Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just looking for a few opinions on the economic sense of swapping to an EV. Have wanted to swap for a few years but primary consideration is cost, just looking for low cost motoring

Current situation is I have an 09 plate Focus Estate 1.6 Petrol. Not too bad condition but 135k miles on the clock, just had an MOT last month but may need a new cam belt in a few months been quoted £400.

Commute to work varies as work across a number of locations but average approx 20-30 miles return commute per day. Part of this can claim mileage via work. Current spend on fuel is £40 per week approx. Get around £100 back at £0.45/mile via work so paying net £60 per month fuel.
Anticipating that expansion plans at work may mean my commute will increase on some days, max 80 miles return.

Have been considering getting a loan to buy an EV. Plan would be to save up for a few months and buy an EV for circa £13k in March 2020. This would be with
£1k trade in car
£2k savings
£10k loan @2.8% over 4 years - £220/mo

So total for year would be approx
Loan £2640
Fuel £500? Not sure
Tax £0
Maintenance £100 per year (poss less as heard EV is low maintenance and would be a 3-4 year old model)

Total £3240 per year

Vs keeping Focus for another few years
Loan £0
Fuel £2600
Tax £200
Maintenance £350 (approx average per year)

Total £3150 per year

Basically it looks fairly close in terms of annual cost. Probably slightly higher to get the EV, but at the end of the 4 years I have a car that is peanuts to run and will likely last another few years / can be passed to the wife for school run and shops if the battery range starts dropping. Basically would keep for 10 years approx

Just looking for opinions - any drawbacks to my plan I’ve missed?
Also any EV recommendations- looking at a Nissan Leaf ideally 30kw maybe a 24 kw. Need a 5 door with reasonable boot as carry some kit around for work. Don’t need an estate but say a Renault Zoe size prob a bit too small

Many Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
What charging facilities are there at work?

Because if you need to be able to do an 80 mile round trip in all conditions, without charging half-way, then some of the users reports for real world range suggest a 24kwh or even 30kwh Leaf might struggle depending on the speed you drive and the weather conditions.

I was looking at something similar as the 24 and 30kWh Leafs are quite affordable, but the reports on real world range put me off because you can't always guarantee a charger will be available at your destination and I know I will need to drive upto 100 miles, at 70mph, in the wet, and if it's freezing outside then I will want the heater on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What charging facilities are there at work?

Because if you need to be able to do an 80 mile round trip in all conditions, without charging half-way, then some of the users reports for real world range suggest a 24kwh or even 30kwh Leaf might struggle depending on the speed you drive and the weather conditions.

I was looking at something similar as the 24 and 30kWh Leafs are quite affordable, but the reports on real world range put me off because you can't always guarantee a charger will be available at your destination and I know I will need to drive upto 100 miles, at 70mph, in the wet, and if it's freezing outside then I will want the heater on!
Hi, no facility at work unfortunately, so would need a reliable 80 mile range. 80 miles is the absolute max I would need to go though, and this would only be once a week, rest of the week would be 15-50 miles round trip. Route is mainly dual carriageway and would be ok going along at a steady 55/60 once a week with no heater if needed. Do you know the real world range of the 24 vs the 30 leaf? The 30 is an extra 3k approx so weighing up if I can get away with a 24, sounds like maybe not in the winter?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depending on the degradation of the battery in a used 24 you may not be able to do 80 even in the summer. I'd only consider the 30 if I were you and even there you would have to be careful in winter

There's also the Kia Soul EV if you can find the 30kWh version at a reasonable price. It'll also have a few years of warranty left which would give you some peace of mind

Otherwise there are few Golf Plug-in Hybrids knocking about for that money.

I wouldn't rule out a regular hybrid either. I am biased here but the Ioniq sips petrol and is very well equipped even at the base model level plus has a very useful boot and can be used on longer trips without hassle and it'd still have some warranty left. Plus it is very cheap to insure

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have a read through the posts in the Leaf 24 / 30 kWh forum here on SpeakEV, there's lots of user feedback on typical journeys.

It's this kind of issue which put me off, certainly the 24kWh version, 72 miles is only an hours driving which implies very frequent charging stops or having to plan any trip to a very high degree.

I'm waiting for used 40kWh models to come down in price, used 40kWh Leaf are now around the £20k mark.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,354 Posts
Hi, just looking for a few opinions on the economic sense of swapping to an EV. Have wanted to swap for a few years but primary consideration is cost, just looking for low cost motoring

Current situation is I have an 09 plate Focus Estate 1.6 Petrol. Not too bad condition but 135k miles on the clock, just had an MOT last month but may need a new cam belt in a few months been quoted £400.

Commute to work varies as work across a number of locations but average approx 20-30 miles return commute per day. Part of this can claim mileage via work. Current spend on fuel is £40 per week approx. Get around £100 back at £0.45/mile via work so paying net £60 per month fuel.
Anticipating that expansion plans at work may mean my commute will increase on some days, max 80 miles return.

Have been considering getting a loan to buy an EV. Plan would be to save up for a few months and buy an EV for circa £13k in March 2020. This would be with
£1k trade in car
£2k savings
£10k loan @2.8% over 4 years - £220/mo

So total for year would be approx
Loan £2640
Fuel £500? Not sure
Tax £0
Maintenance £100 per year (poss less as heard EV is low maintenance and would be a 3-4 year old model)

Total £3240 per year

Vs keeping Focus for another few years
Loan £0
Fuel £2600
Tax £200
Maintenance £350 (approx average per year)

Total £3150 per year

Basically it looks fairly close in terms of annual cost. Probably slightly higher to get the EV, but at the end of the 4 years I have a car that is peanuts to run and will likely last another few years / can be passed to the wife for school run and shops if the battery range starts dropping. Basically would keep for 10 years approx

Just looking for opinions - any drawbacks to my plan I’ve missed?
Also any EV recommendations- looking at a Nissan Leaf ideally 30kw maybe a 24 kw. Need a 5 door with reasonable boot as carry some kit around for work. Don’t need an estate but say a Renault Zoe size prob a bit too small

Many Thanks
Man maths at its best!
Don’t discount the Zoe too quickly. It has a large boot for it’s size. One banana box more than the 2013 Leaf!

F315EB53-7C43-46EF-8713-225C5A89018C.png

Another solution:

Evezy Zoe R110 41kWh battery. Range 120 to 180 miles.
£3468 pa including insurance, maintenance and polar plus sub.
(1000 miles per month included, no deposit, one month maximum commitment)

Do you have access to polar or cyc chargepoints in your area?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Also any EV recommendations- looking at a Nissan Leaf ideally 30kw maybe a 24 kw.
For my 13 Reg 24kWh Leaf (lost 1 battery bar) I would want some charging point along my route for anything over 60 miles - in winter as a necessity, in summer as an insurance policy. For your possible longer commute, are there any CHAdeMO Rapid charging points on the way home? - you may only need a quick 5 minute charge to make up the extra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts