Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I’m in the “why do you need rapid” camp!

Many places (holiday homes/caravan parks/etc.) have proper AC charging facilities, others are happy for you to stretch as granny cable through the window as long as you ask nicely. The prices of holiday accommodation in Cornwall are breathtaking at the moment, a few £ on the electric bill is irrelevant.

A quick stop at MFG Filton on the way down will ensure you arrive with plenty to spare, an overnight on the granny mid week and before you come home, should be all you need over and above that.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Agreed, people are vacationing wrong. Should pick an area with good charging network, like inside the M25 where there are over 10 SC sites. Perfect.
We’re at a caravan park in Cornwall at half term and renting a holiday home in Devon in August. We made a special effort to only book accommodation that provides charging facilities.

For the providers of holiday accommodation, the cost of providing charging facilities is trivial. Vote with your wallets people, give your money to those who get it…

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?
I bought a 10m granny and have always managed to get it to reach. If I can, I slow the granny down to 6A (eg if the car isn’t moving for a few days).

Never use a standard extension with a granny, that is a recipe for disaster. You can get “special” extension leads made with 1.5mm arctic flex, but these should be a used only with extreme caution.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Does anyone know the power of this charger I have discovered is at the Cornish holiday park we might be visiting?

View attachment 162223

Just wondering if it is granny-speed (well, it is free!), home charger speed or higher?
Very likely to be 7.4kW. Maybe 22kW if you’re lucky enough to have a car that can charge at that speed on AC.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My cable is a very thick one that came with the car. Will that do the job?
There are a few ways to tell.

First look at the connector. If all 5 of the big pins have metal in them then the plug is 3-phase. If the 3 in a row have metal but the bottom 2 big ones don't, it is definitely single'phase.

Next see what is printed on the cable itself. If it says: "3x6mm + 1x 0.5mm" then it is a single-phase cable. If it says: "5x6mm + 1x 0.5mm" then it is 3-phase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts