Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put this one out there - currently the very happy owner of a Nissan Leaf but I've always liked the look of the Zoe from the styling to the charging flexibility I have however never test driven one. The Leaf was purchased fairly hastily as the dealer gave me such a crazy deal at the end of January, to the point that if I was to trade it in now (according to parkers prices) I'd break even and pay off the finance on the car (this includes early settlement stuff).

Reason I'm thinking about it? Well several - once the 5 year finance is paid off I will own the Leaf, however there is no denying that the battery will have reduced range, quite how much I have no idea. During the week it sits in the garage with between 40 and 60% charge and it's usually used on a weekend for anything from shopping around town duties to full blown 200 mile runs to visit the parents. The more I read these forums the more I think it would have been more sensible to lease. What it will be worth as a trade in at that point is anyone's guess.

This leads me onto the Zoe - prices are really interesting now especially with the recent battery rental price cut, from looking at some of the offers I could get a Zoe leased with battery rental for at least £100 per month less than I'm currently paying out for the Leaf. Financially it makes sense.

Bad points?

Zoe reliability - there has been some horror stories, however there are equally plenty of people that love the car and don't have any issues, bit of a moot point I guess but something I should consider.

Local dealership - Not sure about this one, I guess I should actually go and test drive the car to actually see if I like it as a car to use day in day out which in turn would help me assess the quality of the local Renault Dealership.

Lack of heated seats / steering wheel - My Leaf is a gen 2 acenta before they stopped the cold pack upgrade on them. In these cold months it's really nice being able to warm yourself directly instead of relying on the heat pump.

Anything else? I'm Not sure - which is partly why I'm posting here to see if anyone can pick out any flaws or point out anything I may have missed. I'm pretty naive when it comes to this sort of thing, having only ever purchased 2 other cars before this one so it still feels like a learning curve.

Is this a head over heart decision? I guess my first job should be to actually go and test drive a Zoe to see if it's as good in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
@Cjandrew I can empathise with your current thinking. My initial impression of the LEAF was that it was over-specified relative to its limited range. The Zoe makes more sense for me in that it can charge faster, go further and is more compact. I've rationalised the reliability issue – a minority of cars have had problems which have been sorted (eventually) under warranty.

The current deals on Zoe are pretty good, although there are some good options for people buying LEAFs too.

I've driven both and there's not really much to choose between them. They're both silent, refined and very lively. The Zoe feels much more compact and easy to place, especially when parking. The Zoe's dashboard display is less tacky, retro 70s, Japanese hi-fi receiver than the LEAF.

My view is that the current PCP deals available on LEAF and Zoe (remember we are in the run-up to the year end and manufacturers are aiming for sales volume bragging rights) are better value than buying outright and taking the depreciation hit. I don't think we'll see such opportunities in the new year, at least not until mid-November!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Have you looked at current 2 year Leaf PCP deals? They are likely to be quite a bit less than your current payments.
Styling is a matter of personal preference and I prefer the Leaf styling over the Zoe. Plus the extra space in the Leaf as well.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
@Cjandrew I like both cars, though prefer Zoe styling. For me I simply couldn't afford a leaf when I bought my Zoe. Now I reckon the price differential has grown even more. I wish the Zoe deals that are about now were there when I bought mine a year and a bit ago.

But say if I could switch now for a leaf complete with battery, at no extra cost? Would I? No, I don't think so.

Suggest you go and test drive. But when you do, you won't need to test the car (you'll love it) test the dealer.
I drove two Zoes before I signed the paperwork. And it was the dealer that i selected, not the car.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought and still of the Zoe is a great looking car. Being a renualt it should be a little sportier to drive. The styling and everything seems good. But they seem to have a lot of issues and typical renualt not thoughtoutness. I love renualts I used to have a Clio and it was a great car and it never broke but there was a lot of stupid stuff on it that renualt should have known better. Same with the Zoe IMO. It's not a bad car at all but the Leaf offers an eaiser and better all round package but loses out on styling.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well charging issues, a dash that reflects off the window. Other issues which you think why or how. The battery lease was an issue when I was getting my leaf. IMO it would be great if they face lifted it or made a 2nd gen without these problems.

Worst of all is they don't really seem to care about the Zoe either look at the fluence.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Well charging issues, a dash that reflects off the window. Other issues which you think why or how. The battery lease was an issue when I was getting my leaf. IMO it would be great if they face lifted it or made a 2nd gen without these problems.

Worst of all is they don't really seem to care about the Zoe either look at the fluence.
The dash reflecting in the windscreen has been addressed in the current model year with a darker dash colour. Renault is replacing the light ones for owners who request it. Our Seat Mii's dash reflects in the screen but it's not a big deal for us.

If you measure corporate interest by how much money they throw at a problem then Renault care deeply about Zoe – the current subsidies are intended to get more cars into owners' hands and benefit from the same word of mouth effect that LEAF has enjoyed.

IMO the Fluence is an exception. It was developed for Better Place and when they went bust there was no justification for keeping Fluence in the range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for all the replies. I was intending to pop to the local dealer today and put some feelers out, maybe test drive the ex demo they have there however mundane Sunday stuff got in the way so never got around to it.

Couple of other things I thought of today. I'd need upgrade my charger to a type 2 socket or tethered. Currently type 1 which is unfortunate.

Also I was thinking about the odd occassion I do a long journey - the Leaf enjoys the CHAdeMO DC socket so anywhere there's an ecotricity rapid doubled means two to choose from. Flip that over to the AC type 2 on the Zoe and I've noticed not all the new doubled up sites are of triple standard. Some just have the CHAdeMO and CCS connectors - imagine pulling into a services to be met with a Tesla using the type 2. I can just imagine the long wait..

Then on the flip side you have the 22kw ability but not many services have these.. ahh swings and roundabouts!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The dash reflecting in the windscreen has been addressed in the current model year with a darker dash colour. Renault is replacing the light ones for owners who request it. Our Seat Mii's dash reflects in the screen but it's not a big deal for us.

If you measure corporate interest by how much money they throw at a problem then Renault care deeply about Zoe – the current subsidies are intended to get more cars into owners' hands and benefit from the same word of mouth effect that LEAF has enjoyed.

IMO the Fluence is an exception. It was developed for Better Place and when they went bust there was no justification for keeping Fluence in the range.
That's good to hear they are addressing the problems.

What about the twizy? If they are throwing so much money at them why aren't they shifting that well? Has the leaf got the better reputation now?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
That's good to hear they are addressing the problems.

What about the twizy? If they are throwing so much money at them why aren't they shifting that well? Has the leaf got the better reputation now?
The Twizy is a niche car, or quadricycle, to be more accurate. With no heating or side windows it's only an all-year-round proposition for the most hardy and determined.

The enhanced terms for Zoe were announced on 10 November and anecdotally there has been an increase in sales since then.

The differences in perception of reliability are due to the way in which problems have been reported online. For example, there have been loads of Tesla issues, yet there is such love and awe around Elon Musk that owners have been very moderate online (perhaps because they also hold shares in the company). LEAF problems have been posted fairly calmly. The tone of some of the reports of Zoe problems has been due to Renault's poor customer service – characterised by 'if you don't know then make up an answer' resulting in lots of emotion and strong words.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've never read that the leaf had anything less than an excellent reputation, have I missed something?
That's my point the Leaf has got that typical Japanese reliability image doesn't it. Same as you I have only heard good things.

Both Renault and Nissan have had problems with their EV's. Spares for Nissan are extortionately expensive. Common problems have cropped up in a number of regards in respect of the Leaf (brakes juddering, and premature 12v battery failure seem very common issues) whilst the Zoe has had a minority of models suffer from charger compatibility issues that are resolved after technical intervention.
Your right but the charger thing seem to frustrate more people as Renault seem to be worse at fixing things strangely. Also I still think it was a stupid move to release a flawed car into production. I'm not saying any other EV is perfect but they where just silly flaws IMO putting drivers off.

The Twizy is a niche car, or quadricycle, to be more accurate. With no heating or side windows it's only an all-year-round proposition for the most hardy and determined.

The enhanced terms for Zoe were announced on 10 November and anecdotally there has been an increase in sales since then.

The differences in perception of reliability are due to the way in which problems have been reported online. For example, there have been loads of Tesla issues, yet there is such love and awe around Elon Musk that owners have been very moderate online (perhaps because they also hold shares in the company). LEAF problems have been posted fairly calmly. The tone of some of the reports of Zoe problems has been due to Renault's poor customer service – characterised by 'if you don't know then make up an answer' resulting in lots of emotion and strong words.
I don't rate the tesla's much IMO. Are they fast yes. I like the interior. But I think they are ugly and they can break and if they do it's mega £££££. I love Japanese cars because of their reliability. I thought EV's would be great as it would make all cars reliable but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also I don't like Elon Musk I don't see why everyone hypes him so much. He wants your money nothing more lol.

All I'm saying all in all is that Renault mucked up. They tarnished the car with stupid faults and bad service why should people put up with that. Am I saying ANY other EV is perfect, no.

BUT when you can buy a RenualtSport Zoe I'll be first in line!

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's the thing Renault despite all it's silliness makes some of the best hot hatches ever. The seem to have charecter too which I like.

I really like that actually any info on it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
How about a Zoe cabriolet instead... ;):p:D
No... No...

Although why not. I wouldn't buy it but plenty of people would! Then they might get their heads around Zero emissions when they put the roof down and choke in London.

But I wonder if they could use the batteries or something to strengthen the car so it doesn't lose rigidity when the model is turned into a cabriolet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you have 3 phase power the Zoe might home charge swiftly though I am not sure whether Renault/OLEV would fund the install cost.
Both cars are lovely and I couldn't choose which one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We have had a Leaf loaner on three occasions now and wife hates it every time and that goes for me to,
the pathetic hand-brake or should that be the foot-park-hand-brake, horrible:eek:.
Wife was always having to look down to find it tucked under the dash while trying to avoid rear-ending the car in front. maybe you get used to it after time.
Then the compromised rear view caused by massive C pillars for anyone under 6 feet tall.
Then the tacky LD nintendo style dash so yesterday compared to the superb Zoe touch screen tablet and HD LCD dash.
The butt ugly looks caused by the big butt and demented frog headlights:confused:

But the Leaf is not Japanese at all its English as its built in Sunderland England where Zoe is built in central France plus Renault and Nissan are one and the same these days being sister companies.

Always sooo nice to get our Zoe back though after its many repairs:mad::rolleyes:

but, and a big but the leaf never let us down and charged anywhere without any drama whereas Zoe is such a fussy little moo;)

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
I have the twizy and the zoe, done 12k miles in the twizy and 17k plus miles in the zoe, both are great in the right places...the twizy can be ordered with windows but are as good as useless. I have used it through all weathers, the rain is the biggest pain...i regularly do a 36mile run but i have to be careful as too much welly and the range will drop quickly, it takes careful driving....but for my drive to work 20 miles its perfect...
the zoe has done 17k miles without fault...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts