Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shell recharge at Penhale is your best bet - you can get 100-150kw from that. Fully charge before going on to your destination and then you should have a decent amount of charge to keep you going for day trips etc... then return there on your way back, get enough charge to get you back out of the charging desert!!

Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably “don’t use an extension cable”… many are not designed for such sustained loads (though if you hunt around here you may find one or two recommendations- sorry, I can’t remember at the moment).

Also, check the wall socket to make sure it doesn’t get too warm when you’re charging.
I assumed most people used an extension cable? Or do people just use an external socket?. The 3 pin charger on my etron has about 6 ft of wire so would be hard to plug in otherwise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need a good heavy duty extension cable. Those supplied by Toughleads have been recommended by others on this forum. Even then it's somewhat risky and should not be relied on for daily charging.
Thanks. I might give this a look. Or stick to public charging…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts