Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,491 Posts
Cornwall Services (Gridserve) was supposed to be getting a major upgrade "by the end of this year" reported in June 2021, but it doesn't seem to have happened. Anyone have more recent information?
It looks to me like the best approach to exploring that part of Cornwall is to stay a little further inland and make daily trips to the bits between St Ives and Land's End.
There's a couple of Ospreys near Camborne which should be a reliable bet, if a bit distant.
Penzance allegedly has 7kW chargers at both Sainsbury's and Tesco, but you'd have to schedule a long stay there to get a useful amount of charge.
St Ives ought to be a good place for a few chargers. (but doesn't seem to have any)

the Instavolt at Padstow was out of action because of re-siting.
I'm pretty sure that has been done and they are working well now. I very much hope so because I'll be staying close to Padstow in a few weeks and I am relying on them, even if I have to visit them in unsociable hours to avoid queues. My e-Niro should get to any point in west Cornwall and back from there

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
St Ives ought to be a good place for a few chargers. (but doesn't seem to have any)
Come to think of it, the best way to visit St Ives* to to stop at Leylant Saltings station on the St Ives branch line and take the train from there. The place to put lots of destination chargers would be the (sizeable) Leylant Saltings car park. You can easily spend a few hours in St Ives as well as the 20 minute train journey in and out, which would give you time for a useful charge. IF such chargers existed...

*driving in St Ives itself is an experience I've tried once and would not willingly repeat.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I assumed most people used an extension cable? Or do people just use an external socket?. The 3 pin charger on my etron has about 6 ft of wire so would be hard to plug in otherwise.
You need a good heavy duty extension cable. Those supplied by Toughleads have been recommended by others on this forum. Even then it's somewhat risky and should not be relied on for daily charging.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Obviously check out on zap map the day before you set off in case of issues with chargers en route.
Better still, WattsUp for real time updates as you go.

Please let me know how they go - I will be using them for local miles when staying near Constantine in July!
I'll try to remember to report on all chargers I visit.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Anahata said:
I'm pretty sure that has been done and they are working well now. I very much hope so because I'll be staying close to Padstow in a few weeks and I am relying on them, even if I have to visit them in unsociable hours to avoid queues. My e-Niro should get to any point in west Cornwall and back from there
Please let me know how they go - I will be using them for local miles when staying near Constantine in July!
I'll try to remember to report on all chargers I visit.
Here's a summary of the whole trip, which I hope I've remembered accurately enough:
Car is Kia e-Niro with >270 mi. range in current weather.
Trip from West Yorkshire (near Keighley) for a week based near Padstow:
Plan for outgoing trip was to charge at MFG Filton (Bristol) which is easily reachable (220mi) from 100% start, and then possibly straight to destination from there.
As It turned out, and not surprisingly, I needed more stops than the car did.
So:
  • First stop for a coffee and loo break at Keele services. The two Gridserve chargers were unoccupied so I plugged in for a top up, with the result that I could continue the journey to Bristol with cruise control set to 70 instead of 65 as it had been before.
  • 2nd stop at MFG Filton, Bristol. All 8 bays were occupied, but one vacated after about a minute. Superb chargers - I got 76kW for a while, the most an e-niro can do. The site is much nicer than I expected, but the roads from the M6 and back are very busy so there's a bit of time lost there. We brought sandwiches with us but there's a big shop with plenty of food for sale.
  • We could have gone straight to our destination near Padstow, but really fancied a break for a relaxing mid-afternoon pint at the Jamaica Inn. Two SWARCO chargers, unoccupied at that time, so another top up to 80% while we unwound a little from several hours driving and celebrated arriving in Cornwall.
  • once at our holiday base, I only charged at the Instavolts at Padstow Petrol Station. There was always one available. The one furthest from the road is a little tricky to get in and out, needing a curved path between a cluster of cones which they don't want moved (covering underground fuel storage tank access, I think) and a lamp post on the other side, and you have to watch out for vehicles coming out from the petrol pumps, and make sure you don't miss the dropped kerb or you'll hit the road with a bump coming out. There's a typical petrol station shop and not much else to do while waiting for charging to complete, but if you like British cheese, the Padstow Cheese Company in the unit next to the petrol station is not only a cheese maker, but has a retail outlet upstairs. There are absolutely no signs advertising this on the outside; I only discovered it by being nosy. Signage is on the way, the lady said.
  • Longest day trip was to Mousehole, only 100 miles round trip. I could have reached anywhere in Cornwall from Padstow without needing to charge, so didn't use the chargers at Hayle, Camborne, St Erth, Cornwall Services, Bude or wherever else they exist.
  • Return journey home: Exeter services with the 12 new Gridserve chargers, quite busy even at about 8:30am on Saturday: plenty vacant when we arrived, but only about 3 vacant when we left. Then MFG Filton again, and another MFG in Birmingham, which, due to a Satnav programming error, turned out to be a single Instavolt in a downmarket petrol station, not the 6 bay hub we were expecting, but it worked fine so we used it.

All charges were limited by the car to 80%, and most took about half an hour. Every charger worked, though one time the Padstow Instavolt declined my card and I had to use my phone with GooglePay instead.

A few general observations:
  • I deliberately chose hubs with several reliable chargers, but it's quite clear that a lot of other EV drivers are doing the same, so multi-bay sites are quite busy.
  • Chargers that let you plug in first are FAR easier to use than ones that make you swipe your card first, press a button to authorise a pre-charge, press a button on a different screen to say which connector you are going to use and then finally plug in.
  • I look forward to the day that I can pull in at literally any MSA and know there will be a charging station with at least 6 bays. I had no delays this time, but it's not peak holiday season yet and the number of EVs on the road is steadily increasing. I would expect the same trip in July or August to be hampered by charger queues.
  • Trips that long really are not a problem for a car with over 200 miles range, and it doesn't need to be more, but charger provision is only just keeping up with demand.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Why? I've had a Renault ZOE, a BMW i3 and now a Hyundai Kona. None of them have ever limited rapid charging to below 100%.
I can set the limit to any multiple of 10% up to 100%, on the dashboard. I chose to set it to 80% because charging gets slow at higher states of charge, and by presetting a limit I can get a quick estimate of how long it will take.
We were sitting in the car waiting by the time the charge ended, so no time was wasted. 80% it's over 220 miles, more than enough to reach the next stop.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The place to put lots of destination chargers would be the (sizeable) Leylant Saltings car park. You can easily spend a few hours in St Ives as well as the 20 minute train journey in and out, which would give you time for a useful charge. IF such chargers existed...
I should update that: there is now a station at St Erth which is the recommended way to take that train, and there are some chargers there (1 DC, 4 x 22W AC, Geniepoint.)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can I ask if the Jamaica inn chargers needed an account or anything setting up beforehand? Never used Swarco Connect before.
No, by deliberate planning none of the chargers needed an app or an account. They all worked on my VISA card, except the Padstow Instavolt declined it once and I had to use GooglePay on my phone, but even that was fine on the card the next time.
I'd have used the Gloucester services, but suspected they'd be very busy and they have only two chargers so there might gave been a queue.
It was a great holiday, thanks!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I do.... Which unit is it? It's not even on Google maps!
The cheese place appears to be the block labelled "Londis" on the Google map.
No proper web site, by they are on Facebook

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The MFG hub at Cornwall services is looking good. About time you can charge the car at a proper facility without getting piss-wet through if it's raining. Good to see this has been properly thought through here. The first of many more hopefully.
After posting rather sceptically about MFG last year when they announced one of their early charging hubs (mainly because I didn't really know who they were), I've become quite a fan, especially now I've actually used them. They are my first choice in route planning now. Multiple chargers per site, reliable, high power (150kW is more than enough for my car), contactless card payment - what's not to like, except there's not enough of them?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This is what had you confused:
The MFG hub at Cornwall services is looking good.
I was confused too , as I thought, correctly as it turns out, that Cornwall Services was and will continue to be Gridserve.
My remarks about MFG generally (in response to the above) still stand. I like Gridserve too :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We did try to charge at Exeter IKEA, but the charger was [email protected]
So went to the M5 Moto Exeter services, and we ended up accidentally charging to 100%
Given the number and quality of chargers at the Exeter M5 services now, I can't imagine why you went anywhere else first, unless you had other reasons for wanting to visit IKEA.
And for the same reasons, charging to 100% on one of them scores very low on the antisocial scale. 12 new ones, 2 old ones (still working) so should be a rapid turnover of charger availability for others.

And congratulations on coming up with a complete set of figures for kWh, miles and costs. I forgot to record enough details for that on my recent similar trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts