Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be an idea to create a thread to discuss this since it's a subject that regularly comes up.

In my case I love the western tip of Cornwall, around St Just, St Ives, Sennen, Penzance, Kelynack and around there, camping with my two daughters. I'm in an iPace with real world range of about 240 miles in summer. I used to go in my X5 so clearly no issues at all but in an EV it is a different proposition.
There's the best part of bug*** all in terms of rapid charging around there other than the rapid in Penzance car park that will be massively oversubscribed in summer. Sure there are some more options inland but you've got to come 20-30 miles inland which means you can knock 60 miles off of the range of the car just to'ing and fro'ing from the chargers. The only option is granny charging which some camp sites do not permit. There are a few 7K chargers at Tesco's in Penzance which is better than nothing but thats's hardly inspiring is it?

Anyone have any "red hot information" regarding plans for more rapid charging in this area? Because until it comes I am now holidaying elsewhere, which is a shame. I do not regret going EV and I love it. The X5 had to go and I did the right thing. But Cornwall looks like it is out for the foreseeable future in the EV since I don't have the confidence there is enough infrastructure down there at busy times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many camp sites will not permit it and limit the current to the charge post to 6A which would hardly make a dent in an EV overnight. Also, I have been told if the proprietor sees anyone charging their EV they may ask you to leave since it is blasting the electricity bill. I have told some of these owners they need to get with the program as EV become more popular and get a rapid or at least get sone contactless 7Kw infrastructure installed.

Even if staying in a cottage, there is precious little charging down there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
The MFG hub at Cornwall services is looking good. About time you can charge the car at a proper facility without getting piss-wet through if it's raining. Good to see this has been properly thought through here. The first of many more hopefully.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
The problem is IF the vast majority only plug in when they stop for food there there will never be enough charging. The spike in demand for food at middayish will create a spike in charging that can never be satisfied as it is unecononomical to have that capacity of charging. Even petrol stations could not cope with that behaviour!
Indeed. The big difference though is that with petrol/diesel refuel, the process as we all know takes a few minutes, allowing for a rapid turnover of cars needing refuelling. This is not the situation with EVs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
In case anyone else finds this thread interesting and is worrying about mammoth holiday journeys in their EV... Here is my story, driving from North Yorkshire to Constantine Bay, near Padstow in a 64kwh Kia e-niro 4+. Car packed to the rafters, but no external luggage, and 4 people travelling, inc. driver. I used ACC set to 65mph motorway/duals and 55mph on single roads (apart from overtakes) - although in reality those speeds were pipe dreams due to traffic and the Cornish roads.

<snip>
Very interesting account and thanks for sharing. However, I note you were not travelling in peak season when the kids are all off and hundreds of thousands of cars are heading to Cornwall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts