Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This week's episode of BBC Click is an EV special. There's some fairly standard stuff on it, but a couple of things are worthy of watching. One is the Ovo energy V2G pilot and the other is the potential for Cornwall to become a major lithium supplier. In Europe, only the Czech Republic has natural supplies apparently. Cornwall. Maybe it's common knowledge in the EV community, I don't know. It just struck me as a potentially very big thing.

BBC Click

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45
2,583 Posts
Its in the news quite regularly in Cornwall. I did chat with someone who is working for the company a few months back and he said the lithium was certainly there all right but getting it economically had been the challenge. That apparently has been solved now to the point its economical for 70% of whats there and methods to increase that percentage would continue once mining was up and running. Their other big problem is getting Cornish Pasties, I kid you not, its a constant moan he said. Because the nearest supply are 8 miles return.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,743 Posts
Its in the news quite regularly in Cornwall. I did chat with someone who is working for the company a few months back and he said the lithium was certainly there all right but getting it economically had been the challenge. That apparently has been solved now to the point its economical for 70% of whats there and methods to increase that percentage would continue once mining was up and running. Their other big problem is getting Cornish Pasties, I kid you not, its a constant moan he said. Because the nearest supply are 8 miles return.
Glad to hear that construction still runs on pies (or equivalent).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
My understanding is the technology to extract lithium brine from the underground rocks is similar to fracking. Maybe some can confirm or deny?

Which will be an interesting business case.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
... Their other big problem is getting Cornish Pasties, I kid you not, its a constant moan he said. Because the nearest supply are 8 miles return.
Should be cheap as chips to go & fetch, if they get themselves an EV!

Reactions: TomH
1 - 9 of 9 Posts