Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
Well I hope that made you feel better but it seems well over 500,000 drivers disagree with you or at least appreciate its non-design attributes enough to acquire one.
Well, is that a logical argument? I mean, far more people haven’t purchased a Model Y over the last couple of years?

It just reinforces the old adage, there’s no right or wrong car, just the right or wrong car for you.

Let people give opinion on what they like, buy what they like, drive what they like, but get on with life.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
Of course people can have an opinion but when they post it on a public forum I reserve the right to have some fun by challenging it.
Nobody is saying you can’t, I was interested in your ‘500k people disagree with you’ comment. Is it possible that people have still purchased one despite being uncomfortable with how it looks? I know I did with the i3, and to some extent with the M3 and GTX, there are aspects of the design I just don’t like, but overall as cars they work.

I suspect the majority of people don’t give it a second thought, not everybody is as car or EV obsessed as members here!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
the MG5 is nearly there… but the waistline crease on the sides is just slightly too high - makes it look not quite right imho. Still there in the facelift…
Interesting. For me MG5 is a car that looked pretty ugly and clumsy in the initial publicity materials. Seeing one in the flesh I like it a lot more but I wouldn't call it beautiful.
The Ioniq5 for me was the opposite. I really liked the pre launch images, but seeing one up close I couldn't quite stack up that it was the same car, I took a rapid dislike to it. The size is part of it, the interesting bits are diluted far too much by the enormousness of the bits in between.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
223 Posts
Interesting. For me MG5 is a car that looked pretty ugly and clumsy in the initial publicity materials. Seeing one in the flesh I like it a lot more but I wouldn't call it beautiful.
The Ioniq5 for me was the opposite. I really liked the pre launch images, but seeing one up close I couldn't quite stack up that it was the same car, I took a rapid dislike to it. The size is part of it, the interesting bits are diluted far too much by the enormousness of the bits in between.
Agree about the Ioniq5, it is just too big for me. Pre launch I thought it looked like a futuristic hatch, although my wife thought it looked terrible and immediately ruled it out of any consideration, so what do I know.
Re: Tesla, I actually like the looks of the Model 3 more than any other EV really (except a Taycan) other than how common it is... but I agree the Model Y looks a bit rubbish, it just seems out of proportion. Having said that, for me the combination of practicality and efficiency would win out over looks every time if I was on the market for an SUV and comparing the Y against competitors.

I like the EV6 looks the best from the front and side or to walk around. However I find from a low height at the rear - ie when sat behind it in a normal car - it looks awful. Too big, high and a bit boxy. I think the same about the Polestar.

I find the current MG5 very boring but the next version looks like it should be better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I ge tthat looks are subjective but for me having test driven most of the following and at the very least looked at them in the metal. This is not specifically the order I tested or looked at these EVs and is just my personal opinion.

1. EV6. Did not like the images I saw but when I looked at it I thought it looked great apart from the rear. One of the best looking EVs out there IMHO.
  2. Ioniq 5. Loved the images I saw but absolutely hated it in the flesh as it had far too many angles and "style" features that just made me think "why". My wife described it as all style and no grace.
  3. MachE. Really great looking car IMHO but priced itself out of my leasing considerations.
  4. Audi Q4. Typical audi, looks great without really trying too hard. Audi seem to have a knack of making cars that don't stand out too much but have a good style to them. Just very cheap on the interior for an Audi.
  5. ID4. Liked it on the outside, not so much on the inside and even cheaper in feel to the Audi.
  6. Enyaq. Not bad and the best way I could describe it is that it doesn't stand out from a crowd it any way.
  7. Tesla Model 3. Not bad from some angles but the front looks wrong IMHO. The interior was very much like a plank with a steering wheel and an iPad stuck to it. Absolutely zero thought went into it. Thankfully build quality had improved from when I checked one out a few years back.
  8. Model Y. I felt the proportions looked better than on the M3 but still the same horrible interior.
  9. Polestar 2. A very nice looking car, more crossover than hatch but my wife felt it wasn't practical enough. I would have happily had one.
  10. iX3. Similar to the Q4 in that it just looks like a nice car without trying too hard. A very good contender until my wife found out it was RWD only.
  11. I-Pace. Just looked great from almost every angle. It looses out in charging speed but for our needs it is great to look at, great to drive and pracitcal enough for our needs. It looks great without trying too hard and it will still look good in years to come.
  12. XC40 Recharge. Styling did dnothing for me or my wife, typical Volvo small box on a big box look.

We went with the I-Pace despite some shortcomings as it drove the best and looked the best.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
I ge tthat looks are subjective but for me having test driven most of the following and at the very least looked at them in the metal. This is not specifically the order I tested or looked at these EVs and is just my personal opinion.

1. EV6. Did not like the images I saw but when I looked at it I thought it looked great apart from the rear. One of the best looking EVs out there IMHO.
  2. Ioniq 5. Loved the images I saw but absolutely hated it in the flesh as it had far too many angles and "style" features that just made me think "why". My wife described it as all style and no grace.
  3. MachE. Really great looking car IMHO but priced itself out of my leasing considerations.
  4. Audi Q4. Typical audi, looks great without really trying too hard. Audi seem to have a knack of making cars that don't stand out too much but have a good style to them. Just very cheap on the interior for an Audi.
  5. ID4. Liked it on the outside, not so much on the inside and even cheaper in feel to the Audi.
  6. Enyaq. Not bad and the best way I could describe it is that it doesn't stand out from a crowd it any way.
  7. Tesla Model 3. Not bad from some angles but the front looks wrong IMHO. The interior was very much like a plank with a steering wheel and an iPad stuck to it. Absolutely zero thought went into it. Thankfully build quality had improved from when I checked one out a few years back.
  8. Model Y. I felt the proportions looked better than on the M3 but still the same horrible interior.
  9. Polestar 2. A very nice looking car, more crossover than hatch but my wife felt it wasn't practical enough. I would have happily had one.
  10. iX3. Similar to the Q4 in that it just looks like a nice car without trying too hard. A very good contender until my wife found out it was RWD only.
  11. I-Pace. Just looked great from almost every angle. It looses out in charging speed but for our needs it is great to look at, great to drive and pracitcal enough for our needs. It looks great without trying too hard and it will still look good in years to come.
  12. XC40 Recharge. Styling did dnothing for me or my wife, typical Volvo small box on a big box look.

We went with the I-Pace despite some shortcomings as it drove the best and looked the best.
It’s funny isn’t it, my wife and I talked about what we’d replace the two EVs we have now with if we were buying today.

I’d go with the C40 Recharge I think, or an iPace, my wife said she’d like to go to a Polestar or another M3, although the latter she chose due to the SuC network which she has hardly utilised as it turns out.

We’re very happy with what we have, and thankful given supply issues, but the thing that stood out on your list is the variety and choice we have now compared to a couple of years ago.

Supply issues aside of course.

We do need more good lower cost EVs though, whatever they look like!

·
Registered
233 Posts
It’s funny isn’t it, my wife and I talked about what we’d replace the two EVs we have now with if we were buying today.

I’d go with the C40 Recharge I think, or an iPace, my wife said she’d like to go to a Polestar or another M3, although the latter she chose due to the SuC network which she has hardly utilised as it turns out.

We’re very happy with what we have, and thankful given supply issues, but the thing that stood out on your list is the variety and choice we have now compared to a couple of years ago.

Supply issues aside of course.

We do need more good lower cost EVs though, whatever they look like!
Good point on the much improved choice for EVs now. I also forgot that we also checked out the EQA but it was ruled out due to lack of practicality.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I like the EV6 looks the best from the front and side or to walk around. However I find from a low height at the rear - ie when sat behind it in a normal car - it looks awful.
Yeah I had an unfamiliar car join the motorway in front of me, just saw the rear, it was awful, some strange indent creating a weird shelf effect. It was an EV6. In the photos, from a higher view and different perspective it looks good, on the road not so much!

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yep, I think it’s a shame that Kia have soiled the EV6 design with using a lot of it on the Sportage.

If you can dislike something for any reason, why not me?! 😂
You can, it's fine ;)

It's charge regularly levelled at BMW (and VAG / Merc) - continuation of a design "theme" meaning at a distance it's quite difficult to tell a 3-series, from a 5-series, from a 7-series.....

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My 10 year old son thinks we should get a Tesla.

When I was his age I wanted either a Ducati 900SS or a Moto Guzzi Le Mans.

Not sure where I went wrong - parenting is hard ;)
My 10 year old self wanted a Countach - you're definitely doing something wrong :) ;)

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
My 10 year old son thinks we should get a Tesla.

When I was his age I wanted either a Ducati 900SS or a Moto Guzzi Le Mans.

Not sure where I went wrong - parenting is hard ;)
My 10 year old self wanted a Countach - you're definitely doing something wrong :) ;)
Did both of you also have that ‘Tennis Girl’ poster on your walls, or just me?!

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Did both of you also have that ‘Tennis Girl’ poster on your walls, or just me?!
Can't remember - might have been Sam Fox during my first year at Uni, in digs, though.

Sorry - thread diversion, and it's my own thread!

41 - 60 of 145 Posts