Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my corsa-e for a few months now. All is ok, range isnt quite what I was expecting but now it is getting cold discovered a problem with the heating.

It doesn't work!

Can have it on max, with or without aircon on and it just doesnt get hot, or even warm.

Will be calling Vauxhall today, but wondered if a common problem, or even a known problem?

·
Registered
Corsa-E Elite
62 Posts
Mine has pathetic heating. But it does blow warm air, it's just barely warm. Nothing like a ICE car. I've sortof assumed EVs are like that because there's no waste heat to use.
On Eco mode I don't think it heats much, even with the air con on, and it can get a bit chilly!
However heated seats / steering wheel are lovely

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
What temp is it set on? I find anything under 22C doesn't get any warm air at all. 22c is the tipping point.

There's a fan speed setting in the climate control menu. I have turned mine to the highest to try and keep the car clearer and a bit more aired. It was stuffy on the lower settings. It does seem warmer doing that. I always pre heat the car in colder weather so it's not too bad when I get into it. That gives it longer to start the heating system and get it going too.

The heating is a bit Zoe like in that it isn't massively warm. It isn't as bad as the Zoe though. The Leaf is the exact opposite, it blasts you with hot air and it feels much better to be in. That was fine all year on 20.5 It was warm in winter. My ICE car at 21.5 is also pleasant. The Corsa isn't really below about 23C or so. I kept turning it onto that when I first had it. I think mine has learned (or turning the fan speed up in the auto setting) has made it slightly less crap.

If it's very cold I usually put the heated seat and wheel on. It then feels a bit more normal if the cabin still has too much of a chill.

If there is no warm air at all even when it's turn up high on auto and the ambient temperature outside has dropped below about 5c then it points to the PTZ heater not working. You should get some warm air if you leave it a few minutes.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
I've sortof assumed EVs are like that because there's no waste heat to use.
My child asked me to turn the heating down in our leaf when I picked him up from school this evening.

The leaf is my first fully electric vehicle and I have to say I’m astonished at how good the heat pump is and how little power it seems to use.

I drive round the city all day 80 - 90 miles on average and leave the heater set to 21’c with the fan set to its lowest setting, heated seat and steering wheel on and generally get ho with around 30% SOC even whe the temperature has been hovering around freezing all day.

It has definitely exceeded my expectations.

But Nissan have had a decade of making electric cars to refine them, that’s why I chose the leaf.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just a thought as I had a similar issue with my e208. are you driving in Eco mode, if so you get very little heat.

In Normal mode my car gets toasty anywhere over 22.

·
Registered
Corsa-E Elite
62 Posts
I agree with above. It needs setting to 22°C + otherwise it doesn't seem to do very much. I've been leaving it on 22 and the AC on auto and it's pleasant.

I've managed to get the preconditioning thing working and it was nice and toasty when I got in in the morning.

It charged overnight and looks like it drew another 1kWh for the preconditioning before I got out of bed. It was on 100 % when I set off, so that's convenient. 1kWh is 2% of the battery, so it certainly uses quite a bit of power. I've set it to precondition for when I leave work too, which I bet will be useful when it gets icy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my corsa-e for a few months now. All is ok, range isnt quite what I was expecting but now it is getting cold discovered a problem with the heating.

It doesn't work!

Can have it on max, with or without aircon on and it just doesnt get hot, or even warm.

Will be calling Vauxhall today, but wondered if a common problem, or even a known problem?
Hi Paul!

I can say the same as 208's plenty did:
In ECO mode you get a very little heating.
Select NORMAL mode to have proper heating. In normal if you set the climate to 19 degrees it will still be warmer than 21 in ECO.

All the best
Andras

1 - 7 of 7 Posts