but I doubt Ill be able to do that with such a new car (my newest car up to now has been 2008)
I don't mean the electric motors of course but things like springs/breaks and other simple things - Is this possible or does everything have to be done in a garage?
And i will look into finding pictures or explanations regarding how to find out if the car has heat pump or resistive heater because I believe that would be crucial in the cold weather here.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In terms of DIY repairs it's not much different to any modern car. You can subscribe to Hyundai's service info website for various periods down to 24 hours ( about 15-20 Euro from memory)
The only thing you can't easily get access to is their dignostics, a situation which isn't much different to other modern cars except that there aren't enough around yet for third-party diagnostic solutions to be avaialble.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I am at Bjørn's second part of the review and the gadget lover in me was a bit disappointed that the car does not come with a motorized boot door and the ability to open and close the windows by clicking the remote, my 2005 Vectra even has that!

In terms of DIY repairs it's not much different to any modern car. You can subscribe to Hyundai's service info website for various periods down to 24 hours ( about 15-20 Euro from memory)
The only thing you can't easily get access to is their dignostics, a situation which isn't much different to other modern cars except that there aren't enough around yet for third-party diagnostic solutions to be avaialble.
What does subscribing to Hyundai's service info do for me? Is it details about how to service the car?

·
Registered
556 Posts
... if i do there is a fast charging station 5 minutes from home.
Yeah, same "dual" charging situation as myself, except my portable is only 8A at 230VAC. I'm unsure what the Norway ampere spec is for the Kona's portable charger. You'll get about 10km added per amp on AC over 10 hours in 'summer' conditions.
You sound like the perfect customer for the older models. Note, we may soon be asked by our respective Hyundai importers to limit charge to 90% before the pack replacement is completed.
Absolutely make sure you get the heat pump and battery heater. The prior hardware is easy to spot under the hood, the battery heater a little harder but they're normally included together.
Have you gotten to actually fix things on your car that were not included with the guarantee?
There's really very little to do even on the conventional parts of the Kona. Wash and wax is about it. I was rotating the tyres every year but then found out the dealer had also doing that.
... my 2005 Vectra even has that!
What does subscribing to Hyundai's service info do for me? Is it details about how to service the car?
My 1995 BMW had that. The service info is primarily overview schematics, less so procedures. This is not a simple car, an avid DIYer will be bored stiff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, thank you so much for the info! I would def look out and make sure to buy a car that has at least battery heating, and I would make sure to check the issue with the battery replacement - Hopefully I can land a car that is cheaper due to not having its battery changed yet but would soon get it changed.
I will also make sure to get a car that has both heating and cooling for seats and wheel heating.
This car is going to be my wife's car and our soon to be born baby so the more comforts the better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts