Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
360 Posts
Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?
Probably “don’t use an extension cable”… many are not designed for such sustained loads (though if you hunt around here you may find one or two recommendations- sorry, I can’t remember at the moment).

Also, check the wall socket to make sure it doesn’t get too warm when you’re charging.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
672 Posts
Rather a flippant comment from Crypto Kid.

A Tesla Model Y LR is far far out of the reach of the "average man". The Model Y is a £55 grand car. I suspect just 1% of the driving public can afford such a car, maybe even less than 1%.

The cost of EV purchase/lease has soared over the past 12 months and the 'average man' is probably stretching it to afford a Leaf/Kona/Mini. Indeed many hopeful EV owners have been priced out of the market of late. Even the 'affordable' MGs have become much more expensive that last Autumn. And 2nd hand EVs have gone up in price by up to 50% since just 12 months ago

Great if you can afford a Tesla and maybe many drivers aspire to one day maybe, just maybe, getting one. Until then most of 'us' will have to deal with the range / charging limitations of our cars and live accordingly.

On that basis the information from various posters above will be of interest and hopefully of use to many EV owners who will be travelling to Cornwall/Devon this summer. (incidentally the Cornwall services Gridserve installation is progressing at pace)

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
672 Posts
Great Idea to stop at MFG Cribbs Causway / Filton before heading down the poorly serviced (no pun) M5. I've charged there quite a few times at MFG Cribbs. 8 x 150 kw chargers I seem to recall and I've never seen more than 2 others being used when I have visited. Last time just a few weeks ago one charger was being used by a Ukranian VW e-Tharu . An interesting car with just a 44kwh battery . MFG also has a Greggs, decent toilets and a picnic area too.

In case all the MFG chargers are being used you have 4 Instavolts at Macky Ds and 3 Gridserves at Mollies, plus a variety of other chargers all within 3 mins of the MFG hub.

Cribbs/Patchway is now a great place to get a Rapid charge.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
656 Posts
Yeesh, what a faff. If you all had Tesla model Y LR 's you would just go on holiday and not worry about it. Hey ho.
The last SuC site in Cornwall is right next to the last decent non-Tesla charge site (the fairly new double Osprey I mentioned above). Getting there from Exeter or Cullompton should be easy. So actually, the only difference between the Tesla and non Tesla in Cornwall is that you might have to wait at the Osprey for a while when it's busy - they could do with more than two chargers. All the stuff about charging after that is unnecessary faff unless your car doesn't have enough range to get around the end of Cornwall for a week. Which would be pretty unusual for any non Tesla equivalent to the Model Y.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Agreed, people are vacationing wrong. Should pick an area with good charging network, like inside the M25 where there are over 10 SC sites. Perfect.
We’re at a caravan park in Cornwall at half term and renting a holiday home in Devon in August. We made a special effort to only book accommodation that provides charging facilities.

For the providers of holiday accommodation, the cost of providing charging facilities is trivial. Vote with your wallets people, give your money to those who get it…

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably “don’t use an extension cable”… many are not designed for such sustained loads (though if you hunt around here you may find one or two recommendations- sorry, I can’t remember at the moment).

Also, check the wall socket to make sure it doesn’t get too warm when you’re charging.
I assumed most people used an extension cable? Or do people just use an external socket?. The 3 pin charger on my etron has about 6 ft of wire so would be hard to plug in otherwise.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,601 Posts
I assumed most people used an extension cable? Or do people just use an external socket?. The 3 pin charger on my etron has about 6 ft of wire so would be hard to plug in otherwise.
You need a good heavy duty extension cable. Those supplied by Toughleads have been recommended by others on this forum. Even then it's somewhat risky and should not be relied on for daily charging.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Im intrigued by people suggesting to use granny charger at holiday accomodation. Is there anything to take into consideration?. I tried to use my granny charger at families house before, using a decent extension cable passed throught the window --- the extension cable started to produce a strong burning smell after about an hour. Any tips for charging from mains?
I bought a 10m granny and have always managed to get it to reach. If I can, I slow the granny down to 6A (eg if the car isn’t moving for a few days).

Never use a standard extension with a granny, that is a recipe for disaster. You can get “special” extension leads made with 1.5mm arctic flex, but these should be a used only with extreme caution.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The last SuC site in Cornwall is right next to the last decent non-Tesla charge site (the fairly new double Osprey I mentioned above). Getting there from Exeter or Cullompton should be easy. So actually, the only difference between the Tesla and non Tesla in Cornwall is that you might have to wait at the Osprey for a while when it's busy - they could do with more than two chargers. All the stuff about charging after that is unnecessary faff unless your car doesn't have enough range to get around the end of Cornwall for a week. Which would be pretty unusual for any non Tesla equivalent to the Model Y.
You cant pootle round Cornwall for a week on 300+ miles of range? it would take me about 1hr max on any SC to get to 100% SOC. Do you like to force the family to drive constant laps of the coast for pleasure?

·
Registered
Enyaq iV 80
89 Posts
Cribbs/Patchway is now a great place to get a Rapid charge.
It is, but the only hub on M5 until the busy Cullompton services. I've been to Cribbs off-peak, and the instavolts are queued up, and half the MFGs in use. So I imagine it could get busy on a Saturday in the summer. Looking forward to when Strensham and Gloucester hubs get built, but they're not even at planning application stage I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need a good heavy duty extension cable. Those supplied by Toughleads have been recommended by others on this forum. Even then it's somewhat risky and should not be relied on for daily charging.
Thanks. I might give this a look. Or stick to public charging…

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
672 Posts
Morning all, any recommendations for charging around Bude?
Where are you starting from as that would affect where you might be able to charge en route. For example around Bideford there are 4 Rapid Chargers and I believe the chargers at Callington and Holsworthy are out of action. There are also 2 chargers in Padstow and 1 charger in Wadebridge, which according to Zap map are working fine.

BUT in Bude within the car park that also houses the Tourist Information centre there is a Rapid. I go to Bude frequently and I have often seen this charger in use. I would suggest turning up early , plugging in and then going for a coffee/brekkie then returing to the car and moving it to a car parking space. Within 5 mins walk of the charger there are plenty of places for a coffee break. Or go for a lovely 40 min wander along the canalside. Watch out to ensure you pay the correct car parking fee. I use the Just Park app in Bude as then if you are running late or need more time to enjoy the town you can extend your parking without having to go back to the car.

Note that a Zap Map user advised a week ago that the screen on the charger is blank but that the charger works, so check out Zap map before you go.

As you probably know Bude can get packed very quickly and so the Tourist Information car park can easily be full before 10. Hence my suggestion to get there early if you want to be sure of getting a charge

Enjoy your visit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Where are you starting from as that would affect where you might be able to charge en route. For example around Bideford there are 4 Rapid Chargers and I believe the chargers at Callington and Holsworthy are out of action. There are also 2 chargers in Padstow and 1 charger in Wadebridge, which according to Zap map are working fine.

BUT in Bude within the car park that also houses the Tourist Information centre there is a Rapid. I go to Bude frequently and I have often seen this charger in use. I would suggest turning up early , plugging in and then going for a coffee/brekkie then returing to the car and moving it to a car parking space. Within 5 mins walk of the charger there are plenty of places for a coffee break. Or go for a lovely 40 min wander along the canalside. Watch out to ensure you pay the correct car parking fee. I use the Just Park app in Bude as then if you are running late or need more time to enjoy the town you can extend your parking without having to go back to the car.

Note that a Zap Map user advised a week ago that the screen on the charger is blank but that the charger works, so check out Zap map before you go.

As you probably know Bude can get packed very quickly and so the Tourist Information car park can easily be full before 10. Hence my suggestion to get there early if you want to be sure of getting a charge

Enjoy your visit.
Thanks for this @QPRfan. I’m coming from Hampshire.

I spotted the Tourist office one, but it’s out of order at the moment I think

Thanks again for such a comprehensive reply. Appreciated

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
672 Posts
Hampshire! We make a semi regular trip to family in Romsey from North Devon. Our current Leaf range means we have to charge at Wincanton . Then I charge in Romsey at the waitrose car park up to 100% to allow a one stop strategy on the way home.

You’ll come across the 303 and travel via Exeter? I’d fill up at either IKEA Exeter or the Exeter Services and then traverse up to Bude , If you go that way. Or consider a slightly different route. 303, then M5, off at Tiverton then up to Bideford and then along the coast road. That way you could top up at either Taunton or Tiverton services or the rapid at Lidl Tiverton or the 2 Instavolts at Tiverton leisure centre. Then you take the North Devon link Rd and fill up to 95% at one of the 4 rapids in and around Bideford. (There’s even a rapid at the new Lidl on the edge of Barnstaple , about 8 miles before Bideford and just 1 min off the main road. Maybe take in a meal whilst charging in Bideford or in Appledore? Then it’s just 25 mins from Bideford to Bude. It’s a great road for an EV . Loads of regen opportunities! We easily get 5miles per kw on the return journey Bideford to Bude

By the way. The Bude charger appears to still work according to zap map, it’s just the screen that’s broken. Why not call GeniePoint and get their confirmation of its status before going there?

And if you are going to Padstow ( Instavolt nearby) get to the car parks
early! In fact most Devon / Cornwall car parks get full very quickly, especially from May to September

shout out by DM if you need more info.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
360 Posts
That’s very short… You can get a good quality 10m cable from Screwfix for £200. That’s what I’m using as I write (on holiday in Dorset), plugged into an outside socket. It may be slow but I have had a week exploring and not had to think about finding a (working, available) public chargers - result!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You can buy a granny lead that can be set back to 6 amps (3rd Rock Energy) and EV grade extensions (Toughleads). If used with common sense (checking how hot the plugs get for the 1st 5 minutes) then you should be fine. Even at 6 amps, you can add over 70 miles overnight.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hampshire! We make a semi regular trip to family in Romsey from North Devon. Our current Leaf range means we have to charge at Wincanton . Then I charge in Romsey at the waitrose car park up to 100% to allow a one stop strategy on the way home.

You’ll come across the 303 and travel via Exeter? I’d fill up at either IKEA Exeter or the Exeter Services and then traverse up to Bude , If you go that way. Or consider a slightly different route. 303, then M5, off at Tiverton then up to Bideford and then along the coast road. That way you could top up at either Taunton or Tiverton services or the rapid at Lidl Tiverton or the 2 Instavolts at Tiverton leisure centre. Then you take the North Devon link Rd and fill up to 95% at one of the 4 rapids in and around Bideford. (There’s even a rapid at the new Lidl on the edge of Barnstaple , about 8 miles before Bideford and just 1 min off the main road. Maybe take in a meal whilst charging in Bideford or in Appledore? Then it’s just 25 mins from Bideford to Bude. It’s a great road for an EV . Loads of regen opportunities! We easily get 5miles per kw on the return journey Bideford to Bude

By the way. The Bude charger appears to still work according to zap map, it’s just the screen that’s broken. Why not call GeniePoint and get their confirmation of its status before going there?

And if you are going to Padstow ( Instavolt nearby) get to the car parks
early! In fact most Devon / Cornwall car parks get full very quickly, especially from May to September

shout out by DM if you need more info.
Thats really great helpful infomation @QPRfan. I have screenshot the info for future reference!

Fortunately, I am used to early starts and getting to places before they fill up: I am a Drone photographer, and early morning starts are the best way to avoid post-Gatwick know-it-alls who tell me I am not supposed to be doing that!! I am scrupulously drone-code-friendly but this doesn’t matter for some folks…….

21 - 40 of 143 Posts