Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
Cupra Born
645 Posts
Must say I like the VW ID3 front. Saw one yesterday and it struck me how 'natural' it looks.
I've rented one now for 5 months, I wouldn't buy one purely because of the front, it looks stubby like its ran into a wall. The Born shows the platform can be done nicely.

The Y can look odd at certain angles, others it can look good.

Good job we don't all like the same thing, be a bit boring seeing everyone driving around in Teslas, oh wait... ;)🤣

·
Registered
198 Posts
The good news is almost nobody seems to care, or they actually like the looks of it, as it's massively successful and will probably become the best selling car ever.

I do think it has been styled for aerodynamics before looks as it has exceptionally low drag and is ultra efficient, it's actually really impressive, just not pretty at all.

Now a bit just for you Jon. The EV6 is a bit of a minger as well! :ROFLMAO: but it does have quite a nice cabin.
I have an EV6 ordered (delivery “August” when ordered in Feb so presumable Dec/Jan/Feb-ish now).

The MY would probably be a more sensible choice - more efficient and likely lower depreciation, so almost certainly lower TCO and probably bettter longevity too (OTA, more modern CPU). Lovely pano roof, great boot space. Faster (not that it really matters once you get to 5s 0-60). Suspension is a little crashy in the rear, but liveable with, for me. Load capacity was a concern (and was the main reason I plumped for the EV6) but recent updates seem to have improved that now (250kg additional capacity means it is now near top of class for payload).

But it is so very bland outside and very simplistic inside. I think perhaps I’m just not quite ready to drive one of eleventy hundred thousand identical-looking cars - especially if it is as successful as I suspect it will be.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As a massive Tesla enthusiast, fanboy, & holder of a significant amount of TSLA shares, you might be surprised to find... I totally agree with you!

I drive an S, which I find elegant for the class of car it is, really quite nicely styled, but the rest are proper mingers, as we say locally, the Y being the worst.

The good news is almost nobody seems to care, or they actually like the looks of it, as it's massively successful and will probably become the best selling car ever.

I do think it has been styled for aerodynamics before looks as it has exceptionally low drag and is ultra efficient, it's actually really impressive, just not pretty at all.

Now a bit just for you Jon. The EV6 is a bit of a minger as well! :ROFLMAO: but it does have quite a nice cabin.
I agree - the S is a great looking car - and the X isn't too bad either - I would drive either, but not the Plaid (if I could afford them).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Fixed that for you :sneaky:

I think the ID3 and ID4 look more like Big Hero 6 than Lightning McQueen.
My Spidey senses were tingling at the fish and chip shop , Funny enough i think the Model Y is fine looking, but i will say the Audi Q4 E-tron is a better looking car, just worse at everything else. I get to nab the Model Y off this wife tomorrow to take my boy fishing, and this is why i wanted one in the family, back seats down it will swallow my orid bag and tackle box and 5 wheel trolley with ease.

Anyway a 3 way review popped into my Youtube feed today while i was nabbing some free Supercharger miles in Banbury, posted below. Bet you cant guess which car Car Wow think is the best all round as a ownership prospect. This video kind of explains why people buy the Tesla Model Y, who are not obsessed with a cars looks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I despise carwow and wouldn't use it as a source to pick a car for my worst enemy. It is pointless drivel as are the vast majority of mainstream reviews.

I got far more useful info from Bjorn Nyland, Kris Rifa and reading various user forums than I ever got from a mainstream review.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
706 Posts
Only tesla that looks remotely handsome, if un interesting is the S.. The X is its frumpy cousin and the 3 and Y are well just plain boring.

But like everything EV, CL/CD is everything and designs tend to use that as the primary concern.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,439 Posts
I see that a couple of the thin skinned ones have visited already… 😂

I have noticed that kids tend to comment on our Tesla, I think that’s the brand awareness/influencer thing.

There’s been a couple of positive comments on the GTX, both adults, but I don’t really like any car I drive getting attention really.

I also don’t get the ‘you could have got a Tesla for that’ argument, surely if people wanted one then they would have.

We all like and prioritise different things, which is good, personally I like visiting VW dealers.😉🤣

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,439 Posts
I agree - the S is a great looking car - and the X isn't too bad either - I would drive either, but not the Plaid (if I could afford them).
Again, I kind of like the S, the 3 looks great from some angles but boring from others, I don’t even mind the Y although it looks like a 3 that’s had Botox, but the X looks very wrong to my eyes. But, some people love them, which is great.

·
Registered
Leaf 24 Tekna '64 || Model Y LR on order
1,740 Posts
Frog eyed first-gen Nissan Leaf and Model Y on order, the Y is replacing a Skoda Octavia in brown, you know how much we care about looks of white goods that moves us from A to B.

Well, actually, we had the grey/silver on order, but after seeing one in person, I decided to change it to Blue. If it were up to me, I'd saved the money and gone default white. Wife says I'm not going to wash it often enough, so from practicality point of view, colour requires less car washes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
ID3
311 Posts
I saw a red id4 gtx the other day and was surprised, I really liked it. I usually am religiously against giant suvs so didn’t quite know how to process these unexpected feelings 😆

I don’t like the x and y personally but sort of respect it. It acknowledges what people really want in an suv, a high vantage point that’s easy to get in and out of and a bit of extra room. If they can give you that without the ridiculous drag coefficient of box/pretending to be an off roader then fair play to them.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,439 Posts
I decided to change it to Blue. If it were up to me, I'd saved the money and gone default white. Wife says I'm not going to wash it often enough, so from practicality point of view, colour requires less car washes.
The blue I’m finding is actually quite high maintenance.

Bird droppings etch it in an instant, and there are dozens of white stone chips all over it too, particularly on the leading edge of the lower part of the rear arches.

You’ll need some paint protective film there, why it’s not standard I don’t know, and some kind of sealant would probably help.

Our blue M3 looks lovely when it’s washed and clean, just don’t look too closely!

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Model Y is an ugly, bland (if that's not an oxymoron), hump-backed, miss-mash of childish, immature design features - it looks so poor in real life; no style or grace from any angle.
Well I hope that made you feel better but it seems well over 500,000 drivers disagree with you or at least appreciate its non-design attributes enough to acquire one.

21 - 40 of 145 Posts