Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Rolec Type 2 charger with a tethered charge cable. I now have an Ohme add-on smart cable which requires an untethered Type 2 socket at the wall charger end. I can get the Rolec parts to do the conversion (basically the socket and a mounting plate) but I'm not sure how the wiring of the socket should be done. Also helpful would be the correct spec. of the stranded brown, blue and green/yellow cable required for the internal mains wiring.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I currently have a Rolec Type 2 charger with a tethered charge cable. I now have an Ohme add-on smart cable which requires an untethered Type 2 socket at the wall charger end. I can get the Rolec parts to do the conversion (basically the socket and a mounting plate) but I'm not sure how the wiring of the socket should be done. Also helpful would be the correct spec. of the stranded brown, blue and green/yellow cable required for the internal mains wiring.

Many thanks.
Not sure the Rolex protocol controller for a tethered unit is the same as for an untetheted. It needs extra functionality to control solenoid and check cable current capacity.

If it was me, I would junk the Rolex protocol controller and replace it with a Viridian equivalent, obviously untetheted flavour. You might have a slight adjustment to make to the indicator lights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure the Rolex protocol controller for a tethered unit is the same as for an untetheted. It needs extra functionality to control solenoid and check cable current capacity.

If it was me, I would junk the Rolex protocol controller and replace it with a Viridian equivalent, obviously untetheted flavour. You might have a slight adjustment to make to the indicator lights.
Thanks for that. Not something I was aware of or even that there was a difference. I'll have a look at the EVSE Web site where there is much info. Thanks again for the suggestion - GeoffT.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Thanks for that. Not something I was aware of or even that there was a difference. I'll have a look at the EVSE Web site where there is much info. Thanks again for the suggestion - GeoffT.
Hi Geoff, someone may have a different / better idea so keep on asking.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Also search for Mainpine EVSE protocol controller ( which is functionally the same as the Viridian unit).

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
If I was you I'd just get the commando version and wire it straight into the Rolec by taking the commando plug off.
Much much less work and faff.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DOH
That's planning 🤣🙈
Rolec unit purchased three years ago, under the OLEV scheme, when I got my first EV. Have learned much since. Recently switched to Octopus Agile and got one Ohme intellignt charger at the subsidised price. Now want to add a second-hand Ohme (which happens to be the Type 2 to Type 2 cable unit) to the legacy Rolec.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Rolec unit purchased three years ago, under the OLEV scheme, when I got my first EV. Have learned much since. Recently switched to Octopus Agile and got one Ohme intellignt charger at the subsidised price. Now want to add a second-hand Ohme (which happens to be the Type 2 to Type 2 cable unit) to the legacy Rolec.
I've seen a tear down video of an Ohme device so maybe that would be a good way to unmount the type 2 lead and replace it with a normal lead with tails?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've seen a tear down video of an Ohme device so maybe that would be a good way to unmount the type 2 lead and replace it with a normal lead with tails?
Uhmmmmm, if it's type 2 input, it's expecting pilot control signal inputs.

So NO

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Coming back to this thread I'm coming to the conclusion that you should consider two other options:
  • Sell the Rolec and buy another more modern type 2 EVSE. This is likely to be lower net cost than upgrading the Rolec and leave you compliant with the current regs.
  • Sell the Rolec and the Ohme and install either a tethered or Commando Ohme unit. The former is safer but the latter is more flexible.
It's your choice but I'd probably go with the first of the above.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I' coming to the conclusion that OP has already purchased the 2nd OMHE cable.

That's a sunk cost.

If he needs help on how to achieve a pretty safe, low cost and effective conversion of the Rolex to a type 2 socket, probably James at EcoHarmony would be pleased to help.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

Looking at that link it doesn't look like you'd need to worry about the pilot cable.

remove the Type2 cable from the Input of the Ohme, and then find suitable cable to patch straight into the Input to the rolec. Job done.

inside pic of a rolec should help...

You just need to provide the rolec with power and job done.
if the Ohme is under warranty its a different matter of course.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Looking at that link it doesn't look like you'd need to worry about the pilot cable.
That link shows the Commando cable version. How do you conclude that means that the version fed from a Type 2 doesn't reference the pilot cables?
remove the Type2 cable from the Input of the Ohme, and then find suitable cable to patch straight into the Input to the rolec. Job done.
I think that this is very dangerous advice. :eek: Do NOT follow it unless you fully understand what you are doing and how the Ohme unit works.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That link shows the Commando cable version. How do you conclude that means that the version fed from a Type 2 doesn't reference the pilot cables?

I think that this is very dangerous advice. :eek: Do NOT follow it unless you fully understand what you are doing and how the Ohme unit works.
Agree this is dangerous and misleading advice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts