Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be an idea to create a thread to discuss this since it's a subject that regularly comes up.

In my case I love the western tip of Cornwall, around St Just, St Ives, Sennen, Penzance, Kelynack and around there, camping with my two daughters. I'm in an iPace with real world range of about 240 miles in summer. I used to go in my X5 so clearly no issues at all but in an EV it is a different proposition.
There's the best part of bug*** all in terms of rapid charging around there other than the rapid in Penzance car park that will be massively oversubscribed in summer. Sure there are some more options inland but you've got to come 20-30 miles inland which means you can knock 60 miles off of the range of the car just to'ing and fro'ing from the chargers. The only option is granny charging which some camp sites do not permit. There are a few 7K chargers at Tesco's in Penzance which is better than nothing but thats's hardly inspiring is it?

Anyone have any "red hot information" regarding plans for more rapid charging in this area? Because until it comes I am now holidaying elsewhere, which is a shame. I do not regret going EV and I love it. The X5 had to go and I did the right thing. But Cornwall looks like it is out for the foreseeable future in the EV since I don't have the confidence there is enough infrastructure down there at busy times.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Do you need a rapid charge? How about charging from a camping hookup instead? I've done this a few times over the years, and carry a commando extension that plugs into any standard site hookup point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many camp sites will not permit it and limit the current to the charge post to 6A which would hardly make a dent in an EV overnight. Also, I have been told if the proprietor sees anyone charging their EV they may ask you to leave since it is blasting the electricity bill. I have told some of these owners they need to get with the program as EV become more popular and get a rapid or at least get sone contactless 7Kw infrastructure installed.

Even if staying in a cottage, there is precious little charging down there.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
That's a pain. I lived in Cornwall for a couple of decades, and did lots of work on hookups at sites, and back then site owners were really keen to get as many hookup points in, and keep them working, as they could, as everyone wanted them. I guess things have changed with the rising price of electricity. Pity, as most of the sites I worked on had the full 16 A available at each outlet.

We now only stay at places that have charge points, have done for years. Some make a small charge for using them (usually about a fiver) some are free. Not yet come across any that accept payment cards, though.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
676 Posts
I thought it might be an idea to create a thread to discuss this since it's a subject that regularly comes up.

In my case I love the western tip of Cornwall, around St Just, St Ives, Sennen, Penzance, Kelynack and around there, camping with my two daughters. I'm in an iPace with real world range of about 240 miles in summer. I used to go in my X5 so clearly no issues at all but in an EV it is a different proposition.
There the best part of bug*** all in terms of rapid charging around there other than the rapid in Penzance car park that will be massively oversubscribed in summer. Sure there are some more options inland but you've got to come 20-30 miles inland which means you can knock 60 miles off of the range of the car just to'ing and fro'ing from the chargers. The only option is granny charging which some camp sites do not permit. There are a few 7K chargers at Tesco's in Penzance which is better than nothing but thats's hardly inspiring is it?

Anyone have any "red hot information" regarding plans for more rapid charging in this area? Because until it comes I am now holidaying elsewhere, which is a shame. I do not regret going EV and I love it. The X5 had to go and I did the right thing. But Cornwall looks like it is out for the foreseeable future in the EV since I don't have the confidence there is enough infrastructure down there at busy times.
Well, I haven't done it, but if I was visiting that end of Cornwall tomorrow there is a fairly new double Osprey site about 25 miles from either Lands End or the Lizard (also next to a Tesla site). I'd charge to 90% there on the way down and that would easily be enough for tootling around the coast all week before stopping at the same place on the way home. There is also the Gridserve at Lands End as an additional option if you happen to be there.
I appreciate it's not great though, the chances of having to queue at these sites must be significant.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,977 Posts
if you top up at cornwall services before finshing up down near Penzance you should have plenty of range for pottering about and getting back to cornwall services or even further up to charge on your trip back? I can’t see a need to do ‘back and forth’ that much? If you’re driving around a little in the toe you won’t use many miles, and if you’re doing day trips up the leg you will be closer to drop into the services/chargers on the way?

there is a shell at Hayle that has a couple of rapids but still don’t think they’re switched on yet. But they’ll help when they do eventually. Although given the limited numbers you might need to pop over at an early time of day to try and get on?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I dont get the problem. Never enter peninsula before being fully charged at Exeter. Exeter is 120ml from lands end so you only need a little from where ever is convenient to do the day trips. You would obviously top up as you passed Osprey at Redruth. More than enough. Range anxiety has a lot to answer for even when it does not exist.

There is a campsite near Newquay that has the full range of chargers.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,504 Posts
There is a campsite near Newquay that has the full range of chargers.
If it's the one I think you mean, they were reported broken when we stayed close by last year. And the Instavolt at Padstow was out of action because of re-siting. We relied on the Shell Recharge at the services at St Columb I think it was. Had it not been for that, we would have had to brave the old Ecotricity units at Cornwall services shudder

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,618 Posts
Cornwall Services (Gridserve) was supposed to be getting a major upgrade "by the end of this year" reported in June 2021, but it doesn't seem to have happened. Anyone have more recent information?
It looks to me like the best approach to exploring that part of Cornwall is to stay a little further inland and make daily trips to the bits between St Ives and Land's End.
There's a couple of Ospreys near Camborne which should be a reliable bet, if a bit distant.
Penzance allegedly has 7kW chargers at both Sainsbury's and Tesco, but you'd have to schedule a long stay there to get a useful amount of charge.
St Ives ought to be a good place for a few chargers. (but doesn't seem to have any)

the Instavolt at Padstow was out of action because of re-siting.
I'm pretty sure that has been done and they are working well now. I very much hope so because I'll be staying close to Padstow in a few weeks and I am relying on them, even if I have to visit them in unsociable hours to avoid queues. My e-Niro should get to any point in west Cornwall and back from there

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,618 Posts
St Ives ought to be a good place for a few chargers. (but doesn't seem to have any)
Come to think of it, the best way to visit St Ives* to to stop at Leylant Saltings station on the St Ives branch line and take the train from there. The place to put lots of destination chargers would be the (sizeable) Leylant Saltings car park. You can easily spend a few hours in St Ives as well as the 20 minute train journey in and out, which would give you time for a useful charge. IF such chargers existed...

*driving in St Ives itself is an experience I've tried once and would not willingly repeat.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,504 Posts
Cornwall Services (Gridserve) was supposed to be getting a major upgrade "by the end of this year" reported in June 2021, but it doesn't seem to have happened. Anyone have more recent information?
It looks to me like the best approach to exploring that part of Cornwall is to stay a little further inland and make daily trips to the bits between St Ives and Land's End.
There's a couple of Ospreys near Camborne which should be a reliable bet, if a bit distant.
Penzance allegedly has 7kW chargers at both Sainsbury's and Tesco, but you'd have to schedule a long stay there to get a useful amount of charge.

I'm pretty sure that has been done and they are working well now. I very much hope so because I'll be staying close to Padstow in a few weeks and I am relying on them, even if I have to visit them in unsociable hours to avoid queues. My e-Niro should get to any point in west Cornwall and back from there
Yes it has been done. I recall the tweet from IV when it went back on line. It was down for about 2 months I think, so it could be shifted from in front of the gates to the next door factory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are some (10 I think) Pod Point 7 kW chargers at The Foundry, just north of Porthleven. Evidently there's a nice level walk into the town, lots of places to eat and/or spend your money and/or sit by the sea - Porthleven is pretty nice overall.
I have relatives in the area and thinking that the next visit will be done in our EV rather than our ICE car, but, yes, reliable and not over-subscribed rapid chargers aren't abundant

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
675 Posts
What about having a holiday in North Devon instead of Cornwall? There are 2 Rapids in Barnstaple. Both Tescos in Barnstaple have 4 x free 7kw chargers. Park up at Tescos, plug in and walk the 12 mins into town for brekkie at Boston Tea Party or the like. You can charger for free for 3 hours. Theres a Rapid at Braunton too and a couple in the middle of Exmoor.

Then in Bideford there are 3 Rapids. In the town a Genie Point, half a mile out theres an Instavolt, Rapids also available another half a mile at the Durrant Hotel and then again in Appledore. In fact there are lots of rapid and fast chargers in North Devon. Plus you get the cream on the scone first and then the jam - thats the proper way!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I’m in the “why do you need rapid” camp!

Many places (holiday homes/caravan parks/etc.) have proper AC charging facilities, others are happy for you to stretch as granny cable through the window as long as you ask nicely. The prices of holiday accommodation in Cornwall are breathtaking at the moment, a few £ on the electric bill is irrelevant.

A quick stop at MFG Filton on the way down will ensure you arrive with plenty to spare, an overnight on the granny mid week and before you come home, should be all you need over and above that.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Cornwall Services (Gridserve) was supposed to be getting a major upgrade "by the end of this year" reported in June 2021, but it doesn't seem to have happened.
I think someone posted a photo showing construction has started but good luck finding the relevant post.

Found it:
That was a month ago so hopefully they'll finish soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shell recharge at Penhale is your best bet - you can get 100-150kw from that. Fully charge before going on to your destination and then you should have a decent amount of charge to keep you going for day trips etc... then return there on your way back, get enough charge to get you back out of the charging desert!!

Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?

·
Registered
832 Posts

There the best part of bug*** all in terms of rapid charging around there other than the rapid in Penzance car park that will be massively oversubscribed in summer. Sure there are some more options inland but you've got to come 20-30 miles inland which means you can knock 60 miles off of the range of the car just to'ing and fro'ing from the chargers. The only option is granny charging which some camp sites do not permit. There are a few 7K chargers at Tesco's in Penzance which is better than nothing but thats's hardly inspiring is it?

Just done a Cornwall mini break in the Ioniq 5. You have not said where you start from but Ionity Collumpton on M5 and the brand new GrideServe hub which is just 10 more minutes south down the M5 (Exeter) are fantastic. I had issues with both on the round trip though. 2 out of the 4 Ionity’s out of action with the other 2 occupied. CS re-booted the 3rd bay after which it charged…at about 30kW. Got up to 90kW eventually but was sluggish.
GridServe on return journey, great speeds but then charger would not stop and release my cable! Had to call their CS to sort!
On the A30 heading to Cornwall, I used the Shell 50kW SINGLE charger at Carland Cross. Quite expensive. This is on a roundabout so approachable from any direction. Perfectly reliable. Did not have to queue. Topped up to 85% and meant would not have to worry about charging again after our stay at St.Ives.
Near to St. Ives there is a nice Tesco with 4 x 7kW PodPoints- Carbis Bay. Apparently a 2 hour time limit but comments on ZapMap say no issues after 4 hours and no fines in post. We plugged in for 1 hour while we walked down to Carbis Bay beach. Beautiful sunny day.
Next unplanned charge was at Lands End. £7 to park. Noticed a SINGLE GridServe in the car park right near the entrance. Apparently 120kW CCS…but my car charged at 30kW. (Par for the course reading comments on ZApMap if it works at all!)Only there for 30 mins and got 10% battery’s worth!
Did another 1 hour free charge at Tesco PodPoint 4x 7kW in Penzance while we were researching our B&B for the night. Had a nice chat with some people about the best places to eat there (Dolphin Tavern highly recommended!)
On way home, stopped at Shell Perhale (Fraddon) which is on the Northbound A30. 2 x 150kW units. Again worked perfectly but expensive. Great charge speeds. Porsche Taycan turned up to use the other one while we were there. Driven by an airline pilot judging from his uniform!
Will return soon to look at Port Issac and Padstow. Some Instavolts at the latter. Some Ospreys dotted about here and there. Seem to be a lot of non functional Genie Points in the area though. It seemed very off peak when we went end of last month so no queuing for chargers at all. Quiet on the roads there and back. (Recession started/cost of petrol??) Covered over 540 miles and cost about £56 in charging. Ionity for me is the cheapest but few and far between in the UK. At least you can use Tesla SC now. They must have some dotted about the place but they were not an option when we went. MM

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Just done a Cornwall mini break in the Ioniq 5. You have not said where you start from but Ionity Collumpton on M5 and the brand new GrideServe hub which is just 10 more minutes south down the M5 (Exeter) are fantastic. I had issues with both on the round trip though. 2 out of the 4 Ionity’s out of action with the other 2 occupied. CS re-booted the 3rd bay after which it charged…at about 30kW. Got up to 90kW eventually but was sluggish.
GridServe on return journey, great speeds but then charger would not stop and release my cable! Had to call their CS to sort!
On the A30 heading to Cornwall, I used the Shell 50kW SINGLE charger at Carland Cross. Quite expensive. This is on a roundabout so approachable from any direction. Perfectly reliable. Did not have to queue. Topped up to 85% and meant would not have to worry about charging again after our stay at St.Ives.
Near to St. Ives there is a nice Tesco with 4 x 7kW PodPoints- Carbis Bay. Apparently a 2 hour time limit but comments on ZapMap say no issues after 4 hours and no fines in post. We plugged in for 1 hour while we walked down to Carbis Bay beach. Beautiful sunny day.
Next unplanned charge was at Lands End. £7 to park. Noticed a SINGLE GridServe in the car park right near the entrance. Apparently 120kW CCS…but my car charged at 30kW. (Par for the course reading comments on ZApMap if it works at all!)Only there for 30 mins and got 10% battery’s worth!
Did another 1 hour free charge at Tesco PodPoint 4x 7kW in Penzance while we were researching our B&B for the night. Had a nice chat with some people about the best places to eat there (Dolphin Tavern highly recommended!)
On way home, stopped at Shell Perhale (Fraddon) which is on the Northbound A30. 2 x 150kW units. Again worked perfectly but expensive. Great charge speeds. Porsche Taycan turned up to use the other one while we were there. Driven by an airline pilot judging from his uniform!
Will return soon to look at Port Issac and Padstow. Some Instavolts at the latter. Some Ospreys dotted about here and there. Seem to be a lot of non functional Genie Points in the area though. It seemed very off peak when we went end of last month so no queuing for chargers at all. Quiet on the roads there and back. (Recession started/cost of petrol??) Covered over 540 miles and cost about £56 in charging. Ionity for me is the cheapest but few and far between in the UK. At least you can use Tesla SC now. They must have some dotted about the place but they were not an option when we went. MM
Yeesh, what a faff. If you all had Tesla model Y LR 's you would just go on holiday and not worry about it. Hey ho.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts