Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just struck me this morning, thinking about what our world is going to look like from a financial perspective after all this is over, and many sites are predicting it will be worse than when we had the banking collapse.

I was just beginning to get excited about charge points increasing in numbers, having contacted my council, but I feel now we will likely be in recession, money will have to be directed into other things.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
Yep, that’s a possibility, but in the circumstances that’s probably ok...

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes absolutely, and there will be much more deserving needs, but it was just one of those instances where it dawns on you how things may change.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
504 Posts
Growth of charging points could just as easily be the outcome. Mind you I am known for looking on the positive side.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Given the huge reduction in NOx & other pollutants in city centres, I'm hoping there will be an even harder push to maintain that better air quality when traffic level start rising again. Would be wonderful to see a lot more restriction on ICE use in city centres. How about compulsory park-and-ride, unless you're in an EV?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am normally positive too but I just feel really low today! Sorry!

I have a feeling that whatever reduction we see in pollution will soon be forgotten when the markets need to be jump started again during recession. People will want stability, reliability and I think will choose what they know regarding choice of cars. Also I think the government will use this infection emergency to push back any climate change targets such as the phasing out of ICE.

But who knows - maybe we will see a world change in how we live and do business for the better?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I can't see any up side to the suspension of the Congestion Charge in London. I reckon pollution is going to rocket up again. That's if there is any traffic, of course. I went for a walk round my local park this afternoon and it was eerily quiet, the only sound coming from the birds in the hedges.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can't see an upturn once this is over there will be some winners but the majority will be losers.
We have had 10 years of austerity and it hadn't really ended, this will just put us back to square one.
The government will have another 4 years of power and I envisage tax rises pay freeze and benefit cuts to recover debt caused by the virus. Not forgetting the B word at the end of the year.
As for car sales what happened in 2008 nobody would commit to new car purchase. Lots of fossil powered cars produced with incentives to buy, downturn of ev sales and manufacturers not wanting to build them.
Pressure on EU to roll back on emissions penalties for 5 years or so
This could put ev movement back 10 years.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't see an upturn once this is over there will be some winners but the majority will be losers.
We have had 10 years of austerity and it hadn't really ended, this will just put us back to square one.
The government will have another 4 years of power and I envisage tax rises pay freeze and benefit cuts to recover debt caused by the virus. Not forgetting the B word at the end of the year.
As for car sales what happened in 2008 nobody would commit to new car purchase. Lots of fossil powered cars produced with incentives to buy, downturn of ev sales and manufacturers not wanting to build them.
Pressure on EU to roll back on emissions penalties for 5 years or so
This could put ev movement back 10 years.
100% agree, and very well put.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
... I envisage tax rises pay freeze and benefit cuts to recover debt caused by the virus...
The Gvt is certainly printing a huge amount of £££, increasing the national debt vastly. But this can't be repaid immediately, will take many years. Presumably the long-term of this has to be that the £ will be worth less fundamentally, as more £££ represents the same actual quantity of land/materials/stuff ?

What I'd like to understand is what the immediate effect of all this money splurge will be, supposing in 12 months time a vaccine appears and life returns to normal.

Where will all this new money have gone to? Is it available to be spent & get the economy going? This debt is "owned" by the nation, and a lot of it will be due to people in this nation (those who have bought the gvt gilts issued to raise the cash in the first place, at something like 0.65% interest rate dated 2040, something like that from yesterday's rag) and that's a very low interest rate tbh.

Is this new money simply replacing money that would have been "created from nothing" as-it-were, e.g. farmer plants seeds costing now't, waits, picks crop & sells for £££ and in a sense he's now created wealth? But thx to CV no-one's creating wealth (taking a very simplified summary view) so we're in a pause situation simply feeding ourselves to stay alive? Supposing this crisis lasts 12 months then we're all back at work, surely the true cost will only be the food & heating & clothing required to have kept us alive? In which case, it's not very much at all in the grand scheme of things .

This is a very simplified model, but it's how I like to analyse a problem. But I'm not an economist! I see it in engineering terms - "Sheesh there's a problem in the mechanism, shut it down & wait 12 months to cool off before we restart it. Take a long unpaid staycation before the project ramps up again, and borrow whatever you need to feed yourself while we wait. The company will pick up the tab and we'll sort the bills afterwards."

All the issues of medical support, hibernating some parts of industry but not others, are ripples on the surface in terms of magnitude surely.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't think GeniePoint will mind me sharing this email from them.

Dear GeniePoint Network User,

In light of the ongoing situation regarding Covid-19, we would like to reassure you that the GeniePoint Network is fully functional and operational nationwide. GeniePoint Network chargers are PAYG, so there is no need to have contact with another person when using the chargers.

However, you will need to handle the charger handle whilst connecting to your vehicle, and the touch screen even if you are using the GeniePoint mobile web app, so we would like to remind you of the Government’s advice when touching surfaces in the public domain.

If possible, be prepared ahead of your journey so your car is equipped with essentials.

• Consider carrying disposable gloves in your vehicle to use when handling the charger.
  • Use the gloved hand to handle and operate the charger, the other to use your mobile phone and RFID card.
  • Use a disinfectant wipe to clean the charger handle and touch screen before use. If neither of the above are available, paper towel can be used to hold the charger handle.

Please make sure you dispose of gloves and wipes responsibly after use.

• If possible, wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water after using the charger. If washing facilities are not located near the charger, use hand sanitizer as an alternative.
  • Don’t forget to remove your gloves or wipe your vehicle door handle before re-entering your car.

Our customer service team are available 24/7 on 0203 598 4087 to give you any help and advice you may need whilst using the GeniePoint Network.

We hope all our customers stay safe during these difficult and uncertain times.

Kafil Sardar

Customer Service and O&M Director

ENGIE EV Solutions

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chargemaster point in orchards carpark Hayward’s Heath today completely dead.

Told by the most “couldn’t be bothered” staff on the helpline its a private point they cannot help with.

No staff to ask, just me in my scrubs trying to charge to get home Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

This is what will stop mass adoption! Im so sick of it!!!!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mass adoption, lol! There is no decent selection of EVs, mostly all are too expensive, charge to slowly and public charging is a joke. I don't know anyone in my group of friends that would consider an EV in the near future.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

1. Mass adoption, lol! There is no decent selection of EVs, mostly all are too expensive, charge to slowly and public charging is a joke. I don't know anyone in my group of friends that would consider an EV in the near future.
    You need to get a new group of friends, ones with "electrifying positivity".😁

1 - 15 of 15 Posts