Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I do? I’ve got a bike bump and probably need the exercise but am too lazy. Are those tyre repair kit compressors ok to use for topping up tyres?

·
Registered
286 Posts
What’s wrong with going to a petrol station to top up tyre pressure? You could always buy a portable compressor otherwise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve just been enjoying the thought I’d never have to go to one again! Bit silly really I know

·
Registered
536 Posts
I carry a portable compressor as part of my puncture repair kit anyway.
I've used the free time when supercharging before to set all my tyres.
But as firetrax says, what's wrong with the ones at petrol stations? More and more are having rapid chargers fitted now too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that’s a good idea to do it while charging.
I carry a portable compressor as part of my puncture repair kit anyway.
I've used the free time when supercharging before to set all my tyres.
But as firetrax says, what's wrong with the ones at petrol stations? More and more are having rapid chargers fitted now too.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I haven't needed to top up my tyres for a year or more. The car's tyre monitor system will let me know if/when action is needed. The spare kit compressor will easily handle any small adjustments anyway.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What do I do? I’ve got a bike bump and probably need the exercise but am too lazy. Are those tyre repair kit compressors ok to use for topping up tyres?
Why wouldn't they be?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have had cheap ones, and more recently my brother bought a cordless battery powered one, that struggle to get over 40psi. But any half decent one should be fine with the slightly excessive +42psi

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've always found electric compressors more hassle than their worth. Get a Track-style bicycle pump and you'll be done quite quickly, less finicky than a footpump. Just keep it in the shed/garage.

I haven't needed to top up my tyres for a year or more. The car's tyre monitor system will let me know if/when action is needed. The spare kit compressor will easily handle any small adjustments anyway.
Seasonal variations alone should mean you need to adjust tyre pressures at least once a quarter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a mini compressor supplied with my Toyota and it is perfect (and quick) for inflating tyres. I especially like the fact it screws on rather than clipping on so no loss of air. I totally agree with EricM as there is no way any domestic compressor will inflate a tyre that has lost it's seal. As most new cars do not carry spares, if you get a proper flat tyre you will have to use a mobile tyre repair/replacement service or a breakdown service.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Halfords used to (25 years ago) have a hierarchy of footpumps with the cheapest being a plastic bodied one, mid-range was a single barrelled metal job, and the top dog was a double barrelled metal.

The cheap one was the best: virtually indestructible. Mine is on its 3rd connector hose but the body is still good.

If you've wondered why you never see plastic footpumps any more in Halfords it's because they don't die unlike the shonky metal ones.

Bad for business.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,354 Posts
I recommend getting a stirrup pump.

They last a long time. I got one (one) about 20 years ago, and still gets routine use, after multiple foot lever pumps failed (the rods always break) and a couple of broken electric ones.

You should have a pump in the back of the car, surprised if there isn't one, in fact (and I don't want to make a false claim here, so feel free to check) I suspect there may be a homologation requirement to have kit to re-inflate a broken tyre (which might simply be a spare wheel .. which is a legislated homologation requirement in some countries I believe, such as Australia and France but can be a modified requirement under authority, such as a good repair kit).

1 - 20 of 89 Posts