Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct term for the monthly distance when your Odometer is in Kilometers.

The imperial Miles sounds right with "Mileage"

But in Metric if it followed the same formula it would be "Kilometerage" which sounds and reads wrong

without abbreviation what do you think it should be called?

Registered
Well, the French equivalent is kilom茅trage, so I guess just drop the accent and you're about there. Mind you, with an English pronunciation it does sound a bit odd, unless you're a garahge person, as opposed to the more normal garridge. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Metre RAGE!!!

Reactions: mikegs

Registered
Whilst living in Canada the reading was klicks.
How many klicks has your car done etc.
Distance between two points measured in klicks

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Whilst living in Canada the reading was klicks.
How many klicks has your car done etc.
Distance between two points measured in klicks
Klickometer that sounds right ?

Registered
I鈥檝e heard someone call the odometer a 鈥渕ile-ometer鈥 so by their reckoning it would be a kilometreometer :p

Reactions: Ian McVey

Registered
My yearly mileage is 20,000 kilometers. Mais si vous 锚tes en France, vous diriez que votre kilom茅trage est de 12.500 miles (But if you are in France, you would say that your <<kilometrage>> is 12.500 miles).

Because I speak English, but I'm based in a country with a different measuring system. Though mileage refers to the number of miles (per dictionary), I think it's fairly accepted in culture that it's used as a unit of measure for distance covered or to be covered in relation to terrestrial transport methods, when speaking in English. For sea and air, everyone uses nautical miles; how perverse!

I think kilometrage should be added to the English dictionary; it already has garbage, garage, storage, marriage, language... need I go on?

For the fun of it, German is pretty "easy":
a) Kilometerstand or Tachostand (literally, "kilometer reading, tachometer reading"; meaning: odometer reading)
b) Fahrleistung, Laufleistung (interchangeably, literally "travel performed, distance performed"; meaning: covered distance)
c) Meilenzahl (literally "miles count"; meaning: number of miles, can be used in almost any context, but strictly refers to miles)
d) Kilometergeld (literally "kilometer money"; meaning: allowance for traveling expenses at a certain rate per kilometer)

Meilenzahl is rarely used, not even in translations from English unless it's highly relevant to the story. Now there are some other options, I think the Germans are true perverts when it comes to their language, because they just come up with bullshit new words every time. Though if one uses Meilenstand (literally, "miles reading"), they'll probably be laughed at: "really? call a friend, 50-50 or ask the crowd?"

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
To anglacize it to Klickometer sounds and feels right I think if put Fathoms on my expense report I would be invited to a meeting and not with an accountant

Registered
To anglacize it to Klickometer sounds and feels right I think if put Fathoms on my expense report I would be invited to a meeting and not with an accountant
But klick is just slang for kilometre. (Canada uses km, not miles)

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
But klick is just slang for kilometre. (Canada uses km, not miles)
I know we use Kilometres in Ireland, the whole post was for me to find a word other than Mileage for my Monthly klickometre submissions.
It was quite odd a few years ago, when distances were in KM and speed was MPH, fully integrated now 馃槆

Reactions: mikegs

Registered
apparently the US is secretly on the metric system since the foot is defined as 0.3048 meters exactly & the pound is legally defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms

1 - 20 of 22 Posts