Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January my wife bought a B250e as it suited her 4 miles per day commute. Obviously since March it hasn't been used much and it's done just 1,500 miles in those 11 months. As a result most of our charging has been via granny charger. We did have a home charger install booked but didn't get in early enough to secure the £500 grant and once things became clear how the year was going to pan out we cancelled it.

My local Sainsbury's (Godalming, Surrey) has free to use Pod-Point chargers and although I don't need them (because of above) I like to use them when I can because they are free and because it makes sense to use them to maintain the service.

However, without fail, every time I have some kind of difficulty and I don't think I've ever had a successful charge for the duration of any visit. Last week for example I turned up, plugged in to a post and it immediately started clicking furiously. I plugged in to the other socket on that post and same story. So I move the car to another spot and plugged in to socket A (socket B is OOA) and this time it made all the right noises. I open the app, login, find the post which it tells me is charging and go to "claim" the charge where upon it tells me it can't because I don't have a connection. Even though I am logged in and have perfectly good signal. So I connect to the store wi-fi and it says the same thing here:

Maybe I get the first 15 minutes of charge or maybe I don't - I haven't found a way on the car for it to tell me how much energy it's taken on and the app tells me that I haven't had a successful charge since August (at a different, chargeable, Pod-Point location which worked fine). While this is all going on a Nissan Leaf turns up and 90 seconds later he's plugged in an on his way to get some shopping.

I tried to phone Pod-Point, like I do every time I have an issue, but as always there's never enough of them answering the phones and I can't wait too long on hold as my 4 year old is in the car with me and wondering why we aren't doing our shopping. Later on I report it via the app and they've responded but nothing ever seems to change.

All I want to do is just plug in, start charging and go and do my shopping. Is it just me?? Is it the app? My wife hasn't taken to electric at all, partly because of issues like this and she's pretty accommodating so how on earth are the general public going to adjust to it in what is increasingly becoming a shorter and shorter timescale I can only imagine.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sounds like you need to log out the app and log back in again. That's what I do for this issue. The charge history in the app will tell you how much you took onboard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need to log out the app and log back in again. That's what I do for this issue. .
Thanks Scrooge, I should have mentioned that I did do that. I also turned my phone off and on again, but alas no joy. A Kia Soul driver told me once he only used the web site and not the App, and I didn't try that in this instance, but if that's the case why bother having an app that doesn't work?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sure is a strange one. I use Podpoints fairly often at several supermarkets without issue other than having to re-login occasionally. Is the app up to date?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Scrooge, I should have mentioned that I did do that. I also turned my phone off and on again, but alas no joy. A Kia Soul driver told me once he only used the web site and not the App, and I didn't try that in this instance, but if that's the case why bother having an app that doesn't work?
When you are connected to the store WiFi, are you signed in to the store WiFi? Did you check you able to surf the web or use other apps to ensure you are getting internet data?
If you are getting data, then the next troubleshooting step is to go in to the Settings menu of the phone, scroll to Apps then locate Pod Point app. Then go to the storage section and clear the storage. Then log back in and try again. (I assume you have the latest version of the app?)
If this doesn't work then the next is to clear the partition cache of the phone. This step does not wipe your phone it only wipes any redundant files from firmware updates. This sometimes cause issues.
I assume you have a Samsung phone based on your screen shot?
Check this video on how to do it
Make sure you select wipe partition cache, not factory reset!

Hope this fixes the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It’s a while since I’ve used those particular ones, and I think there was one time when I tried and they were out, but I’ve certainly charged successfully several times. On the whole, I find PoPoint one of the more straightforward apps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure is a strange one. I use Podpoints fairly often at several supermarkets without issue other than having to re-login occasionally. Is the app up to date?
Yes, app all up to date as I have auto-update turned on.

When you are connected to the store WiFi, are you signed in to the store WiFi? Did you check you able to surf the web or use other apps to ensure you are getting internet data?
If you are getting data, then the next troubleshooting step is to go in to the Settings menu of the phone, scroll to Apps then locate Pod Point app. Then go to the storage section and clear the storage. Then log back in and try again. (I assume you have the latest version of the app?)
If this doesn't work then the next is to clear the partition cache of the phone. This step does not wipe your phone it only wipes any redundant files from firmware updates. This sometimes cause issues.
I assume you have a Samsung phone based on your screen shot?
Check this video on how to do it
Make sure you select wipe partition cache, not factory reset!

Hope this fixes the issue. Good luck.
Thanks for this and I have now cleared the Cache (5.6MB) and the Data (190kb). I'll try again tomorrow when I am back there. And yes, Samsung phone in this case an S20 FE which is 4 weeks old so all apps got re-installed then when I migrated over.

Hi there fellow Godalming person. The pod points are rubbish basically and there are a couple of them that just don’t work there
Good to hear that I am not the only one! They are regularly ICE'd as well I notice, although never to the point I couldn't get a space. I did once have to speak to somebody who was not only there in a generic diesel 3 series but who'd parked sufficiently badly that I couldn't extract one of my children from the rear of the car. Inevitably he went off on a "I knew you were going to say something" like him being there was my fault but people like that are always going to be sanctimonious pr**ks no matter how you try to appeal to them.

It’s a while since I’ve used those particular ones, and I think there was one time when I tried and they were out, but I’ve certainly charged successfully several times. On the whole, I find PoPoint one of the more straightforward apps.
To be fair the handful of other Pod Point locations I have tried have been fine, it's just these ones that are the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To be fair the handful of other Pod Point locations I have tried have been fine, it's just these ones that are the problem.
[/QUOTE]

If the pod point app has been working at other locations then that would indicate 3 possible cause.
1. The mobile network signal is very weak where this problem is occurring.
2. Store WiFi, even though it shows connected it might not be letting your phone connect to the internet (test it by browsing the web)
3. Maybe the pod point charger is not connecting the network so your phone app cannot reach the unit (but based on the screen shot it looks more like an issue with internet connection on your phone)
Cause 1 or 2 seems more likely.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GTLine CCS
172 Posts
I use the pod points at my two local Tescos (I'm mid way between the Watford and Rickmansworth stores). I did have a problem like that early on and persevered on getting through to support. Was informed on that occasion it was an issue with the pod point unit and that an engineer had been scheduled but would be another week or so (this was back in June/July).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the pod point app has been working at other locations then that would indicate 3 possible cause.
1. The mobile network signal is very weak where this problem is occurring.
2. Store WiFi, even though it shows connected it might not be letting your phone connect to the internet (test it by browsing the web)
3. Maybe the pod point charger is not connecting the network so your phone app cannot reach the unit (but based on the screen shot it looks more like an issue with internet connection on your phone)
Cause 1 or 2 seems more likely.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The screen shot was taken when I was instore, hence the lack of signal, although it is 4 out of 5 bars when outside. Re the wi-fi, I was definitely able to connect to other sites so no issue there either. Remember of course that by this time I'd used the app to find my location, find the post, have it confirm that it was charging, then logged out, restarted the phone, logged back in and looked up the post again all of which needs a reasonable connection, which eliminates 1 & 2.

However, unlikely as it seems, the problem is 3 although I only know that because I received a response from Pod Point this evening. This is the email they sent reproduced in full:

Hello,

Hope you are well.

Apologies you've have issues with this unit.

As units installed at Sainbury's sites are some of our older units, a few have ended up losing comms resulting in the "no connection" error.

While we are working on plans to upgrade these units, most, if not all Sainsbury's sites have been set to plug and play. This means that app authentication isn't actually required to continue charging for longer than 15 minutes. This is to ensure you are able to charge no matter the comms situation with the charger.

Kind regards,
Omor

Omor Sany
Technical Support Engineer
Pod Point Ltd.

Tel: 0207 247 4114 | Web: www.pod-point.com
Address: Pod Point, 28-42 Banner St, London EC1Y 8QE
This would explain why the chap in the Nissan Leaf was so quick, but doesn't explain why in my app it still shows that I haven't taken on any power. And yet, based on the email above and the fact that I was plugged in throughout I should have been getting something.

I will test it again tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the pod points at my two local Tescos (I'm mid way between the Watford and Rickmansworth stores). I did have a problem like that early on and persevered on getting through to support. Was informed on that occasion it was an issue with the pod point unit and that an engineer had been scheduled but would be another week or so (this was back in June/July).
Thanks, seems like this is an issue with the units too but will check tomorrow and confirm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As planned, I went back to Sainsbury's Godalming yesterday to have another go with the Pod Point posts.

Firstly I went back to the post that used last week (and to which there was no connection) and plugged in. There were no lights on however, and the car made no noise, so I assume that post is just dead. Surprisingly the same Nissan Leaf that I saw last week was there at the same too.

So I changed spaces and quickly realised I'd found myself at the post that was doing all the constant clicking last week and still wasn't fixed, so that was a no-go.

So I moved again, this time to the post being shared by the Nissan, I plugged in, the car made all the correct noises, so I logged in and was able to confirm the charge, leading to this:

Although note that I took the screenshot about 40 minutes afterwards. That's relevant, because when I got back to the car and unplugged I noticed that the red light on the post was on and when I checked in the app, I saw this (I was on socket A):

So that means that, as a result of two charging posts being blocked off, there was just one point working that afternoon, the one charging the Nissan.

I appreciate that "one swallow does not make a summer" but it's this kind of thing that puts the fear in to people about electric cars.

Anyway I will continue to raise it with Pod Point and perhaps these things will eventually get fixed.

Thanks all for the help so far but I have just concluded that these posts are flaky as hell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts