Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have just watched the latest episode of "Maddie goes electric".

It is a good example of the chaotic and unregulated charging infrastructure here in the UK. This got me thinking. What if every EV driver used only contactless chargers? All the networks that insist that you jump through their hoops and use their apps, their RFID's, or subscribe to their network, would lose money and unless they adopted contactless charging would go out of business.

When I first bought my EV, I used the Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers at the motorway services because I didn't know any better. For the last 12 months when I have undertaken a long journey, I have used only contactless chargers by setting the payment filter in Zap-Map. Try it for yourself and see if you can make one of your long journeys using only contactless chargers.

Now I know some people use the monthly subscription to get a cheaper rate, which is great if you make a lot of long journeys every month. For me however, and I think many others, when you make few long journeys, a subscription just doesn't work.

So come on folks, set the payment filter in Zap-Map and change the world. Do it for EV drivers, do it for your children, and do it FOR THE FUTURE!!!! Sorry . . . Went a bit Mel Gibson at the end there. :)

·
Registered
Kona 64
581 Posts
I go for a halfway house, I do not like apps, such a hassle, I hate the Ecofreakery App almost as much as I hate their chargers (think Kona owner). I tolerate the Podpoint app, as the chargers I use are free.

But I do like the Polar subscription and RIFD. I have access to several free chargers, including the local P&R. I have also been able to register my Polar card to use at GeniePoint. That is useful as GeniePoint are a bit of a faff. Thats probably a good reason to boycott them, that along with their charging structure.

I note that Polar intend to go contactless card this year. I think that a lot of free chargers will retain RIFD or apps, I am waiting to see what preferential rates I might get with Ionity now that Hyundai are part of the consortium. I would not want to pay the latest tariff so I would go with what is effectively a ‘membership’ card aka - RIFD.

If I have to pay the full wack a contaclless card is preferred.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go for a halfway house, I do not like apps, such a hassle, I hate the Ecofreakery App almost as much as I hate their chargers (think Kona owner). I tolerate the Podpoint app, as the chargers I use are free.

But I do like the Polar subscription and RIFD. I have access to several free chargers, including the local P&R. I have also been able to register my Polar card to use at GeniePoint. That is useful as GeniePoint are a bit of a faff. Thats probably a good reason to boycott them, that along with their charging structure.

I note that Polar intend to go contactless card this year. I think that a lot of free chargers will retain RIFD or apps, I am waiting to see what preferential rates I might get with Ionity now that Hyundai are part of the consortium. I would not want to pay the latest tariff so I would go with what is effectively a ‘membership’ card aka - RIFD.

If I have to pay the full wack a contaclless card is preferred.
Yep, quite agree. We have to vote with our feet (or wheels) and go where we get the best deals. The only app I have is Pod Point because I have one of their home chargers and I fill up for free at Tesco. The rest of the time I use contactless, usually Engenie (the one at a Marston's pub just off the M5 at Worcester is a good one), and Instavolt (usually at a Ballantyne health centre). As a side note, last month I got 218 miles of free travel with the Tesco chargers. :)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
As a new EV owner, can I ask everyone what good apps / subscriptions you would suggest I should get in order to drive around and charge my new Kona when away from home charging.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, you will need Zap-Map which will show you where all the chargers are in the UK. I personally have set the payment filter for "contactless/credit card". This will show you all the chargers which accept card payments and it's so much easier.

Secondly, download A Better Route Planner. This is great for planning long trips and is really accurate if you adjust all the settings for weather, wind direction, passengers, etc.

My third choice would be Pod Point, as they operate the free chargers at supermarkets. Last month I travelled 218 miles for free using Tesco chargers.

Those are my personal recommendations, and I presume other members of the forum will have their preferences as well. (But the first two are a must).

·
Registered
Kona 64
581 Posts
Agree with the last comment. Some choices will be specific to you,

Where do you visit locally which have free chargers? I mainly charge at home as being the cheapest option but with a Polar subscription I get free charging at the local P&R.

Further afield research the routes you take using Zap Map and see what chargers you might want on route. If they are Instavolt or Engenie, then they are great networks and you can pay by contactless.

I visit several places which have free charging, for instance Chester Zoo. For that you need the Pod Point app as mentioned in the last post. If you use motorways then the Ecotricity app is needed. Having said that their chargers are unreliable and the app is unreliable as well, but needs must

Its less hassle to sign up for an app now rather than when you are in a windswept car park!

Always, always have a Plan B and possibly C on a long trip. The charger you want might be occupied (surprisingly unusual) or broken (less unusual).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ecotrici
Agree with the last comment. Some choices will be specific to you,

Where do you visit locally which have free chargers? I mainly charge at home as being the cheapest option but with a Polar subscription I get free charging at the local P&R.

Further afield research the routes you take using Zap Map and see what chargers you might want on route. If they are Instavolt or Engenie, then they are great networks and you can pay by contactless.

I visit several places which have free charging, for instance Chester Zoo. For that you need the Pod Point app as mentioned in the last post. If you use motorways then the Ecotricity app is needed. Having said that their chargers are unreliable and the app is unreliable as well, but needs must

Its less hassle to sign up for an app now rather than when you are in a windswept car park!

Always, always have a Plan B and possibly C on a long trip. The charger you want might be occupied (surprisingly unusual) or broken (less unusual).
Ecotricity have got the motorway network sewn up unless you own a Tesla. I've found that Instavolt and Engenie have chargers only a couple of miles off a motorway junction and the surroundings and facilities are a lot more pleasant and way cheaper than the motorway services. :) (Also, Ecotricity charge 39p/kWh, whereas Instavolt and Engenie charge 35p and 36p respectively).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts