Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Thinking about getting the Corsa e with the 11 kw charger. The dealership is clueless about the car but the laminated sheet they handed me clearly states that the 11kw charger option will charge at 7 point something on a 7.4 charging unit supply. I have seen post speculating that the 11kw charging option on the car may only charge at 3.3 kw if a single phase supply.

Can anyone say for certain whether the 11kw option will in fact work at the usual stated charging speeds on single phase supplies?

Will usually be charging on 22 kw posts so want to be able to charge at 11 kw but also want to be able to use home charger at 7.4 kw.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 2020
25 Posts
Nothing to worry about, if you get the 11kw charging option you’ll be able to charge at that limit on 3 phase (aka those 22kw posts) but on single phase it’ll only go to about 7kw.

Just looked at Vauxhall’s website, I can see they’ve messed up the charging time chart. Wouldn’t be much point selling you the option if it made no difference.

Most EVs these days do the 11kw/7kw AC charging, my model 3 being one of them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You will need a 3-phase 32A cable to be able to charge with both 7kw and 11kw with the same untethered cable!

If your home 7kw charger is tethered, you will charge happily at 7kw on the single phase 32A cable supplied with the charger

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
All 11kW capable (current model) EVs in Europe seem to use the same approach of having a 3x16A on board charger where 2x16A can be combined on single phase to achieve 32A. Obviously this makes the charger more expensive than a 1x32A which is why some offer as a cost option.

3 phase is important in a lot of European mainland where it isn't possible to accommodate 32A single phase charging at home. For example our place in Spain, if we had an EV we would have to charge at 10A or upgrade our supply to 3 phase.

The old Mercedes B250 was the exception as will only charge at 16A single phase. I believe you could bodge it by using a rigged Type 2 cable, but that cable could potentially fry other EVs.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I see in another thread that it looks like the new e-Up can only do 16A single phase - another sign of cost cutting I guess?

Podpoint confirm Corsa-e does 7kW single phase and are usually correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts