Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e (Elite Nav Premium)
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my brand new Corsa-e on Monday. Boy, do I love this car. First impressions/problems:
  • I'm glad they finally added a percentage SoC to the dash, even if it is hidden away in one of the menus. The GoM is rather useless. 190+ miles at 90% SoC in this weather (sub 10°C) is simply impossible. I'd have thought it would take my previous driving into account, but this doesn't seem to be working all that well. The GoM seems to get more realistic, the lower the SoC gets, which I find odd. Either way, I'm linked up with Tronity now and that seems to be doing a much better job with the stats, giving me a measured range of 140 miles, getting roughly 3 miles/kWh. It also seems (for now) to be tracking every single journey. I wonder if this is because I always link my car with Android Auto?
  • I'm also experiencing the issue with the radio blaring as soon as I turn the car on. I use Android Auto pretty much every time I drive the car, but even so, the car should remember and simply mute the radio until I connect my phone. It even says it should connect to the last connected source in the infotainment manual, which is crap. I guess I'm just going to have to get into the habit of muting every time I turn the car off, just so I don't get a surprise when I come back to the car, at 8am in the morning. Not a huge deal.
  • The My Vauxhall app is OK. Not good, not great, just OK. "Refreshing" the car doesn't appear to do anything most of the time. The only sure-fire way to refresh anything is to completely restart the app, which in 2021 is ridiculous. Also, needing 50% SoC to preheat the car seems like an arbitrary limitation. My car's SoC will be less than 50% SoC, 50% of the time, because I charge only when I need to at rapid chargers (I don't have home charging, or a driveway). 20% would be a more reasonable cut-off.
  • The brakes seem awfully sensitive, and I don't feel super confident bringing the car to a stop. From what I understand, it uses a blend of regen braking and physical braking to bring you to a stop. It also seems to cut out around 2-3mph, causing the brakes to need an extra push that last few meters. I'll increase my following distance for the time being, just so I don't accidentally rear-end someone, as this might just be something I need to get used to. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. It also baffles me that in B mode, the brake lights don't activate. I understand that it's within regulation, but it's not an insignificant amount of deceleration, certainly a lot more than I was able to achieve in my ICE car using engine braking. I wouldn't be surprised if this increases my chance of being rear-ended. I'll stick to using D mode, for now.
  • The IntelliLux lights are amazing. I've yet to have oncoming traffic flash me, so I'm going to assume they're working as intended. But, we'll see. The auto-levelling system is a huge upgrade from my 2014 VW Polo. It's quite fun watching it work its magic. I'm curious how it works. Is it just based on the speed, or does it use the front camera to figure out the distance to the car in front?
  • I really like the reverse-camera system. Although the camera quality is rather primitive, I find the generated top-down view to be super useful when reverse-parking.
  • The proximity locking works fine, it just requires me to be really close to the driver's side door. I'm also not a fan of the beeping when the car locks, so I've just disabled proximity locking. I get on just fine pressing the buttons. Also, placing my keys in the centre console area, just in front of the cup holders (which I assume is designated for them), the car won't start. It just gives me an error with something along the lines of "key not in car". I have to move my keys closer to the dash for it to work 😬 I'm wondering if the key fobs battery simply needs replacing.
I know it seems like a lot of complaining 😅. I'm really just looking to get a bit of insight into what others experiences are regarding any of the issues listed. I should reiterate that I still absolutely love the car. It's a massive upgrade for me and, I think all of the issues I've listed above aren't really major, they might just take a bit of getting used to.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,997 Posts
I'm amazed they still haven't fixed the radio issue. I brought it up over a year ago as it's massively crap for a modern head unit not to remember the last source and just mute until it's there.

GOM never learned on the later software. The early ones did learn but changed remaining range in larger amounts at a time. For some reason when they changed to one mile increments it got bogged up. Early car would show 140 miles on start in winter and it wasn't off by much. Later one stubbornly stuck to starting up with a silly amount.

Headlights are fab though.

I used to have my key in my pocket all the time. Hands free would work from a reasonable distance so I would change the key fob battery. It shouldn't have trouble recognising the key if it's in the middle of the car. If it's the same after that then I'd probably mention it to the dealer so they can check it.

App has mostly stunk for the majority of the time I had a Corsa. It only refreshes when you start and stop the car and when it starts and stops the charge or when you manually turn the climate on from the app.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm amazed they still haven't fixed the radio issue. I brought it up over a year ago as it's massively crap for a modern head unit not to remember the last source and just mute until it's there.
Yeah it's quite infuriating. I was hoping that with it being the latest model year, and coming straight from the factory, they would've fixed such a trivial issue. It's been well over a year, and I'm sure they're aware of the problem. It's just laziness at this point. I'm thinking of taking it into my dealer and showing them. I read one of your earlier posts about it being to do with the car starting up in accessory mode. Where did you get this info? Does the system work as expected in the petrol version of the car? If so, I'd bet I can show them a side-by-side comparison of what my car does, and what the petrol equivalent does, and maybe that'll get them to pull their finger out. Or maybe, I'll email the CEO ;)

Did you ever find a way of putting up with it in the long-term? Muting every time I leave the car is fine, but it's still more cumbersome than the system just working as intended... Having a USB stick plugged in all the time won't work for me either, cause I use Android Auto :(

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,997 Posts
@Deitrix

I showed a dealer Bluetooth reconnect didn't work. Vauxhall customer care know it doesn't work. Vauxhall know it doesn't work. You can show the dealer and they'll probably just shrug. I don't know whether it's fine on the petrol ones as the only petrol one I've driven of the right age didn't even have a satnav in it :rolleyes: I've already emailed the CEO office. Several of us have about various issues. Very little progress has occurred as far as I can tell. Others that still own one may know.

I had to use a USB stick in the end. I then eventually changed the car as the general attitude of Vauxhall at dealing with obvious software mistakes that could be fixed in a short time by a competent developer was very lacking. Every potentially car I looked at I made a point of checking about Bluetooth.

So my solution ended up being changing cars (expensive but ended up being worth it)

I think you'd have to remember to mute every time you get out of the car. It's massively annoying but I can't see Vauxhall doing anything. I've never dealt with a manufacturer that has such a crap attitude like theirs. I reported issues to Rlink as Zoe I had didn't reconnect to bluetooth and played radio. There was an update not long after which fixed it. It can be fixed but Vauxhall can't or won't basically.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium Quartz Grey (Due Sept 2021)
169 Posts
Had ours a few months now and i'm loving it. I always thought i'd prefer the bigger car for my longish commute but i try and come in the Corsa as much as a i can. The commute is a mix of B roads, A roads, dual carriage way or motorway depending on which way i go and it handles all of them fine.

It is a bit of guesswork on range, most of the time its not really an issue as i know i can complete the journey with what i have but if the couple of longer ones i've done i've reset one of the trip computers before going and do a rough calculation of what average kwh i'm doing x 45kwh for the battery and see what i get. To be honest over the the 2600 miles we've done in it so far the trip computer i've never reset is showing 3.5kwh average and even when i came in the other day when it was pretty chilly it was around 3.3/3.4 by the time i got home. Back in Sept we did Chesterfield to Leeds and back, didnt go all the motorway there and when we were on there i didnt go over 65 and we did the journey with just over 40% battery left.

Not sure about the radio source, i had music via Apple Music in Carplay last night on the way home and when i got in it this morning my daughter had my phone so the radio was silent until i changed source to the radio option as the phone wasnt connected. Had it been it would have carried on from last night.

App is ok on the iPhone but not brilliant. I dont bother with the trip tracking as its hit and miss but i set up a scheduled pre-condition entry for during the week which has worked fine and most of the time i can use the various refresh options and will update. I've also managed to do some adhoc preconditioning when i've been getting ready to leave work. That said its in no way perfect and has some strange moments.

I pretty much always drive in B mode these days. For a while i didnt on faster roads but changed my mind now. It does slow a bit quicker in this mode but it shouldnt be enough for the person to rear end up unless they are driving irresponsibly and are way to close to the point where if you had to brake they would probably rear end you anyway.

I also think the intellilux lights are fantastic, its making my journey home in the dark much better currently. As mentioned you can see them switching sections off as you drive along and its a bit strange to start with seeing the full beam icon on as cars come towards you etc but it just seems to work. I've got the lights set to Auto and just leave them to work now, not let me down as yet.

I dont mind the camera but to be honest out of habit i find myself looking over my shoulder anyway!! Its handy for reversing into car parking spaces though to see the line so you know you are in etc.

I have the proximity locking on and it seems to work fine. I generally have the key in a coat or trouser pocket and just walking up to the car to either front door seems to unlock it and i can start with no issues. I actually started it the other day with the key in my coat pocket and i'd taken my coat off and put it on the back seat. Generally to start i think it just needs to detect the key in the car and its good to go. Our insignia has the keyless start and i once started it with my keys in my cricket bag in the boot! I've also not had any issues that others have had with charges being interrupted by accidental unlocking, seems to carry on regardless.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you'd have to remember to mute every time you get out of the car. It's massively annoying but I can't see Vauxhall doing anything. I've never dealt with a manufacturer that has such a crap attitude like theirs. I reported issues to Rlink as Zoe I had didn't reconnect to bluetooth and played radio. There was an update not long after which fixed it. It can be fixed but Vauxhall can't or won't basically.
Damn, that's a shame. Not the end of the world though. I have this car for 3 years on a lease, and then I'm hoping to get a Tesla M3. So, I guess I can put up with small things like this for now. It's more of a stop-gap really. Although, I took the car out on country roads last night in sport mode and damn, it's fun as hell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure about the radio source, i had music via Apple Music in Carplay last night on the way home and when i got in it this morning my daughter had my phone so the radio was silent until i changed source to the radio option as the phone wasnt connected. Had it been it would have carried on from last night.
Yeah I've read about it being a bit more seamless with Apple Carplay. Does the radio source become selected when you first enter the car? Or does it stay in sort of a limbo mode, waiting for you to connect your phone? I did a bit of experimenting last night and found that the car will remember that I had Android Auto connected, but only for 30 seconds after I've turned the car off. I assume that's when the system fully turns off and loses its memory. It's the same story with Bluetooth, and selecting profiles makes no difference. I'm gonna do some more testing tonight, in the hopes that I can find a series of repeatable steps for connecting/disconnecting that works every time. I hope the car doesn't mind being switched on/off 100 times in the span of an hour 😅

·
Registered
169 Posts
Based on last night and from what i can remember....I unplugged the iPhone last night having listened to it after turning the car off. Normally i plug the phone in prior to turning the car on and had i done that it would have carried on from what was playing last night. However on this occasion my daughter had my phone so when i started the car i went to the Audio screen and it was sat waiting for my phone to be connected so CarPlay would start up etc. I didnt leave it long as i switched it to the Radio source manually to drown out the rubbish that my daughter had playing via YouTube kids! I know in the past i've left it longer and it will sit there waiting for either you to change source or plug the phone in. From memory the same happens in our Insignia.

Sounds like there could be a difference in the way CarPlay and Android Auto handle things.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,997 Posts
I think it's a timing issue. It knows a USB stick is there faster than a bluetooth connection as the bluetooth connection seems to take an age to re-connect. So someone probably decided if it didn't find a USB stick or bluetooth connection in about 2 seconds to blare the radio instead. Increasing that wait time would fix it as well. This is what most other cars do. It's a wait muted until the last used thing re-appears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so I just borrowed my partner's iPhone, and it appears to work as expected with CarPlay. After connecting CarPlay for the first time, when I turned the car off and on again, the radio was not on. No source was even selected in the sources menu, and when I connected the iPhone, it would automatically start CarPlay up and start playing music from Spotify. I didn't have to fiddle around selecting CarPlay in the apps menu like I do with Android Auto. I guess my next phone is an iPhone 😆 I'm wondering if it might just be an issue with my phone (Galaxy S9) being just a bit too old for the system, and if a newer Android phone would have a similar issue.

Media player Audio equipment Automotive design Radio Vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I tried my other key-fob, but had the same issue with the car not detecting the key. The car starts fine when the keys are in my pocket, but not when they're literally 5cm to the left, in the little cubby in front of the cupholders. I usually take my keys out of my pocket before I get in the car, because it's a bit awkward having to fish them out whilst sat down. Just another weird quirk I'm going to have to get used to. I'd be surprised if both key-fob batteries need replacing so soon, on a brand new car.

The infotainment system is interesting in how it works. When I was playing around with it yesterday, I noticed that it takes a lot longer to start up after turning the car off and leaving it for a minute. I did this a number of times when testing Android Auto and, it showed the Vauxhall logo every time. Compared to when I approach the car and get into it normally, I never see the Vauxhall logo. Does the car use the proximity system to pre-emptively prepare the car's infotainment system?

·
Registered
169 Posts
From memory on my Insignia there is a bit in the front cup holders\cubby hole which is in front of the gear stick which is where you put the key if the battery has gone and you need to start the car. I'm wondering if there is something similar on the Corsa and when you put them there its confusing things as the battery is fine. Any reason you take the keys out of your pocket and put them inside the car somewhere? When i use the Corsa i dont think the keys leave my coat\trouser pocket any point as there is no need to. The doors unlock\lock as i walk up\away from the car and start all without having to take the keys out. Having them in any of the cubby holes just means they rattle about.

You could try putting the keys in the cup holders as a test to see if the car starts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your battery runs out you press the start/stop button with the key and it knows its present. I'm assuming the key has NFC built in should the RFID fail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your battery runs out you press the start/stop button with the key and it knows its present. I'm assuming the key has NFC built in should the RFID fail.
Yeah I've resorted to just holding the keys in my left hand when I push the start/stop button, before placing them in their designated spot. That works every time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok... My main question is. How do I get % on the GOM? I have 2020 Corsa is there an update that the dealer can perform or am I stuck with crappy mile indicator?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok... My main question is. How do I get % on the GOM? I have 2020 Corsa is there an update that the dealer can perform or am I stuck with crappy mile indicator?
My understanding is that the older cars don't have it, only the newer ones. I picked mine up last month, in November.

If you do happen to have it, it'll be in the trip computer menu on the dash. If you twist the end of the indicator stalk until the "Computer" option is selected, then you can press the button on the end of the indicator stalk to cycle through the different sub-menus. There should be trip 1, trip 2 and then a 3rd sub-menu which shows your current consumption and a percentage SoC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd love to know if it's simply because newer cars have a more recent software version. If that's the case we'll all be able to get it.
Hopefully it'll come in a software update at some point but knowing Stellantis and their software/app development and skills I most certainly wouldn't be holding my breath 😂

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's ironic the first adopters of the EV Corsas, get treated like crap when it comes to the new features on updates :( At least we got the restorative breaking from 100% now though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts