Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads on here about the notification beeps the horn blasts out whenever the car is locked, or charging starts, or keys are left inside, or whatever other reason it wants to beep at you and cause embarrassment in the process.

Turning the notifications off can be one solution, although I still like to know that my car is locked as I walk away or has started charging, etc.

Making a chirp* noise, like most regular cars do would be great, but obviously there's no hardware or software in the Volt (or Ampera?) to do that. Swapping the horn for a chirper would work, but would obviously be dangerous in an emergency and would also fail a MOT.

So, I've been thinking about this, and think I've come up with a solution although I'll need to come up with a custom PCB design (not too hard, as that's what I do) and a chirp noise maker thing, and can be retrofitted to the car. Basically, the horn input cables would plug in to the PCB, and whenever the horn is sounded for less than half a second, it triggers the chirp. As soon as the horn is sounded for more than 0.5s the actual horn is used.

I will have to get a timer on it to see exactly how long the notification beeps are, but I think that should filter out all of those, and any manual horn blasts would be more than 0.5 seconds.

I'd be interested in your thoughts or comments (positive or negative), particularly in regard to safety, legality or usefulness.

* Not sure what to call it other than a chirp. Maybe a blip-blip noise? Well, not a full on horn blast anyway!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The Ampera already has a chirper sound which is used for pedestrian warnings. It would be an improvement to use that instead of the horn... or does it do that already?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the only horn alert that you cant stop from the config menu is the charging notification.
I wonder if would even be legal to introduce a .5 sec delay on the horn?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There is another Beep noise too.. its a nice quiet tone beep that sounds when the preheat cycle finishes it'd be much more appropriate for things like charging or keys left in car..

It'd be a much neater solution to hack the cars firmware rather than try botching with the horn, I wonder if that is even possible or if its encrypted...

As an aside Semach have you checked out the OVMS system?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not had a play with the preheat stuff yet, but if it uses a different sound device then that does open the possibility of a firmware update. However, hacking the firmware is beyond my abilities, whereas putting a small circuit in parallel with the horn isn't.

Yes, I've had a look at OVMS. Looks great, and almost certainly something I'll be going for in the future. But not just yet. I've just spent all my money on a new car :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts