Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing my Mitsu PHEV for a full EV. With the current low PCH and PCP charges the Kona looks like a good option, so can I ask a few questions from exisiting owners?
Any likes / dislikes? Any problems so far?
And a few things that the brochure doesn't tell you:
What's the rapid charging rate?
Which connector (presumably CCS)?
How many miles per kWh do you actually get in practice (in my case, largely on rural roads)
What is the usable capacity of the battery (as opposed to the total capacity)?
Thanks,
Gary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nothing I really don't like about the car. The internal navigation software is not good. Ok for around town and known areas but if you go somewhere you really need guidance, use Google maps, Waze or anything but the internal one.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have no great problem with the internal nav, and if you have the HUD it displays in there too. Having to mess around with Google (which froze up mid-journey the two times I tried using it with Android Auto) is just hassle. I do sometimes use Google on the phone to find the postcode or address of where I'm going and then punch that into the car system.

How many miles per kWh do you actually get in practice (in my case, largely on rural roads)
That's a bit of a piece of string one - depends a lot on how heavy your feet are. Rural roads you should be able to get near 300 miles 100%-0%, but how much of that you are prepared to use will depend on your risk appetite. 250 is probably a realistic usable range.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
No HUD in the Premium, only in Premium SE.
Generally you're likely to get anywhere between 3.5mi/kWh to 5+mi/kWh depending on driving style, roads, temperature, weather.
CCS charging at up to 76kW. Type 2 charging at up to 7.6kW, or 10.5kW on the very latest ones as an option. Usable capacity is 64kWh out of about 67kWh.
The range is remarkable; it's easy to get 300 or more miles out of it in summer on general pottering about. Without doubt the most efficient drivetrain outside of Tesla. Range anxiety is a thing of the past!
Chargers are very variable; Ecotricity at motorway service stations are hopeless and best avoided. Instavolt, Engenie, Shell Recharge seem best, with Polar being ok if you get a good one though they're hopeless at repairing ones which fail regularly.

The car itself is superb overall. The ride is a bit jittery and if it's an older one that came with Nexen tyres, these are noisy and horrible and best replaced. Later ones have come with proper tyres (Michelins I think?). In-car tech is very good and whether you leave things like Lane Keep Assist on is really down to personal preference.

The only known niggle really is that there seems to be a bug in the software/electronics that detect whether the rear hatch is properly closed. It can get confused and run the 12V battery completely flat within hours if it does. Still no fix from Hyundai, nor a real admission of a problem. It also affects the Ioniq, Soul and e-Niro sister cars.

Hope this helps, feel free to trawl through the forums or ask away :).

·
Registered
357 Posts
In March I changed from the 28 kWh Ioniq to the 64 kWh Kona. On a 100% charge it showed 325 miles of range, nearly double that of the Ioniq. I have not had to rapid charge yet as the range is so good. I find the three split infotainment screen is brilliant and have had no problems finding out of the way places in Somerset with the on board sat-nav. Tried Google maps and Waze in the Ioniq and had Android Auto hang on me in the middle of a couple of road trips and so gave up on it.

Watch out for ghost braking when it sees park cars as a collision hazard. Once you get used to it, you can predict when it's going to happen and turn off the SCC. I love the LKA and LFA on the motorway, it makes driving stress free.

All-in-all, I love this car. :)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Too much of “helpful” electronic driving aids, bongs the whole time, boot is a pain not fully shutting.
But these are way way pushed aside by the brilliant consumption efficiency, large battery compared to rest of similar market [ e2008, Leaf+, eDS3, etc ] and the way it just nips into gaps / zooms off in to the distance.

Recharging on a 50kw CCS seems to bring up 1% of battery per minute - at least for under 70%
ie 50>70% will take about 22mins. , approx 55miles added to range.
Mine is new enough to drink at 11kw on a 22kw AC post.

I recommend reading through the website ev-database.uk Very useful data in there, remember to click on the more detail about charging.

Go for it - make the move to a [ decent ] BEV like the Kona.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm considering changing my Mitsu PHEV for a full EV. With the current low PCH and PCP charges the Kona looks like a good option, so can I ask a few questions from exisiting owners?
Thanks,
Gary.
Joy to drive, ticks all the boxes, just a bit boring as its just an easy car in every way.

Watch out for the short (Every 10k) service interval if you drive lots of miles it starts to cost

77kw max on a 100kw plus unit (0-80% in 55mins)
49Kw Max on a 50Kw Unit (0-80% in 1Hr 5 mins)

Yes

My Average over 67k miles was 4.2 Miles/Kwh but I have a lead right foot and 75% Motorway driving

Miles per charge
280 to 300 Summer
250ish Winter Mixed Driving,
Hack it on the motorway at 80mph and you will get about 210 to 220 at worst.

64.7Kw (69 to 70kw total)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all. Noting the point about the boot and the 12 volt battery. One other question, what is the electric heater like in winter? I'm not someone who is willing to shiver in order to get a few extra miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watch out for ghost braking when it sees park cars as a collision hazard. Once you get used to it, you can predict when it's going to happen and turn off the SCC. I love the LKA and LFA on the motorway, it makes driving stress free.

All-in-all, I love this car. :)
Is yours an SE? Can you explain SCC, LKA and LFA as I don't know those acronyms?
Agree about over-the-top bleeping. My partner had a hire car which bleeped for everything. The all-round sensors went off when the nearest car was 6 feet away!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Thanks to all. Noting the point about the boot and the 12 volt battery. One other question, what is the electric heater like in winter? I'm not someone who is willing to shiver in order to get a few extra miles.

It's a great heat pump system. Plenty of heat. Never really need to set mine above 20c

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is yours an SE? Can you explain SCC, LKA and LFA as I don't know those acronyms?
Agree about over-the-top bleeping. My partner had a hire car which bleeped for everything. The all-round sensors went off when the nearest car was 6 feet away!
Sorry about the acronyms. You tend to forget when everyone on the forum uses them. Mine is the Premium without the SE.
SCC - Smart Cruise Control. Adjusts your speed to the car in front.
LKA - Lane Keep Assist. Keeps you in lane on the motorway or dual carriageways.
LFA - Line Follow Assist. Limited "auto pilot", steering you around shallow bends.

I don't know if it's my driving style, but my car rarely beeps at me, and when it does I find it reassuring that it's spotted something I haven't.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about the acronyms. You tend to forget when everyone on the forum uses them. Mine is the Premium without the SE.
SCC - Smart Cruise Control. Adjusts your speed to the car in front.
LKA - Lane Keep Assist. Keeps you in lane on the motorway or dual carriageways.
LFA - Line Follow Assist. Limited "auto pilot", steering you around shallow bends.

I don't know if it's my driving style, but my car rarely beeps at me, and when it does I find it reassuring that it's spotted something I haven't.
Thanks. In Mitsu terms, SCC = ACC, LKA = LDW and LFA doesn't exist.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, to be a pain and keep asking questions. Does the car have a charging timer, as my Podpoint is effectively dumb.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If LDW is for warning then the LKA and LFA are a step more as they actually move the steering wheel to correct. The LKA does also beep if you let the car wander across a line.
Just for clarity, the LFA is engaged with the SCC to provide that partial auto-pilot system and keeps the car reasonably lane centred. LKA is for normal driving and only acts if it looks like you will wander over a line - doesn't lane centre as such.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry, to be a pain and keep asking questions. Does the car have a charging timer, as my Podpoint is effectively dumb.
It has a scheduler which you can set to use off peak times and activate it from the Bluelink app. You can also lock the doors, set the HVAC and start the air con from the app. :)

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
I have the smug face of driving one of the best ranged EVs (better than cheaper Teslas) that's fun to drive. Lots and lots of good features. It's not perfect but then no car is, ICE or EV. Never regretted the decision to buy it, not for one second.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts