Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone advise the beat coolant to use in GTE - mine needs topping up.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure how much it holds, Just top it up and regularly check it. I would look for leaks tho as it shouldnt go down.

I would use VW G (not sure if its still G13 never used anything else in all my vW's

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
426 Posts
You shouldn't ever lose coolant. You almost certainly have a leak around the water pump area, they are notorious for it. Look for damp spots or coolant marks near the gearbox end of the block and look for whisps of steam when it's fully up to temperature. Or just run it in electric mode all the time and get rid of the pointless dinosaur juice bit. :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You shouldn't ever lose coolant. You almost certainly have a leak around the water pump area, they are notorious for it. Look for damp spots or coolant marks near the gearbox end of the block and look for whisps of steam when it's fully up to temperature. Or just run it in electric mode all the time and get rid of the pointless dinosaur juice bit. :)
I thought the engine water pump was electrically driven so the vehicle could pre-warm the engine and also pull heat from the engine for cabin heating when running in electric mode.
Not sure if the GTE has a mechanical driven water pump like the standard one found on most TSI engines.
I think it has an electrical water pump.
The car has two methods of providing heat to the cabin.

4E7CCFF1-5042-4778-9104-F19DBFCDA734.png

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
426 Posts
I wasn't talking about how it's powered, I was talking about the fact that it leaks ... I think you're right that the one that has failing seals is electrical, but a lot of them have a mechanically coupled water pump as well as the electric one.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The GTE has an electric water pump only. There is no cambelt-driven water pump. This is because the engine is cooled and warmed on demand by the hybrid system (it also lets the hybrid system scavenge heat from the engine for the cabin while driving with the engine off.)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
but a lot of them have a mechanically coupled water pump as well as the electric one.
Yes they do, but not the GTE.
No mechanical belt driven water pump in the engine block.
The GTE has an electric water pump only. There is no cambelt-driven water pump. This is because the engine is cooled and warmed on demand by the hybrid system (it also lets the hybrid system scavenge heat from the engine for the cabin while driving with the engine off.)
Thank you @tom66 (y)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Bottom line is that fluid loss is a bad sign and the cause needs investigating, not just topping up.

Reactions: Carty

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Is it the engine coolant or the battery cooling circuit, the one with the seal on it?

Either way, neither should be dropping, and the reason needs investigation.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
426 Posts
It's the engine coolant. Prepare for a £300 bill ... or be thankful it went under warranty ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts