Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
355 Posts
Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?
Probably “don’t use an extension cable”… many are not designed for such sustained loads (though if you hunt around here you may find one or two recommendations- sorry, I can’t remember at the moment).

Also, check the wall socket to make sure it doesn’t get too warm when you’re charging.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
355 Posts
I assumed most people used an extension cable? Or do people just use an external socket?. The 3 pin charger on my etron has about 6 ft of wire so would be hard to plug in otherwise.
That’s very short… You can get a good quality 10m cable from Screwfix for £200. That’s what I’m using as I write (on holiday in Dorset), plugged into an outside socket. It may be slow but I have had a week exploring and not had to think about finding a (working, available) public chargers - result!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts