Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (2015)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently have a Lexus CT200h (Toyota Prius with a body kit). We have a toddler who fits in fine and to be honest is a great car for us.

However, the wife is pregnant so the CT will not do it for us when she's born. Exploring bigger car options. I'd like to remain hybrid/EV due to my short commutes and potential banning etc of pure ICE cars. The newer Lexus RX450h's are way out of our price range and the older ones are just very ugly in my eyes. Our budget is around £14,000, preferably lower. This only leaves the Mitsubishi Outlander as a realistic option.

To be honest, I don't think it is a bad looking car! I am looking at the facelifted versions.

However, I have some questions after my research I was hoping you could answer.

1) I drive 8 miles round trip to work. Is it possible to drive solely on electric? When you just look at the throttle in the CT the engine switches on. My journey takes me through one huge dip. Could the motor manage uphill after the downhill? Do you think this daily journey suits the car?

2) I also drive once every 2-3 weeks to visit my parents (not currently obviously) who live 37 miles away. This journey is 16 miles motorway, 21 miles 40mph A-roads. I've never had a car where you can effectively choose when to use the EV. Could this end up being a good mpg journey or not? How would you approach this journey? I'd likely charge at my parents. Approaches for unable to charge midway and at my parents would be appreciated.

3) What are the common faults with this car? I've read the heater is an issue and pricey to fix? Any help in getting the warranty for this would be great. As said, I'll be taking a toddler so this needs to work. Not for her health, but because she won't get in the car because she's a diva :LOL:.

4) Is it worth paying the extra for the screen? It seems they all come with Airplay which would be nice. One's without the screen, does your smart phone connect okay? Will it play through cable and bluetooth? Any other differences between screened and non-screened cars?

5) It seems the ones in my price range are the GX3H. How is this model viewed? Most cars have a runt of their lineups.

6) I'll miss the reversing camera that I have in the lexus. Can cameras be retrofitted for screened cars? How are the sensors for the non-screened.

Thanks in advance!

·
richi.uk
294 Posts
I came from an Auris hybrid to the Outlander, so …
  1. Probably. Especially if you buy one that has the EV-priority button. I forget if this came in with the MY2016 facelift or if it was MY2017. BUT note answer #5!
  2. Yes, using the SAVE and CHRG buttons. Hard to explain in the time I have available, but you'll get the hang of it.
  3. In general, extremely reliable. The heater is actually usually a very simple fix (replace an inline filter). It's only expensive if the tech decides to try the expensive things first.
  4. Earlier facelifts don't have Carplay, so caveat emptor.
  5. Best to avoid the base model, as it does not have the electric heater (so will fire up the engine).
  6. Most do have reversing cams. Some have 360 overhead view also.
See also richi.uk/phevfaq

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richi,

Which ones are the base models to know to avoid? Hopefully they're not the GX3H. What do the letters mean? Also, I notice they have headlight washers. Is there HID's in these cars?

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
160 Posts
Unfortunately, I would say avoid GX3H, (the 'H' simply denotes Hybrid) as these models did not have the electric heater. That means no preheating and ICE always runs when heat for the cabin is required. The GX3H+ does have the heater (I believe), but no niceties like the rear view camera.

I'm assuming you can charge at home, but reliance on the granny charger will mean that lengthy plug-ins would be required.

£14k will get you a higher mileage 17 plate 4H such as this one;
That has the 360 camera etc.

·
richi.uk
294 Posts
Well, first of all, it's not a 2015. The facelift came in for the 2016 model year. The '3+ I think added electric heating, but might not have the remote control for app-based preheat/precool.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks good to me, although no reversing camera, just sensors.
It is the facelift model which should have the remapped throttle which makes it quicker off the mark. A necessary improvement over the previous model.

According to the listing, it does have remote heating etc, which it should have given it does have the electric heater.

I had a 2015 4H for 2 years, and currently have a MY2018 (but delivered 2019) 4H.

They are a lovely car to drive when in EV mode, and you would never think it weighs 2 tonnes! When the ICE cuts in around town, not so much, but motorway cruising using the ICE is pleasant enough.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Hi all,

Currently have a Lexus CT200h (Toyota Prius with a body kit). We have a toddler who fits in fine and to be honest is a great car for us.

However, the wife is pregnant so the CT will not do it for us when she's born. Exploring bigger car options. I'd like to remain hybrid/EV due to my short commutes and potential banning etc of pure ICE cars. The newer Lexus RX450h's are way out of our price range and the older ones are just very ugly in my eyes. Our budget is around £14,000, preferably lower. This only leaves the Mitsubishi Outlander as a realistic option.

To be honest, I don't think it is a bad looking car! I am looking at the facelifted versions.

However, I have some questions after my research I was hoping you could answer.

1) I drive 8 miles round trip to work. Is it possible to drive solely on electric? When you just look at the throttle in the CT the engine switches on. My journey takes me through one huge dip. Could the motor manage uphill after the downhill? Do you think this daily journey suits the car?

2) I also drive once every 2-3 weeks to visit my parents (not currently obviously) who live 37 miles away. This journey is 16 miles motorway, 21 miles 40mph A-roads. I've never had a car where you can effectively choose when to use the EV. Could this end up being a good mpg journey or not? How would you approach this journey? I'd likely charge at my parents. Approaches for unable to charge midway and at my parents would be appreciated.

3) What are the common faults with this car? I've read the heater is an issue and pricey to fix? Any help in getting the warranty for this would be great. As said, I'll be taking a toddler so this needs to work. Not for her health, but because she won't get in the car because she's a diva :LOL:.

4) Is it worth paying the extra for the screen? It seems they all come with Airplay which would be nice. One's without the screen, does your smart phone connect okay? Will it play through cable and bluetooth? Any other differences between screened and non-screened cars?

5) It seems the ones in my price range are the GX3H. How is this model viewed? Most cars have a runt of their lineups.

6) I'll miss the reversing camera that I have in the lexus. Can cameras be retrofitted for screened cars? How are the sensors for the non-screened.

Thanks in advance!
Maybe a pure BEV would be a better choice, have you considered at all?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, first of all, it's not a 2015. The facelift came in for the 2016 model year. The '3+ I think added electric heating, but might not have the remote control for app-based preheat/precool.
What are you saying Richi, that it has the facelift body kit put on? Or they incorrectly stated it as a 2015?

Looks good to me, although no reversing camera, just sensors.
It is the facelift model which should have the remapped throttle which makes it quicker off the mark. A necessary improvement over the previous model.

According to the listing, it does have remote heating etc, which it should have given it does have the electric heater.

I had a 2015 4H for 2 years, and currently have a MY2018 (but delivered 2019) 4H.

They are a lovely car to drive when in EV mode, and you would never think it weighs 2 tonnes! When the ICE cuts in around town, not so much, but motorway cruising using the ICE is pleasant enough.
What does remote heating mean exactly?

Maybe a pure BEV would be a better choice, have you considered at all?
I would but can’t afford an SUV BEV.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
Remote control via app (or setting a timer in the car) to pre-heat or cool your car while it's locked and parked outside (on electricity, not the engine)

·
richi.uk
294 Posts
Picture is of a MY2016 facelift car. Significantly improved interior, I'm told.

Pre-facelift looks like mine (on the left of pic):

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I have a 16 Reg GX4HS Outlander so to answer some of your questions...

1. Range is not a problem, you should be able to get 20-25 miles depending on journey type and driving style. With regards to the uphill bit it depends on how steep and the speed you’re trying to do as the engine will kick in if the load is too high.

2. I would probably drive the car in charge or save mode on the Motorway and EV mode on the A-Roads. Full charge from a 3-Pin socket can take up to 5-5.5hrs. I drive from London to the midlands like this (so about 120 miles)and average 40mpg so on a shorter journey you should be able to get a fair bit higher.

3. For me Condensation! as the engine isn’t switching on so no heat in the cabin. If you switch the heating on below 3-4°c (like it has been now) the engine kicks on automatically so I tend to use the heated seats instead unless I have the kids with me.

4. I would say it’s defo worth going for a higher model with the extras on it not just the screen. My GX4HS has the 360° camera system, front and rear sensors, emergency braking and the adaptive cruise control.
The HS models are a lower insurance group then the H versions as they have the extra safety kit onboard (hence the S for safety).

5. As others have said avoid.

6. Not sure, best to check with a dealer.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Ben197 , do you have a home charge point or intend to get one?

If not, then the Outlander might not be the best fit for you. Operating it like a simple Hybrid (as opposed to a plug-in Hybrid) might cost you a bit more in fossil fuel than you may be used to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My budget doesn’t fit those snazzy models haha.

What do people think of this model?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101067707761 View attachment 139481
That is a facelifted model known as MY16 but actually came out in the second half of 2015 (confusing I know).

The next change was MY17, looks exactly the same externally but inside are where the changes are.
Easiest way to spot them are look at he handbrake area.
MY17 came with an electronic parking brake and an EV button. Also the higher spec models came with an electric front demister.
This model (in my opinion) is the sweet spot for a second hand purchase.
If you get a MY17 that was registered before April 2017 it will still fall under the old Road Tax system so will be free to tax.
Best way to do that is to download a app to your phone that lets you check car details via number plates for free.
You can then check if it was registered before April 2017 (17 Reg started in March 2017).

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you saying Richi, that it has the facelift body kit put on? Or they incorrectly stated it as a 2015?

I would but can’t afford an SUV BEV.
If what you need is decent boot space and you don’t do long journeys have you considered a family hatchback instead of a SUV?

For the money you’re looking at spending on a Outlander you could pick up a second hand Merc B250e which might meet your needs.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
146 Posts
What rules out keeping the Lexus? Just needs to seat 4 - Mum and Dad, toddler and baby? I'm assuming it should be fine for width on the rear seat. If your toddler is already in a booster seat, they don't need so much leg room. It will be the baby carrier and then later rear facing toddler seat which need the most length.

If it is wanting a larger boot for an enormous pram, have you considered a baby sling instead? Takes practically no space, and it is very cosy, and leaves your hands free. Great until the little one is happy to walk, and some slings are strong enough for a toddler (if you are).

As to the Mitsubishi, as noted above later models have an EV button to force it to stay in EV only mode. Great for short commutes or low emission zones where you don't want the engine to start.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,
I have a 16 Reg GX4HS Outlander so to answer some of your questions...

1. Range is not a problem, you should be able to get 20-25 miles depending on journey type and driving style. With regards to the uphill bit it depends on how steep and the speed you’re trying to do as the engine will kick in if the load is too high.

2. I would probably drive the car in charge or save mode on the Motorway and EV mode on the A-Roads. Full charge from a 3-Pin socket can take up to 5-5.5hrs. I drive from London to the midlands like this (so about 120 miles)and average 40mpg so on a shorter journey you should be able to get a fair bit higher.

3. For me Condensation! as the engine isn’t switching on so no heat in the cabin. If you switch the heating on below 3-4°c (like it has been now) the engine kicks on automatically so I tend to use the heated seats instead unless I have the kids with me.

4. I would say it’s defo worth going for a higher model with the extras on it not just the screen. My GX4HS has the 360° camera system, front and rear sensors, emergency braking and the adaptive cruise control.
The HS models are a lower insurance group then the H versions as they have the extra safety kit onboard (hence the S for safety).

5. As others have said avoid.

6. Not sure, best to check with a dealer.

Hope that helps

Thank you Fuzz. Helps a great deal!

@Ben197 , do you have a home charge point or intend to get one?

If not, then the Outlander might not be the best fit for you. Operating it like a simple Hybrid (as opposed to a plug-in Hybrid) might cost you a bit more in fossil fuel than you may be used to.
Hi Off-Worlder. No I do not have a home charge point. I can't see that being an issue as I have an external socket and can just granny charge (is that the right term?) over night?

That is a facelifted model known as MY16 but actually came out in the second half of 2015 (confusing I know).

The next change was MY17, looks exactly the same externally but inside are where the changes are.
Easiest way to spot them are look at he handbrake area.
MY17 came with an electronic parking brake and an EV button. Also the higher spec models came with an electric front demister.
This model (in my opinion) is the sweet spot for a second hand purchase.
If you get a MY17 that was registered before April 2017 it will still fall under the old Road Tax system so will be free to tax.
Best way to do that is to download a app to your phone that lets you check car details via number plates for free.
You can then check if it was registered before April 2017 (17 Reg started in March 2017).

Perfect. Thanks for that advice!

If what you need is decent boot space and you don’t do long journeys have you considered a family hatchback instead of a SUV?

For the money you’re looking at spending on a Outlander you could pick up a second hand Merc B250e which might meet your needs.

I'll take a look at this! Didn't realise these cars existed! I welcome all suggestions. Low range is a big concern however. I have friends in London which we'll visit more often when the covid situation is over and 120 miles of a 220 mile journey might be a big issue.

What rules out keeping the Lexus? Just needs to seat 4 - Mum and Dad, toddler and baby? I'm assuming it should be fine for width on the rear seat. If your toddler is already in a booster seat, they don't need so much leg room. It will be the baby carrier and then later rear facing toddler seat which need the most length.

If it is wanting a larger boot for an enormous pram, have you considered a baby sling instead? Takes practically no space, and it is very cosy, and leaves your hands free. Great until the little one is happy to walk, and some slings are strong enough for a toddler (if you are).

As to the Mitsubishi, as noted above later models have an EV button to force it to stay in EV only mode. Great for short commutes or low emission zones where you don't want the engine to start.
We don't have an enormous pram and it completely consumes the boot. I have a skateboard on top and its to the ceiling. We'll be travelling to my parents with both children and it's things like pram, sterilisers, luggage, moses basket, travel cot etc. Things we used to shove in the spare back seat which would now be occupied after baby being born. Probably not a big deal if we bought a handful of things to keep at my parents but as I mention above if we travelled to London (or anywhere on holiday) we'd have no chance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts