Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My 3-years lease plan for an e-Golf ends in September and I'm looking for different alternatives. I've discarded to purchase it as, while in general terms I like it, I'm not willing to pay the amount of money that the dealership has asked for it, as well as considering the battery degradation after these 3 years due to the lack of an active cooling system.

At the beginning I was not so enthusiastic about the ID3 due to the interior build quality comments (e.g. hard plastics) considering its price but I think that I could live with that. However, I'm reading a lot of unexpected complaints in this forum and criticism due to electronics/infotainment issues which it's clearly unacceptable for a company like VW and what it was going to be one of their EV flagship. Are all these complaints really justified? I cannot believe so long is taking to VW to solve all of these issues with a simple firmware update.

In the past I had also an i3 for 2 years. Its interior was not really stunning but it was extremely fun to drive and I loved the One Pedal Driving. I read that in the ID3 the deceleration is not so strong to the point to stop it completely without using the break like in the i3 but I'd like to know if it's also fun to drive.

I was considering the Pure Performance with 150 PS but maybe it would be worthy to go for the Pro S with 204 PS. However, paying much more money for it considering so many issues does not seem too "smart"... especially when it seems that after more than 6 months VW has not been able to fix it yet.

Many thanks!

·
EGGY
1,618 Posts
We had an i3 for 3 years and we've had our ID.3 for 6 months. The VW isn't as fun of a car to drive for me but it's a more rounded car. As ever with these things it depends on what you need/want out of a car that would sway your decision. See if you can get an extended test drive or short leave (MK EV experience centre?) which would help. Yes there are issues, fair to say it's still work in progress but then people with issues tend to be more vocal than those without, maybe you have experience with your dealer and you have a view how they might react to a problem.

Price wise, market seems controlled be VWFS and there have been good deals around so depends on how flexible you are on delivery dates. The other issue many raise is choice, not much competition in this segment and price point.

Good luck !

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hello everyone,

My 3-years lease plan for an e-Golf ends in September and I'm looking for different alternatives. I've discarded to purchase it as, while in general terms I like it, I'm not willing to pay the amount of money that the dealership has asked for it, as well as considering the battery degradation after these 3 years due to the lack of an active cooling system.

At the beginning I was not so enthusiastic about the ID3 due to the interior build quality comments (e.g. hard plastics) considering its price but I think that I could live with that. However, I'm reading a lot of unexpected complaints in this forum and criticism due to electronics/infotainment issues which it's clearly unacceptable for a company like VW and what it was going to be one of their EV flagship. Are all these complaints really justified? I cannot believe so long is taking to VW to solve all of these issues with a simple firmware update.

In the past I had also an i3 for 2 years. Its interior was not really stunning but it was extremely fun to drive and I loved the One Pedal Driving. I read that in the ID3 the deceleration is not so strong to the point to stop it completely without using the break like in the i3 but I'd like to know if it's also fun to drive.

I was considering the Pure Performance with 150 PS but maybe it would be worthy to go for the Pro S with 204 PS. However, paying much more money for it considering so many issues does not seem too "smart"... especially when it seems that after more than 6 months VW has not been able to fix it yet.

Many thanks!
We have just spent the last 2 days in an ID3 hire car.

From our perspective - yes, it is fun to drive - not as much fun as my GTE, but still fun.

Interior quality - it was a Life, so base spec, but it was fine. Seat fabric a bit naff, but seats were comfortable and you can't see the seats when you are sitting in the car. Piano black trim and fingerprints? Yes, but not really different to my GTE or the Astra I had before that. Cloth trim on the door interiors? Very similar to my GTE. Hard plastics? I guess so, but no big deal. Hard to understand the level of debate about the interior TBH - I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was from the amount of noise from reviewers.

Software? The car was running version 564, the old 'problem' version. Was it a bit laggy? Yes, at times. Was it a problem? Not really, I am not sure that Mrs C123 even noticed. Version 2.1 is supposed to be much better.

Haptic switches on the steering wheel? Again, different but no big deal.

Rear speakers would be nice <ducks> ;)

Not to belittle the experience of those who have had issues with their ID3s but look at the other makes' forums here - no shortage of issues that have taken a long time to sort out / cost a lot of money.

So - are we going to buy one? Probably. Difficulty for us is the limitations of no tow bar and no roof bars - if it could replace my GTE it would be a no brainer.

Mrs C123 has had to pay out to get her car back on the road, watching out now for the best deal (DriveTheDeal is favourite but they have removed the £1k discount due to lead times) - may try and hold out for any end of year discounts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’m waiting an ‘in stock’ (as in made, standard spec and waiting to go on a ship to the UK once purchased) Life Pro that should be with me this week (2.5 week wait). With the various discounts etc.. I got it for less that the DTD price (which was £24k) from my local dealer (£23.5k) - with a decent trade in price for my oil burner....

·
Registered
442 Posts
PS - you can fit roof bars - search the threads, it seems they’re not VW sanctioned (as they spoil the CD)

·
Registered
208 Posts
PS - you can fit roof bars - search the threads, it seems they’re not VW sanctioned (as they spoil the CD)
But, as VW says not to fit them, there are concerns regarding insurance cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,
hi there, I was in a similar position - had identified ID3 as the EV of most interest, but reading many of the problems on web had put doubts in my mind. If it’s of any help for you, I came to the conclusion that an ID3 is buying software/IT, and first releases of software are almost always prone to issues. Painful for this with early versions but not end of world. I took a test drive a week ago and put our order in a day later, loved the car. Delivery unlikely before early October, by which time I believe most if not all of the software teething problems will have been addressed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, bear in mind that you only tend to hear about extremes on the Internet - people don't tend to come on a forum and just go "yeah mine's fine and it just works". That's not to downplay issues people have had of course. We held off getting ours until 2.1 was released which seemed much more stable, then got an in stock car from the dealer with 2.1 pre-installed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello everyone,

Many thanks!
Ι would strongly advise considering the Leaf. There as some amazing deals at the moment. ( 62KW tekna at 28K PCP at 0% )
If after a decade or so VW gets its act together, then by all means, consider a VAG group vehicle once again

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ι would strongly advise considering the Leaf. There as some amazing deals at the moment. ( 62KW tekna at 28K PCP at 0% )
If after a decade or so VW gets its act together, then by all means, consider a VAG group vehicle once again
They're pretty much there with v2.1. Getting an ID3 with 2.1 already installed is not a bother at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I picked up my ID3 today to go with my ID4, I haven't had any software issues with my ID4 on 2.1 after 3 months of ownership and 6000 miles. I know some of the members on here have had some difficulty until 2.1 came along and it certainly wasn't plain sailing for them which is probably an understatement. However from my experience I wouldn't hesitate having a third EV from VW.

·
Registered
VW ID3
39 Posts
Well I have my ID.3 since November 2020 and besides some minor errors that would disappear after a few minutes with the car locked, usually enough to leave the kids at school and return to parking, I never had any major issues and I’m really happy with the car. Was my first EV and replaced my VW Polo 1.6TDi and I really noticed some lack of quality materials even compared to the Polo. But overall it’s a nice car.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

·
Registered
ID3 1st Plus Makena Turquoise, registered 30/12/2020
21 Posts
I have mine since the 18th of June, came with 2.1 already and it's been only charge and go, no worries or troubles whatsoever.
I know that at least here in Portugal we have a bug that doesn't take rapid chargers in consideration when using the onboard gps(it only directs us to type 2 chargers) for longer travel, but I can use a better route planner or something with wireless android Auto whenever I'll need it

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,776 Posts
I’d say that 90% of problems are software related, and the biggest issue is the upgrade to 2.1. If I were buying an ID.3 I would insist that it has 2.1 installed and there are no issues afterwards. If you agree to buy and then afterwards they do the PDI process and upgrade the software, that’s not good enough.

If your car does go in for a 2.1 upgrade, I would insist on an ID.3 loaner. Some people have been left without a car for weeks.

Having said that, my 2.1 upgrade was done in less than 2 days with no issues at all. I was lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone,

Many thanks!
Ive had my ID3 Pro Performance Family 204 for three weeks having had a Renault Zoe 40 previously. the ID.3 was a demonstrator, had 80 miles on the clock and £5k off the price. The car is far more comfortable than the Zoe, better build quality, more planted, and so far nothing but a pleasure to drive. The software issues that plagued the 1st edition seem to have been ironed out although the range computation I find variable. For example: last night I drove 3 miles to a friends house. The GOM said 241 miles. We arrived with 244. We left 4 hours later-at 202! By the one mile mark we were up to 234. We got home with 233. This morning the GOM reads 221. It’s normal to lose a little overnight, however, this all seems very random,

The other issue to Lane Keep Assist which turns on automatically when the car is started - by law apparently, I find it potentially dangerous other than on motorways or dual carriageways as it feels like someone is fighting you for control. It can be turned off from the assist screen. Apart from these two things the car is excellent. As has been said elsewhere, try one on extended loan if you can, good luck,

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
181 Posts
I’ve not read the thread, just here to say we’ve had a ID.3 Tour with latest software from day 1 and we love it - easily best car I’ve ever had all round.

Had i3 before, it was more fun, but also more bumpy, not as good software/travel assist/ACC and way less convenient for loading up with stuff.

ID.3 is a very very good long distance car - love it

·
Registered
543 Posts
For example: last night I drove 3 miles to a friends house. The GOM said 241 miles. We arrived with 244. We left 4 hours later-at 202! By the one mile mark we were up to 234. We got home with 233. This morning the GOM reads 221. It’s normal to lose a little overnight, however, this all seems very random,
This is a lot to do with outside temperature, coupled with how you drove the car last time you used it. I think the GOM in the ID.3 is trying to be a bit too accurate by recalculating the estimated mileage too frequently. It could likely do with some better logic to average out it's calculations over a longer period rather than updating so often.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ive had my ID3 Pro Performance Family 204 for three weeks having had a Renault Zoe 40 previously. the ID.3 was a demonstrator, had 80 miles on the clock and £5k off the price. The car is far more comfortable than the Zoe, better build quality, more planted, and so far nothing but a pleasure to drive. The software issues that plagued the 1st edition seem to have been ironed out although the range computation I find variable. For example: last night I drove 3 miles to a friends house. The GOM said 241 miles. We arrived with 244. We left 4 hours later-at 202! By the one mile mark we were up to 234. We got home with 233. This morning the GOM reads 221. It’s normal to lose a little overnight, however, this all seems very random,

The other issue to Lane Keep Assist which turns on automatically when the car is started - by law apparently, I find it potentially dangerous other than on motorways or dual carriageways as it feels like someone is fighting you for control. It can be turned off from the assist screen. Apart from these two things the car is excellent. As has been said elsewhere, try one on extended loan if you can, good luck,
I think some of that is whether you have had a car with "Lane keep assist" before as well. Our last car was a Prius so we're used to it, if anything the version of the ID.3 is slightly less annoying as it's more up to date and accurate than it was in our old car.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

How often did you find the lane keep assist kicking in when you did not want it to? What did it try and do when it kicked in?

We had the ID3 for a couple of days, and drove country lanes as well as motorways. There was one point I felt a tug on the steering wheel which I think was the LKA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone,

Many thanks!
Ive had my Pro
How often did you find the lane keep assist kicking in when you did not want it to? What did it try and do when it kicked in?

We had the ID3 for a couple of days, and drove country lanes as well as motorways. There was one point I felt a tug on the steering wheel which I think was the LKA.
Mostoy on country lanes where it can’t properly discern the edges.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts