Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is already out there. I did search but only found similar info for Hampshire.
I made an enquiry to Cornwall Council about costs of charging.
Here's a response from Drive EV Project, Development Team, Cornwall Development Company:

"I have heard back from SSE and Charge Point Services who will be running the chargers for the Council.
They say you will either need to sign up to the SSE RFID scheme, the cost will be a one off £20.00 to register and get an RFID card......

The cost to use the rapid chargers is set to be £4.00 for the first 15 mins (minimum charge) then £0.25 per minute thereafter......."

My reply included the following:
"Based on my own car, which is a typical EV, the cost would be equivalent to 66 miles per gallon of petrol/diesel.
The calculations for this are:
15 min charge using a rapid charger = 60% car charge capacity at best.
60% charge capacity is equivalent to approx 44 miles
£4 for 44 miles is £6 for 66 miles
Diesel/Petrol at approx £6 per gallon provides upwards of 50 mpg. Modern petrol and diesel cars can get up to 70mpg.
So, for the convenience of a longer range and quicker journey I would opt for my diesel car to journey beyond my EV range of around 40 miles......"

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
15 min charge using a rapid charger = 60% car charge capacity at best.
Not sure anyone gets that kind of percentage charge in a LEAF (as an example) maybe 40% at an outside bet, based on 80% for 30 mins?

They probably don't know how long it really takes to charge an EV, based on the official sources and what they say. Maybe your more detailed breakdown will help influence them, but I somehow doubt it based on the experience in other regions.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just as expected, Oh found a rapid charge pricing structure set nearby.
Covered arse, Box ticked:rolleyes:. Job done:rolleyes:.

Any prior research or thought gone in to that? Errr No!

Even with a totally empty battery that hurts when you consider having to drive out of your way to get there using range at these prices when away from home. Then you wonder will it be ICEd,work? Will my RFID be recognised? How much more range do I have to use if it doesn't/isn't?

Well at least you now know the cost of running around finding a charge and then getting back on your intended route again before the range you lost doing it ever turns back positive:rolleyes:.

Is the current rapid charger spacing and reliability taken in to account? Errr No!

So forced to arrive using distance range to see a net positive range uptake you could easily be left out of range as well as pocket on a £4.00 15 minute charge, especially when nearer the full end of the spectrum. Do they consider this? Errr No!

And because of all that this is totally self defeating. Hope they are proud of themselves.

And all because OLEV is not ONEV (No emission), that allowed the liquid fuel companies in on the public charging strategy under the OLEV (Low emission) umbrella. Now we get to see the consequences of politicians being in the pockets of the highest bidder.

More places for dogs to pee up, they might as well add a poop scoop disposal bin to the machine, it might be of some use. FFS:mad:.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure anyone gets that kind of percentage charge in a LEAF (as an example) maybe 40% at an outside bet, based on 80% for 30 mins?
You're right. Not sure why I thought my C-Zero could charge to 80% in 20 mins. ??

·
Registered
536 Posts
To cite what would be a 'real' example..... So the 37 minute charge I need at the last Ecotricity rapid to get me home if I use the Leaf for an M1 trip would cost me £9.50, which gets me the 65 miles back and a bit to spare. Assume 45 mpg for my ICE car (actually less than this but I drive the Leaf more carefully so for a fair reflection), this would be about 1.5 gallons of diesel or 7 lt. Just paid 1.29 per lt to fill up so 7 lt - £9.03 for the same journey. WHO SETS THESE PRICES!!!!!????? p.s I hope the price of fuel doesn't fall even further towards the reported projections of 85 per barrel or these charging prices are going to look REALLY stupid! ;-)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Cue the usual arguments:
most charging is done at home cheaply,
rapid chargers are for emergency use only so are just a "safety net",
mainly for use by electric taxis,
no pricing model that makes commercial sense (despite taxpayers paying for cost of hardware and installation)
if anyone doesn't think these charges are fair then they should start their own company offering charging,
competitive tender process,
blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
That is a huge disappointment. This effectively means I still won't be driving my Leaf around Cornwall much and will be sticking to diesel as it will be cheaper :(

I now believe this pricing (first Hampsire now Devon and Cornwall) may totally kill off the momentum towards EVs.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts

·
Banned
961 Posts
These are the very issues that any pressure group such as EVDA should be lobbying OLEV and the government about.
I completely agree - EVDA could at the very least survey its own members to get a handle on how much people are actually willing to pay. A decent study drawing experiences from different countries and the impact different prices have had on EV uptake could go a long way to persuading people. It would take some work, but it's hard to ignore if real facts are laid out. (Full facts, not just cherry picked, and not those 'personal' fact things.)

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
There's no story hear, nobody could misunderstand quoted charging times for reality, certainly not decision makers, surely...?

:D ;)
80% of 124 miles is 99.2 miles, and I can get that in 20 minutes. OK that's 74.4 miles in 15 minutes. £4 for 74.4 miles, that's only 5.4p per mile, much cheaper than diesel!

Real world is I MIGHT get 50% in 15 minutes, for me that's about 30 miles. 13.3p per mile, more expensive than an efficient diesel.

Reactions: Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
I completely agree - EVDA could at the very least survey its own members to get a handle on how much people are actually willing to pay. A decent study drawing experiences from different countries and the impact different prices have had on EV uptake could go a long way to persuading people. It would take some work, but it's hard to ignore if real facts are laid out. (Full facts, not just cherry picked, and not those 'personal' fact things.)
I think you could start a successful chip shop with that shoulderful you've got :p

1 - 20 of 185 Posts