Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our annual holiday is approaching fast. Traditionally, it's 2 weeks in Cornwall, St Agnes to be exact.
Amazingly, the girlfriend suggested we take the Leaf. She's been driving it quite a bit this weekend after some gentle prodding, and now she loves it.

Are we mad to be considering a jaunt into the pirate wilderness? As far as I'm aware, the last rapid is in Exeter, and we'll be relying on accommodation charging from there onwards.

Any ideas welcome :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I live in Saltash, near Plymouth so if you fancy a coffee, chat and charge on your way past then let me know I could meet you while you charge :)

There is a rapid charger at the Nissan dealer in Plymouth... Vospers... at Marsh Mills roundabout on the A38. It is an easy 50 miles drive from Exeter and just 5 miles from my house :)

There is a POLAR 32A charging at Waitrose, Saltash... 1 mile from my house :)

There is a taxi company, C&C Taxis, in St Austell that runs Nissan Leafs. They have had a rapid charger installed and are happy for people to use it by prior arrangement. St Austell is just 42 miles from the Vospers rapid and just 25 miles from St Agnes :)

So, if you contacted C&C Taxis and arranged to use their rapid charger on the way down and again on the way back you could very easily get to your accommodation using rapid chargers. Then use destination charging over night while on holiday, then rapid charge back.

The best way to contact them is via Twitter @c&ctaxis

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Are we mad to be considering a jaunt into the pirate wilderness? As far as I'm aware, the last rapid is in Exeter, and we'll be relying on accommodation charging from there onwards.
Assuming the 'rapid' charging is reliable enough to allow you to reach Cornwall then you'll have lots options for charging once there. Here's the latest ZeroNet map which includes pubs, activity centres, National Trust, and car parks that will provide charging while you eat/play/park :)

ZeroNet_Cornwall_19_January_2014.png

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.

I didn't know about Vospers Nissan and it's amazing to find that a taxi firm has gone to the trouble of installing a rapid charger. I guess it does make economic sense.

It all looks do-able, and once settled in St Agnes we don't generally venture that far, so everything we'd need looks like it's in round-trip-range. There appears to be a ZCW point at a farm B&B not far from where we normally stay, according to the zeronet map, so we might stay there instead.

Paul, I'll keep you posted on a possible meet :)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
There appears to be a ZCW point at a farm B&B not far from where we normally stay, according to the zeronet map, so we might stay there instead.
And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the ZCW charger business model. Fit a free charger, offer a few £ of free electricity and slowly you will find you get a little extra custom.

I have quite often picked lunch locations based on where has a charger, and even arranged meals out for groups at places I can charge. I have tried to get a few of my local-ish haunts to install one, but they seem sceptical - even though it would be free and at the very least I would visit more often!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the ZCW charger business model. Fit a free charger, offer a few £ of free electricity and slowly you will find you get a little extra custom.
Correct.... Best Western have more than 70 locations in the UK live today, and the National Trust more than 20, and that's just the first phase rollout :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Vospers Plymouth Rapid charger is outside the Nissan Showroom which is straight ahead as you drive in, it's only available during working hours as the barrier will go down out of hours for security. The Sales team will happlily assist any Leaf driver in working hours but i'd certainly suggest phoning ahead to let them know. Vospers currently run 6 leaf's, one of them being my company car.
Opening Hours are:-
Sales 8:30 - 18:00 Monday-Friday 8:30 - 17:00 Saturday 10:00 - 16:00 Sunday
Local number is 01752 63 63 63

I hope that helps and good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
Hawkins Motors (where I bought my Peugeot iON from) have apparently installed 2 rapid chargers in Cornwall (the letter I received says they charge to 80% in half an hour, so I assume they're CHAdeMO units). One is at their St. Stephen location (near St. Austell) and the other is at their Hayle location (behind a retail park on the A30).

Disclaimer - I haven't seen or used these chargers yet, and they are at Peugeot dealerships, so I don't know if they would allow charging of a different make.

Another new location is at the new Sainsburys just outside Penzance - operated by Pod-Point (who seem to ignore any attempt to get in contact with them about obtaining a card to operate their chargers).

·
Banned
558 Posts
Disclaimer - I haven't seen or used these chargers yet, and they are at Peugeot dealerships, so I don't know if they would allow charging of a different make.
The principle of 'open' charging has been well established -everywhere I've been - including at Nissan, Toyota and some Renault. I would be good for you as a Peugeot-owner that that is the system?
When you get in the CHAdeMO habit it will liberate your iON and you will be praising Nissan dealership - continuously!

Reactions: misterbleepy

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wonder if the garage will leave the chargers switched on and usable 24 x 7 ? Not sure if there's a precedent, as I think these are the first (and only) rapid chargers in Cornwall. I should check and see if the Toyota and Nissan dealerships in the county also have chargers - I don't see any on the opencharge map thing, but not really sure how accurate/up to date that is around here.

EDIT - just found this on Hawkins website:

"Making the move into electric motoring even easier, we have also installed two new rapid chargers at Hawkins St Stephen and Hawkins Hayle - customers are welcome to use the new chargers during showroom opening hours."

·
Registered
464 Posts
More Cornwall info - I spotted a charging point at Trerice National Trust property today - a Rolec unit with a type 2 connector - no idea of the current available. The space was coned off, so a good sign that they don't want it to be ICE'd.

edit - I didn't get to try it out - we had to recharge our bicycle "batteries" in the cafe :)

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning my route to st Austell, Cornwall from near Burnley, lancashire. I have managed home to Birmingham and also home to Telford this past couple of weeks, so gaining confidence and knowledge of which chargers I can use and where they are. I can get to Moto services J30, M5 without any bother, I would normally take the A30 to St Austell but struggling with chargers on that route, so looked at going down to Plymouth where I should be able to charge but am stuck where next. Can anyone help with advice on how to get from J30 M5 to St Austell please. I am driving a Nissan Leaf Gen 1. Jan

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The A38 is the best way and not a problem at all.

From the J30 M5 services go to Vospers Nissan in Plymouth. It is pretty much on the A38 and very easy to find. They have asked if we can call first to make sure the charger is clear. Fill up there and it is just 40 miles to St Austell on the A38 then A390. Should be a walk in the park. You might want to get more than 80% at Plymouth though as there are a few hills but at 40 miles it should be fine but if you feel you need a bolt hole then there is a Best Western in Lostwithiel (PL22 0DD) with ZCW charging (they may charge you a fee). To be honest, I would have no worries about Plymouth to St. Austell with a full charge in one hop even in a Gen1.

If Vospers are funny about you charging beyond 80% then just across the bridge is Saltash (5 miles). You can stop at Waitrose (again, almost on the A38) where there are 2 x type 2 charging bays round the back of the main supermarket building. They are POLAR but are free but you will need a valid POLAR card. You could top off there on 16A but if you get a decent charge at Vospers then you shouldn't need this stop.

If you have problems at all when down this way then get in touch... that goes for anyone EVing to Devon/Cornwall :)

If you fancy a chat and charge then let me know when you are around and I'll pop over to Plymouth for a coffee at the Nissan garage. :) When are you planning to travel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Paul, Many thanks for the info. I am travelling at the end of October. I am happier now I know Plymouth to St Austell is doable. I will as you suggest ring Vospers once I am in striking distance. I am not sure how to charge beyond 80%, I have seen you can add/minus 5% but not been able to achieve this when charging. Is there a certain way to do it? Jan

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
PC > having booked a cottage with zcw charging I then bottled a leaf trip to perranporth in favour of ice.
At least the venue got a visitor they otherwise would not have had!
I am however trying another venture SW heading to Croyde this weekend.
If your bored and fancy a surf / wine ?
ZCW in tiverton Friday night post electric highway antics then back home sunday night!
Sorry OP for chipping on your elderly thread

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're heading for Croyde, stop off at sampford services (you have to come off the M5 at that junction anyway) for a rapid top-up before taking on the hilly A361 to Barnstaple.

I surf at Saunton several times a year - I love north Devon! I wouldn't take my leaf surfing though - I like having the van for getting changed in & just chilling out.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
Im actually going to a zcw location before that part so will be 100% on the A361 as yes some of those hills suck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts