Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that it's considered courteous to leave contact details on your dash when public charging, so people who need the charger for an emergency can get hold of you.

I'm a bit uncomfortable leaving my mobile number on the dashboard for all to see. I see you can check in on Plugshare, and people can contact you on that app. Is that a good way to achieve the same result, or is there a better way of being a charging good citizen?

·
Registered
16,760 Posts
What sort of emergency is this that they need to sit at a charger for 30 minutes?

If you are desperate to get somewhere, call a taxi?

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
You don't need to leave contact details at all. As long as you're respectful when using the charger and are removing your car as soon as its no longer charging rapidly (or just generally not hogging it for a rediculous amount of time after its finished charging if we're talking about an AC destination post)

As was posted above, there aren't really any emergencies other than impatient and entitled drivers who don't want to wait. And if that's who is making an 'emergency' then I definitely wouldn't want them having my phone number!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
100 Posts
I understand that it's considered courteous to leave contact details on your dash when public charging, so people who need the charger for an emergency can get hold of you.

I'm a bit uncomfortable leaving my mobile number on the dashboard for all to see. I see you can check in on Plugshare, and people can contact you on that app. Is that a good way to achieve the same result, or is there a better way of being a charging good citizen?
Check out - Need to charge....

Simply type in registration number of car on charge and owner receives a text to indicate someone is waiting.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I'd leave my mobile number (I've repurposed an old parking clock to say how long I expect to be charging and giving the number).
The dash of a car on charge isn't likely to attract much interest from general passers-by, and the odds of some scammer harvesting it is remote I think.
My thinking is that if someone has a clear indication of how long they have to wait and the possibility of contacting me, they are likely to be a bit more patient and not start trying to terminate my charge. Not all, but probably most.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to sign up for the Need to Charge site, it looks like a good idea, and people don't need to be registered to use it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess that if I arrived at a charger where there was a car charging, all I need to know is what time they intend to return. That would be useful, then I can decide whether to wait or to move on.

The idea of phoning them to let them know I'm waiting? Well no, I'm not that important.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
Plugshare is a requirement at a business park I work at ( in the pre March sense).
We daily got 4-5cars through each 7kw charge point, and on Fridays when they are less used people can leave it until someone arrives to want to use and normally the finisher plugs in the new-arrivers cable when they go + free up the point. With plugshare one of the main points is people can see how long before you're likely to free up, and the business park has a 3hr max usage rule too.
I recognise the Need to Charge doesn't require me to register in advance but if it's a place you and others regularly share I can recommend it as a tool.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,370 Posts
I've repurposed an old parking clock to say how long I expect to be charging
This is an excellent idea!

I'll be doing the same. Use it to mark when I'll be back to move the car.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Needtocharge is a very simple solution. Timer discs and/or notes are fine, but they require action each time which is something I'm not great at as I'm a scatter brain.

I have a needtocharge disc hanging in the car permanently (2 actually, one above the charge port and one at the front window) so whether I'm at a rapid or a destination charger I can be contacted to ask when I'm due back.

20200901_154349.jpg

20200901_154557.jpg

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
100 Posts
Needtocharge is a very simple solution. Timer discs and/or notes are fine, but they require action each time which is something I'm not great at as I'm a scatter brain.

I have a needtocharge disc hanging in the car permanently (2 actually, one above the charge port and one at the front window) so whether I'm at a rapid or a destination charger I can be contacted to ask when I'm due back.

View attachment 134301

View attachment 134302

Likewise - one in the front and one in the rear windscreen. As yet no one has used it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have you checked that your notifications work? Sometimes your phone permissions or app settings stop you from getting them.

To test, go into the app and enter DISCTEST for the license plate and hit "I need to charge".

I have only had a few requests but not to worry, its still fairly early days for the app but word is spreading fast.

And there are no downsides, so no harm!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thank you!

Signed up and printed the disk. Time to find those old tax disk stickers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Signed up and printed the disk. Time to find those old tax disk stickers.
If you have the time and a laminator, you can do what I did and make a suction disc.

Or for the cost of the postage (£1) I can send you a pack including a disc with your reg coded into the QR, laminated and all.

20200822_220800.jpg

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Or for the cost of the postage (£1) I can send you a pack including a disc with your reg coded into the QR, laminated and all.
I'd like to take you up on this offer! What do you need from me? I'll private message you.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,826 Posts
Have you checked that your notifications work? Sometimes your phone permissions or app settings stop you from getting them.

To test, go into the app and enter DISCTEST for the license plate and hit "I need to charge".

I have only had a few requests but not to worry, its still fairly early days for the app but word is spreading fast.

And there are no downsides, so no harm!
App installed and successfully tested. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts