Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the group.
This is my first post and I'll try to be brief. Together with my wife we are thinking to buy a corsa e. It has a range of about 330km. I've test driven the car and everything looks nice. The only problem that I have is the range of the vehicle. I work 85 km away from home and need to travel there 2,3 times a week. I was told that during winter the maximum range of the car can drop to bellow 200km on the highway. Is it true? Also what are the pros and cons compared to a petrol car appart from the environmental impact? One last thing is that I can not install a home charger and have to charge on public chargers nearby. The price is 0.3-0.4 / kWh. Is this also worth? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
456 Posts
highway range will be less than urban range just like a regular gas car. Same with cold weather as you need energy to heat the car.

But it seems you’d be ok at least for your work trip even in winter - but you’d probably need to top up the battery after each journey. So worth looking into more detail about local public chargers and how easy it would be to use them - eg if you go to work on Monday and need to charge back up to 80-90% by Tuesday that’ll take a few hours..

Apart from eco credentials, they’re super easy to live with, one pedal driving is very convenient especially in congestion or urban traffic. Instant torque can mean even lower powered motors can feel punchy and fun to drive. you can normally precondition them so you don’t need to get into a freezing cold/boiling hot car.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
560 Posts
If you have plenty of public type 2 destination chargers near your house then it might be something you could live with as you can leave it plugged in overnight normally on those, only issues are cost, convenience and availability.

We have some in our local town that I used before we got our home charger but even though they were only a 15 minute walk away it got annoying quickly plus they weren't always available as they are free to use and in a shopping center so are very popular.

Rapid charging daily or every other day would get annoying quickly it's great for longer trips when you want to take a break and stretch your legs but they're not a replacement for destination chargers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have plenty of public type 2 destination chargers near your house then it might be something you could live with as you can leave it plugged in overnight normally on those, only issues are cost, convenience and availability.

We have some in our local town that I used before we got our home charger but even though they were only a 15 minute walk away it got annoying quickly plus they weren't always available as they are free to use and in a shopping center so are very popular.

Rapid charging daily or every other day would get annoying quickly it's great for longer trips when you want to take a break and stretch your legs but they're not a replacement for destination chargers.
Thanks for the reply, I live in an area without many electric cars at the moment. There are 3 chargers with double plugs and the furthest is 7 minutes walk from home 22kw so I think I can manage on this since we live in an appartment and I was told that we can not install charger as the complex can not cope with the power needed.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
162 Posts
There are 3 chargers with double plugs and the furthest is 7 minutes walk from home 22kw so I think I can manage
Personally I wouldn't own an electric car if I had to rely on public chargers. You can probably "manage" but it won't be convenient, and at 0.40 (euros?) per kWh the total cost of ownership will be more than a petrol car.

Also I don't think the corsa-e charges at 22kW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I wouldn't own an electric car if I had to rely on public chargers. You can probably "manage" but it won't be convenient, and at 0.40 (euros?) per kWh the total cost of ownership will be more than a petrol car.

Also I don't think the corsa-e charges at 22kW.
Thanks a lot for your answer. The price is high I agree with you. At home I could charge with 0.21 at least... is it worth charging from home plug? I can leave it for many hours if required

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,765 Posts
Without home charging it will be a bit of a pain. Corsa only charges at a max of 11kw on AC. The single phase 7kw is more common.

I'd think you'd need to borrow one for a week and see how it is before committing.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
350 Posts
Can you charge at work? Or ask to see if the Company you work for is willing to put some EV chargers in the car park?

This would greatly help you out and something a lot of people don't like asking their company for ... but many places have EV grants at the moment and often doesn't cost them a lot to install and run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you charge at work? Or ask to see if the Company you work for is willing to put some EV chargers in the car park?

This would greatly help you out and something a lot of people don't like asking their company for ... but many places have EV grants at the moment and often doesn't cost them a lot to install and run.
I can charge at work but I want to charge nearby home too. On Tuesday I'll be in the office and I'll ask the price there.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
162 Posts
Thanks a lot for your answer. The price is high I agree with you. At home I could charge with 0.21 at least... is it worth charging from home plug? I can leave it for many hours if required
In the worst case (low temps, high speeds), a home charger at 2.4 kW will get you 12 km of range per hour. So you will need to charge nearly 15 hours for your 170 km round trip. Sounds pretty inconvenient to me.

As others have suggested, a private 7.2 kW charger at your workplace would change the situation greatly.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
479 Posts
In the worst case (low temps, high speeds), a home charger at 2.4 kW will get you 12 km of range per hour. So you will need to charge nearly 15 hours for your 170 km round trip. Sounds pretty inconvenient to me.

As others have suggested, a private 7.2 kW charger at your workplace would change the situation greatly.
15 hours is plenty if you plug it in when you get home - I lived with only granny-charging Zoe for 8 months before I got a home charger (and only because I got a second EV!). Look at it this way - even if you drop the battery to near empty after a long day, plug in when you get home, it'll be 90% when you leave in the morning. Especially if you only do the drive a few times a week like OP said, I think it would be perfectly manageable (and not a hassle at all) as long as you have a convenient plug at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts