Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
It could become a self-fullfilling prophecy. If fewer people buy ICE secondhand it will drive their values down and hence increase the cost of ownership of new ICE and hence their attractiveness.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I suppose it is wishful thinking that this clear association between ICE use and air pollution might lead to a big push to switch to EVs once the lockdown is over?

Coronavirus lockdown sees air pollution plummet across UK
Whilst I’m generally an optimist and would welcome anything that helps people make that connection, it’s also the large scale shutdown of industry and most other transport (airlines etc) that is contributing. What percentage I don’t know.

So, it needs to be recognised that it isn’t just cars that pollute.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Airlines pollute high up away from the sensors and industry is strictly regulated with lots more off gas treatment. Cars and log burners are the worst

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Cars and log burners are the worst
I'd add in all road transport and the concentration along busy roads and in cities. PM2.5 seem a particular hazard.
Yet despite this we accept the 29,000 deaths each and every year in the UK alone as collateral damage for our lifestyles.
Why? Is it perhaps that the poor and ethnic minorities are disproportionately affected? I note that despite the warm weather and the need for healthy lungs there has been no attempt to ban log fires or diesel cars as a temporary measure in London. I wonder why not? :unsure:

·
Registered
16,930 Posts
Airlines pollute high up away from the sensors and industry is strictly regulated with lots more off gas treatment. Cars and log burners are the worst
Apart from airports, where they spend lots of time running engines on the ground. Hence they have strict start up procedures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts