Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition, Honey Yellow
102 Posts
48 new chargers in Devon coming
I wouldn't be too hopeful of the Gridserve Electric forecourt happening soon. They have planning permission on 10+ sites for these forecourts but only seem to be developing one a year.

Hopefully the Truro Osprey hub will happen over the winter ready for next year's season.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I doubt the problem is with Gridserve but more the probaility that the DNO will not put them on the list for infrasture mods/connection until they actually have planning permission and then the waiting time clock starts. This chicken/egg situation you see happening all the time particularly in the Western Isles.

·
Registered
2021 Lexus UX300e
3,006 Posts
Charging provision has to be profitable, and for most of the UK, there seems to be a rush from charge suppliers to put them in almost everywhere along the major trunk routes. Holiday destinations which have much less traffic outside peak periods in summer will have to think differently.
Holidaymakers bring in a lot of money to Cornwall and so it makes sense for local councils to fund their provision, including maintenance and even subsidising the cost of electricity. When I was there last, I noted the high cost of parking at tourist destinations, so some of this income could be used to fund chargers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No chance it could be ready for Wednesday then???? I've actually charged at someone's home in Falmouth courtesy of plugshare and just waiting for him to bill me, he thought around £8 but as he was running on part solar he needs to do some maths. Also arranged to charge tomorrow via Zap a bit further away near a walk we want to do. Otherwise not much in the way of rapids round here. Either way I have enough to get me to Exeter services, if I manage to charge to 80% tomorrow then can dive into Mollies at Cribbs causeway. To latest poster, if you're concerned about changing then I would try to arrange something privately through Zap or plugshare.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
675 Posts
At Cribbs I have used Mollies, MFG and Instavolt at McDonalds. Personally I prefer the MFG site opposite the Nissan Dealer as there are more chargers and better (in my view) facilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My experience of Cornwall charging is that it's pretty poor - so much so that we always wonder if it's sensible to take the Peugeot e208 or our petrol-guzzling Fiat 500X. We stay with relatives near Truro. Last time, we arrived after a slightly dodgy drive down because a lorry was on fire on M5 so access to MSA, which I was depending upon, was impossible, so we ended up at IKEA along with quite a few others - IKEA closed by this time on a Sunday. Cornwall Services was, at the time, I think, not doing anything EV-orientated because old ones were out of action and new weren't ready. (Are they now?) So we arrived in Truro with very little battery left and went straight to excellent new Lidl. But zooming around Conrwall on trips etc over next 48 hours, meant I needed to re-charge before leaving the county. Lidl at 7.00am in use with small queue, County Arms broken (a not unusual phenomenon it seems). So, with Zapmap telling me that Shell at Carland Cross and Fraddon were dodgy/broken, I headed out to a Geniepoint (!) at Trevissome Park, a small industrial estate about 6 miles out of Truro but located v close to A30. Nothing to do there except watch everyone arrive for work, but it worked very well. But, in general, Cornwall is poorly provided for - as I write, two of three rapids in Bodmin have red rings round them on Zapmap, Carland Cross (Shell) has been out of action ever since I can remember so I hope Cornwall Services is up and running at full speed! For a part of the country that depends on tourism, they need to get with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My experience of Cornwall charging is that it's pretty poor - so much so that we always wonder if it's sensible to take the Peugeot e208 or our petrol-guzzling Fiat 500X. We stay with relatives near Truro. Last time, we arrived after a slightly dodgy drive down because a lorry was on fire on M5 so access to MSA, which I was depending upon, was impossible, so we ended up at IKEA along with quite a few others - IKEA closed by this time on a Sunday. Cornwall Services was, at the time, I think, not doing anything EV-orientated because old ones were out of action and new weren't ready. (Are they now?) So we arrived in Truro with very little battery left and went straight to excellent new Lidl. But zooming around Conrwall on trips etc over next 48 hours, meant I needed to re-charge before leaving the county. Lidl at 7.00am in use with small queue, County Arms broken (a not unusual phenomenon it seems). So, with Zapmap telling me that Shell at Carland Cross and Fraddon were dodgy/broken, I headed out to a Geniepoint (!) at Trevissome Park, a small industrial estate about 6 miles out of Truro but located v close to A30. Nothing to do there except watch everyone arrive for work, but it worked very well. But, in general, Cornwall is poorly provided for - as I write, two of three rapids in Bodmin have red rings round them on Zapmap, Carland Cross (Shell) has been out of action ever since I can remember so I hope Cornwall Services is up and running at full speed! For a part of the country that depends on tourism, they need to get with it.
I gave up and used plugshare and zap, but that isn't sustainable. Its not a priority for what are still a minority of visitors unfortunately...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,614 Posts
I spent a week in Corwall in June this year. Luckily, staying near Padstow which has two Instavolts at the Padstow Petrol station. No problem reaching almost any part of Corwall from there. The chargers at the Jamaica Inn also worked fine, used on the way in.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,614 Posts
There's two Ospreys at Copper Coast, Camborne and two Instavolts at MacDonalds, Redruth very close nearby.
I've never used them, but two reliable networks and 4 chargers within half a mile of each other looks promising. And they are much further west than Padstow!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV
2,531 Posts
Out and about at the weekend we spotted the two chargers at Jamaica Inn on Sunday, and also two at Strawberry Fields on Saturday (just visible over the hedge below):

121 - 140 of 143 Posts