Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We are looking to buy our first ev for use as a local delivery vehicle, we own a pharmacy and will be delivering across our city, covering max of 60 miles a day. The car will then be parked in a driveway with access to electricity.

Have been using my large 520d at the moment and economy is horrible as is navigating some of the roads.

We've been looking keenly at an ev as it just makes sense and will be a good trial for when it comes to replace my 520d as to whether or not we can live with an electric car (I currently do in excess of 35,000 motorway miles annually with my daily commute being anywhere from 40-150 miles and once a month a round trip of 900 miles.

Which Zoe would people recommend, we don't mind buying used.

I don't fully understand the leased battery bit I keep seeing.

What is the real world mileage on these?

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you're only doing up to 60 miles a day, a 22kWh would just about manage it all year round, but I would personally say if you can justify the cost that it would be worth stepping up to the 40kWh battery pack (R90, Q90 or R110 models - For your needs the differences aren't too important. I don't think rapid charging will be necessary - only Q models support this)

You can buy the car cheaper if you lease the battery pack. You pay a monthly charge that varies on your mileage and that covers the cost of the battery. You get an ongoing battery warranty this way too. Alternatively you can buy out the lease now if you find it's not for you, or buy an 'i' model which means you own the battery and don't have to pay any additional lease fees.

As for replacing your personal car with an EV, a Zoe isn't likely to be the best option for that as they do charge a fair bit slower than their competitors which isn't great if you are on the motorway a lot and wanting to travel up to 900 miles fairly regularly. So don't let the Zoe put you off in that sense, as you can most definitely get bigger batteries and faster charge speeds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Any Zoe should suit your needs although in Winter the 22kWh version might struggle to get 60 miles of range in stop/start driving depending on how it is driven.

Most Zoes were sold with a leased battery in the beginning partly to keep the headline price lower and partly because a lot of people who were unsure how long the battery pack would last so if there was any degradation the battery would be Renault’s problem.

The battery lease can now be bought out but the prices seem a bit high for consumers. However Renault dealers seem to be able to to buy out the lease at a lower price (I think), so now there are more battery owned Zoes on the second hand market.

edit: I see @80698 has beaten me to it, still the more info you have the more informed a decision you can make.

·
Registered
194 Posts
EVs are pretty efficient at stop / go city driving, with energy being returned to the battery when braking and maximum range being reached at about 15 miles an hour (I say max - much higher than the stated maximum which is based on slightly more realistic driving).
60 miles of city driving should be fine for the smaller 22kw battery - it's motorways that eat energy and range ( see average speeds in Club 100 . In the middle of winter it might start to get tight, especially with the heat pump running at max, but should still be fine. Up to you on battery lease vs buying the battery. Do ask the battery condition before purchasing (they do slowly degrade).

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,617 Posts
Hi
We are looking to buy our first ev for use as a local delivery vehicle, we own a pharmacy and will be delivering across our city, covering max of 60 miles a day. The car will then be parked in a driveway with access to electricity.

Have been using my large 520d at the moment and economy is horrible as is navigating some of the roads.

We've been looking keenly at an ev as it just makes sense and will be a good trial for when it comes to replace my 520d as to whether or not we can live with an electric car (I currently do in excess of 35,000 motorway miles annually with my daily commute being anywhere from 40-150 miles and once a month a round trip of 900 miles.

So is that 60 miles a day delivering plus the commute and round trip for the EV or 2nd car is later?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
Hi
We are looking to buy our first ev for use as a local delivery vehicle, we own a pharmacy and will be delivering across our city...
I don't understand business taxes and such, but would it not be better to lease a new one, then you can write down the whole of the lease cost?

I have a deal on a Zoe, it is financially very nice. Not quite such good deals at the moment, but not far off the lowest.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hi

The BEV will need to be charged. Will that be done at the drivers home overnight or can you instal a wall charger at the pharmacy?

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
The monthly 900 mile round trip is not a good match for the old Zoe.

Renault recently updated the car but I doubt you will find one used. The current model is much better suited for long trips mostly because it has faster and more compatible rapid charging.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
The monthly 900 mile round trip is not a good match for the old Zoe.

Renault recently updated the car but I doubt you will find one used. The current model is much better suited for long trips mostly because it has faster and more compatible rapid charging.
.. but bear in mind not all Zoes have rapid charging, it was/is a cost option.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds to me like you’d be ideal for the recently announced Zoe van. They take the rear seats out and create a small van much like the Ford Fiesta van. Everything else same as Zoe 50 with 240 mile range. This would be classed as a goods vehicle so much better for putting through business. I will be ordering one as a second van for my floristry business. Plenty of info on Renault Uk website and dealers just gearing up to sell for likely Oct/Nov delivery. No leasing professional at moment but it should be very similar to car Zoe pricing around £200-250 if not cheaper as the government amounts to £6000 so let’s wait and see re lease costs.

Our own personal car is a new Hyundai Ioniq 38 kWh which easily does 190 miles on a full charge at various speeds. Crazy efficiency. So different to my previous Mark 2 Leaf which did 75 miles before you starting sweating. Have just done round trip to Scotland at around 900 miles and she required two charges for return leg of 450 miles. The Leaf was 8-10 rapid charges. The Zoe would handle this really easily.

Our interim car was a Volvo XC90 dirty diesel. Luxury car but the Ioniq with its electronic power train is so much more relaxing to drive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts