Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model S, Ford Transit Flt Bed (Smiths), Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Vectrix VX-1, Aixam Mega City
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(As you probably gathered, I got carried away in my title - serves me right for trying to do it on a smart phone!)
It occurred to me over the weekend that there is no technical reason why one could not add a tethered T1 or T2 plug to a socketed EVSE or, indeed, add a tethered T1 plug to a tethered T2 EVSE (or VV). I think the only issue will be having to switch the PP & CP between the 2 as the car's charger won't switch on if they are not all present and correct. So that would mean a small, cheap relay as the main conductors won't need switching. Such a mod would make one's EVSE much more flexible so it could be used for nigh-on all EVs. Anyone got any observations?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
What's the different between that and just leaving the cable plugged in? Am I missing something?

Chap on leaftalk has made a box to take a Type 2 in and provide a Type 2 socket out (so it can then be used with Type2 - Type 1 cables).

·
Registered
Tesla Model S, Ford Transit Flt Bed (Smiths), Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Vectrix VX-1, Aixam Mega City
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Am I missing something?" You are if you don't want to leave the cable plugged in. You may be less lazy than I am but I'd rather not have to faff about plugging and unplugging my cable at home every night/morning, getting wet and/or mucky hands each time. This gives you the best of both worlds. If you have either a tethered T1 cable or a tethered T2 cable you can add the other and then make your EVSE pretty much universal. Or, you may have started off with one EV and want to progress onto another which uses the different lead. Rather than ditch the first, why not just add the second? I'm beginning to wonder why it isn't offered as an option to make even more money out of us.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Just buy a second cable. Can't be more expensive than converting to tethered... can it?

Or perhaps it is me that is missing something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts