Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I deliberately didn't post in the MY forum, as it doesn't seem fair to pollute that forum with my opinion :) )

In full preparation for the incoming hate.......

I've just seen my third or so MY in real life this week, and God! The Model Y is an ugly, bland (if that's not an oxymoron), hump-backed, miss-mash of childish, immature design features - it looks so poor in real life; no style or grace from any angle.

The M3 is ok, even if it does look like a 7 year old drew it and a little bland and inconsequential, but somehow sticking a bike pump in it and inflating it really hasn't worked.

This is a real shame as Tesla's battery and drivetrain engineering is without equal, by quite a long stretch, but their design dept? ........(n):cautious::rolleyes:.

There. I've done it.....I feel better now.......perhaps time to not check the forum for a while ;)

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
(I deliberately didn't post in the MY forum, as it doesn't seem fair to pollute that forum with my opinion :) )

I've just seen my third or so MY in real life this week, and God! The Model Y is an ugly, bland (if that's not an oxymoron), hump-backed, miss-mash of childish, immature design features - it looks so poor in real life; no style or grace from any angle.

The M3 is ok, even if it does look like a 7 year old drew it and a little bland and inconsequential, but somehow sticking a bike pump in it and inflating it really hasn't worked.

This is a real shame as Tesla's battery and drivetrain engineering is without equal, by quite a long stretch, but their design dept? ........(n):cautious::rolleyes:.

There. I've done it.....I feel better now.......perhaps time to not check the forum for a while ;)
When I look at the M3 and the Y, I always think of Jeremy's voice in the Disney-Pixar movie and think that somehow, the carton cars in that were better designed.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,526 Posts
I quite like the M3 and the MS, but the Y and X are what happens when you design a car in a 16:9 format that's transposed to 4:3. I bet if a tree falls on them they'll start to look good.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've always loved the look of the model 3, but the model Y proportions look very... erm... Funhouse Mirror??!!

You know those lazy bodybuilders that inject Synthol into their biceps triceps and traps, but nowhere else... So they look a ridiculous shape?? That's the model Y!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I actually find the Model Y a fairly decent exterior design and nicer than the Model 3. It is the utterly bland interior as well as the poor suspension on both that keep putting me off Tesla's. Thankfully he build quality is at an acceptable level now.

The Model 3 test drive did it no favours and was just nowhere near as nice to drive, or to look at as the I-Pace I also tested and ultimately ordered as my next EV.

Having said that, I just looked at an image of a Model Y front and it reminds me of this guy.

Model Y

Admiral Ackbar

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Must say I like the VW ID3 front. Saw one yesterday and it struck me how 'natural' it looks.
View attachment 161727
But some folks think that looks ‘wrong’ too, and a few think it’s Pixar’s Lightning McQueen. Don’t see that myself, and we all like different things.

I don’t want ‘Stepford Cars’ either really. 😂

But anyway, ‘best selling EV’, ‘sell all they can make’, ‘oh look at the tech’ etc etc. Best get that in early before the popcorn runs out. 🤣

·
Registered
233 Posts
But some folks think that looks ‘wrong’ too, and a few think it’s Pixar’s Lightning McQueen. Don’t see that myself, and we all like different things.

I don’t want ‘Stepford Cars’ either really. 😂

But anyway, ‘best selling EV’, ‘sell all they can make’, ‘oh look at the tech’ etc etc. Best get that in early before the popcorn runs out CryptoKid turns up. 🤣
Fixed that for you :sneaky:

I think the ID3 and ID4 look more like Big Hero 6 than Lightning McQueen.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
(Controversial) but I think the Y looks better than the 3… from a distance it looks more in proportion - the huge windscreen seems wrong with the low bonnet on the 3.
It also makes a big difference for both in a dark colour - blue or grey - with black handles/trim - they both almost look alright.

·
Journeyman Human
551 Posts

As a massive Tesla enthusiast, fanboy, & holder of a significant amount of TSLA shares, you might be surprised to find... I totally agree with you!

I drive an S, which I find elegant for the class of car it is, really quite nicely styled, but the rest are proper mingers, as we say locally, the Y being the worst.

The good news is almost nobody seems to care, or they actually like the looks of it, as it's massively successful and will probably become the best selling car ever.

I do think it has been styled for aerodynamics before looks as it has exceptionally low drag and is ultra efficient, it's actually really impressive, just not pretty at all.

Now a bit just for you Jon. The EV6 is a bit of a minger as well! :ROFLMAO: but it does have quite a nice cabin.

·
Journeyman Human
551 Posts
All the teslas are ugly. The Y is just a fat version of the 3 with an uglier back end. Both have fugly fish face fronts. The original Leaf was an absolute munter as well. May as well stoke the bin fire :)
You know it's odd, but the first Leaf has grown on me over time, I find it differently interesting rather than ugly these days. The facelift though, eugh!! Now that is a proper minger.

·
Journeyman Human
551 Posts
Must say I like the VW ID3 front. Saw one yesterday and it struck me how 'natural' it looks.
View attachment 161727
Yeah, The ID3 is pretty nice looking, that black plastic bulging bit below the windscreen is slightly odd though, clearly not actually needed either, as the sister car, the Born just has the bonnet go all the way to the windscreen. The Born is even more pretty than the ID3 I think.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

1 - 20 of 145 Posts